SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Mounting inside cabin (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/46709-mounting-inside-cabin.html)

playinthru08 09-03-2008 09:48 AM

Mounting inside cabin

Thinking about mounting a paper towel holder in the cabin and it comes with a couple of screws. Can i screw them into the fiberglass? or should i mount it some other way. My wife bought a metal frame holder so i can just use sticky stuff to fix it.

Any ideas??

Idiens 09-03-2008 09:58 AM

I'm averse to drilling holes in boats, so I would recommend the frame and good sticky stuff.

Valiente 09-03-2008 10:30 AM

A nice option is to router a piece of teak, to stain it and to glue it to the headliner or the cabin side. Screw the holder into that. I'll bet you can get a "stick" of teak for free by mooching around your club's workshop.

sailingdog 09-03-2008 10:37 AM

Generally, you're better off epoxying a wooden block or strip to the interior and screwing the item to that. The screws will hold better to the wood and you won't have holes going through the fiberglass. Screws don't really hold well in fiberglass—since it is too brittle to really grab the threads the way it should—unlike wood.

sailortjk1 09-03-2008 11:47 AM

I would have used duct tape.

ckgreenman 09-03-2008 12:11 PM

Can you tell if the fiberglass where you want to mount it is backed with wood? If so you might be ok. Otherwise I would lean more towards the "epoxy a piece of wood" idea and mount to that.

Just my $.02

I33 09-03-2008 12:39 PM

Paper towel unrolling?

One thing to think about re paper towel holders. Unless you have a way to apply some friction to the roll of towels, they will unroll in a seaway. I solved the problem by making my own towel holder from a dowel and a couple of pieces of lightweight decorative chain. The chain attaches to the bulkhead and holds the roll against the bulkhead just enough to keep it from unrolling without interfering with towel sheet removal when needed.

sailortjk1 09-03-2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I33 (Post 362462)
One thing to think about re paper towel holders. Unless you have a way to apply some friction to the roll of towels, they will unroll in a seaway. I solved the problem by making my own towel holder from a dowel and a couple of pieces of lightweight decorative chain. The chain attaches to the bulkhead and holds the roll against the bulkhead just enough to keep it from unrolling without interfering with towel sheet removal when needed.

I... you got a picture? That sounds pretty shippy. Neat idea.

ckgreenman 09-03-2008 12:44 PM

I would think most paper towel holders (at least the ones I've seen) have enough friction that it shouldn't be a problem.

sander06 09-04-2008 06:59 AM

I've found that for light weight things that need attachment to the boat fiberglass is to just use that 3M double sided sticky padded tape stuff. It holds like mad and you can remove whatever you've got stuck on the wall without having a hole to contend with. I'm going to be installing my own paper towel holder myself shortly, and that's the way I'm going. I'm tired of patching holes.