SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Mixing elbow joint

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  trantor12020 
#1 ·
My Yanmar 2GM20F exhaust to mixing elbow joint had just corroded and broke a hole. I bought a new one to replace but was thinking why don't they make it out of high-temp plastic or something that won't corrode. Can I replace it was some plastic type instead ? This joint has a hex in centre and threaded on either side (male NPT union). Diameter about 48mmOD and 41mmID.

#2 ·
My exhaust on a 48hp 4 cyl Yanmar has an elbow that is made of 6mm wall thickness GRP tubing in two pieces, moulded together with glass fibre matting/polyester resin on the bend to about the same thickness.

It turns the exhaust output through about 135 degrees so not and easy flow-past situation. Seems to do a great job and no maintenance (so far :) ).

The tube size is about 4 inches. Maybe the smaller bore of your pipe causes more concentrated heat but in reality your exhaust temperatures and mine shouldn't be that far apart.

Andre

#3 · (Edited)
I tried to do a temporary patch on the corroded joint yesterday. It didn't help, infact I get some seawater splashing out through the break. Upon dismantling the assembly I saw the mixing elbow has lots of broken rusted pieces. Looks like I have to replacement the whole assembly. I doubt I can clean the elbows thread enough to put in the joint and also the mixing elbow might have be busted as well. Ironically, some 3 weeks back, I read on this forum, someone mentioned the mxing elbow has about 5 years life and I told myself, glad mine is still good....sharks! Now I gonna to put in a planned yearly maintenance on exhaust and mixing elbows and I'm telling my sailing buddies who has similiar engine to mine.

#4 ·
Looks like you jinxed yourself. :)
I tried to do a temporary patch on the corroded joint yesterday. It didn't help, infact I get some seawater splashing out through the break. Upon dismantling the assembly I saw the mixing elbow has lots of broken rusted pieces. Looks like I have to replacement the whole assembly. I doubt I can clean the elbows thread enough to put in the joint and also the mixing elbow might have be busted as well. Ironically, some 3 weeks back, I read on this forum, someone mentioned the mxing elbow has about 5 years life and I told myself, glad mine is still good....sharks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.