Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-03-2008
Older Junior Member

lsusailing is on a distinguished road
Cotter Pin

On my first sailboat, my rigging had circular cotter pins. My current sailboat uses normal cotter pins. I read a UK sailing publication and a writter stated he always used circular cotter pins because he has never seen one fail while he has seen many normal cotter pins fail.

So, as I think about this I am thinking of replacing everything with circular cotter pins. Wanted to poll the spiritied group on sailnet on their experience, thoughts and comments. Probably something silly but the article stuck with me.

John
sv Daphne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I like circular cotter rings for certain pieces of rigging, but they're not always practical or safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-03-2008

dealweb is on a distinguished road
My sailboat has mostly circular cotter rings and I believe that is so if a sail gets bumbed againsted the cotter ring the odds of it ripping the sail are reduced vs. using a normal cotter pin.
Old 09-03-2008

14432 is on a distinguished road
Also the cotter rings are reusable
Old 09-03-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Dawg...pls. elaborate on applications where they are not safe.
Old 09-03-2008
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Cotter rings can work themselves off whatever they are attached to. Cotter pins cannot. For this reason, cotter rings should not be used in situations where a rigging failure would occur if a ring did back off.
Old 09-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cam—

Cotter rings, IMHO, are far more likely to work loose, and I don't use them in the upper rigging, where inspection is more of an issue. I also don't use them in certain locations on my boat, like near the ama folding mechanism, since they'd take up more room and would be more likely to get damaged or jam the folding mechanism.

IMHO, they're best used where they can be, and should be, inspected regularly. Their greatest advantage is that they are relatively easy to remove and re-use, so I use them on things like the gooseneck pin of my boom, where it is easily inspected, and easily reused—since I generally remove the boom when I lower the mast.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 09-03-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-03-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
I used cotter pins this year on the turnbuckles for the shrouds. Never again. What a pain in the backside. As for ringdings working themselves off: Yeah, they can. Saw it happen on one of the fine tune blocks on the mainsheet of a J35, just as we were setting out to race. For the fixed rigging you're going to want to tape, whether you use cotter pins or ringdings, because both have sharp ends that can damage your sails and catch pant legs or shins of people working the decks. The downside to ringdings is the taped finished job will be a bit bulkier, a bit uglier than taped cotter pins. The advantages are they' re much easier to get on and off and they're more-easily re-usable.

Jim
Old 09-03-2008
Sovereign Individual

h2obo is on a distinguished road
In my turnbuckles, I tapped the holes and screwed in bolts with a nyloc nut on the other end - nothing to snag and bullet proof.

Elsewhere, I tend to use rings and rigging tape on the rings without taping them to the fitting.
Old 09-03-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
One important thing..

One important point no one has brought up is pin to hole clearance. We all know a clevis pin must be the right size for the hole it is fit into to avoid failure and maximize the contact surface area of the clevis pin to the hole in say the chain plate.

I don't like rings and neither does my rigger. Why? Pins are very hard to find in the right wire diameter for the clevis pin end holes they are intended to fit into. These holes need the proper size coter pin and that's easy as coter pins come in many diameters. A cotter pin or ring sized too small for the clevis pin hole IS a potential failure point!

I never reuse a cotter pin and I would never re-use a ring. Talk about being "penny wise pound foolish". My entire lifetime supply and assortment of stainless cotter pins cost me about $35.00 over seven years ago and I still have a LOT left.

The most important thing to consider when installing cotter pins and or rings is the fit in the hole. The pin should be as large as possible yet still fit into the hole.

Years ago I had a goose neck failure on my boom because someone at the factory used an undersized cotter pin that slopped around in the hole until it failed. I replaced it with another cotter pin, of the right size, and it's still going strong over ten years later. In fact I just passed my old boat while sailing yesterday..

I have yet to see a properly sized, bent and taped cotter pin fail though I'm sure it could happen. I have seen one ring failure due to it being undersized..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.