Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-05-2008

funsailthekeys is on a distinguished road
Why does boat steer to hard starboard?

It is a 1997 Island Packett 40' cutter rigged sloop. The prop is the factory 17x14 three blade. We just hauled the boat out of the water and couldn't find anything noticeably wrong. When under power or sail the boat veers sharply to the right at any speed. Any Ideas anyone?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2008
WAFI

astraeus is on a distinguished road
The first things I would look at are rudder/keel alignment. I would also check center position on the tiller/wheel versus rudder. It may be an illusion if they are not true.

It also could be a fairing job gone awry.

Good luck

"I used to be wise for my age, but then I got older."
Old 09-05-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
If the boat WAS sailing normally, and you didn't hit anything, then I'd doublecheck the rudder. Have someone visibly center it, then see if the wheel is centered. Sometimes it is that simple, something in the steering linkages has jumped and needs to be recentered.

Otherwise...you need to eyeball the underbody, make sure the keel wasn't shifted during a grounding or previous repair, check the rudder for delamination, swelling, or possibly being bent. When you get an eyeball at the right angle to it, you'll see something isn't symmetric below the waterline.
Old 09-05-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Oh Joy is an older full keel boat and she pulls to starboard under power as well. It takes about 5-8 Lbs of pressure to keep her straight. A certain amount of prop walk is normal.
Old 09-05-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Oh Joy is an older full keel boat and she pulls to starboard under power as well. It takes about 5-8 Lbs of pressure to keep her straight. A certain amount of prop walk is normal.
Quote:
When under power or sail the boat veers sharply to the right at any speed. Any Ideas anyone?
But Charlie, the original posted said under power or sail, hence the puzzle.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 09-05-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Hell, I missed that. That sounds like rudder alignment for sure but then again, letting the wheel have slack would allow the rudder to center. It sounds like a kedge or keel issue to me.
Old 09-06-2008

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Sooo

You were just sailing along and all of a sudden the boat verred and now it does it all the time?

You just bought the boat and took it our for the first time and discovered the problem??

More info please.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by funsailthekeys View Post
It is a 1997 Island Packett 40' cutter rigged sloop. The prop is the factory 17x14 three blade. We just hauled the boat out of the water and couldn't find anything noticeably wrong. When under power or sail the boat veers sharply to the right at any speed. Any Ideas anyone?
Old 09-06-2008

funsailthekeys is on a distinguished road
It seems that the problem has been there for quite a while. I found the same problem on the same model and year on the Island Packet owners web site. I talked with the owner and it takes 15 to 20 lbs of pressure to hold the wheel centered. At this point I believe that the hydraulic autopilot is suspect. As the boat just got back Friday I'll wait till after hurricane Ike passes and disconnect the tiller arm from the autopilot and sea trial it and see what happens. The Ideas so far are very helpful. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Autopilot?! That's not fair, you never mentioned there were mutinous crew aboard.[g]
Old 09-06-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Are there Zincs on the rudder? Are all on one side of the Rudder?
Check the fairing of the hull, the Keel and the rudder. Especially the keel. Any curvature in the keel or mis-alignment will throw the boat in one direction. And if it is a skeg hung rudder, check the alignment of the skeg also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture