Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It would help if you said which particular bow roller you bought... since you may have bought something unsuitable for your purpose and are now blaming the manufacturer for the problem. The entire array of Lewmar bow rollers is here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
It would help if you said which particular bow roller you bought... since you may have bought something unsuitable for your purpose and are now blaming the manufacturer for the problem. The entire array of Lewmar bow rollers is here.
I did, right here: lewmar = china junk

The thing that really irks me is that when I ordered what used to the the Windline product (60lb anchor and 1" chain) was replaced automatically with the Lewmar China version, which doesn't even list what its maximum capabilities are. And, I didn't buy the product! I left it right on their counter thank you very much!
Old 09-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
so it was this one??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-04-2008

capecapt is on a distinguished road
I have been on a three-four year retrofit of a Perry designed cutter, and Lewmar has given me a run around for most of it. Very slow at getting back to me, wait forever for parts.....fired all their good help.....I will never use their product again
Old 09-04-2008
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1 View Post
It also might have to do with the fact that the wholesale price of 316L stainless steel has nearly tripled in less than two years. It's fast becoming a case of buyer beware when you buy anything made of stainless.
Ain't that the truth. We purchased a set of "Stainless Steel" flatware recently only to pull it out of the dish washer AFTER ONE WASH with rust spots on it.
Old 09-04-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
so it was this one??

Thats it. The replacement for the old Windline "AR3" Interesting the new West catalog lists it for applications up to 66 lbs!!! Windline has a website and appears to still be in business. I wonder if West just decided to discontinue relations with them...
Old 09-05-2008
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1 View Post
It also might have to do with the fact that the wholesale price of 316L stainless steel has nearly tripled in less than two years. It's fast becoming a case of buyer beware when you buy anything made of stainless. Take a magnet with you. If it sticks, it ain't 316L (the L is for low carbon) and it will rust. I've seen a lot of the stuff that's showing up that looks like 304 s/s, which is cheaper--and rusts in no time.
Quite true - and you should see what the price of quality high tensile stainless has done as well! It is also difficult to even procure the stuff in plate form in certain sizes, none of which helps the retail price points.

Anything marine and stainless these days really kicks in the "you get what you pay for" factor. E.g. stainless versions of anchors should be very significantly more expensive than the galvanized version - or there's a reason why it isn't.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Old 09-05-2008

Gary1 is on a distinguished road
SR

I don't know, man. Our most recent purchase of Lewmar stuff was a pair of heavy duty genoa rollers to replace the old ones on Breeze. We bought them about three years ago. The boss tried to get a replacement sheave a month ago with no luck. They've changed models again and are already out of parts. Now El Jeffe is faced with either having to buy another roller or having a sheave built. Either way it'll be expensive.

As to them being rude, I quit dealing directly with the idiots up in the Northeast and get my stuff from Florida Rigging and Hydraulic. Good folks.

As to the bow roller thing, if you need a good, solid bow roller, PM me and I'll give you the name of a friend who is a fabricator who'll build whatever you want. He uses nothing but the best quality materials, and it'll be polished up like chrome when he's finished.

Last edited by Gary1; 09-05-2008 at 06:33 AM. Reason: additional comment.