Trying to get an older Universal diesel running...experience appreciated! - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-06-2008

countrybumpkin is on a distinguished road
Trying to get an older Universal diesel running...experience appreciated!

I bougt a Cal 2-27 that has a 11-12hp? Universal diesel. It looks to be in great shape. The PO had is running 2 years ago right after he bought it. He said the mechanic had it on a travel lift and fired it up with a garden hose for cooling. He got it running but then i bogged down and choked. They hypothesized that old cruddy fuel clogged the injectors. The PO didn't want to wait for a fix so he bought a 5hp Merc and a motor mount in the meantime. I want to go back to using the inboard diesel. I am very mechanically inclined and want to do the work myself, but never did any work on a deisel. Does anyone have any advice on where to start? I don't want to pull the engine if I don't have to mess with the exhaust, cooling system, transmission, and linkages.

This isn't my engine, but it is of the same breed:11hp sailboat engine, Universal diesel 5411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond-o View Post
Ayuh,...

While I have No Idea what your motor Is,...
I wrench on Diesels,.... Daily.....

Just like any other motor that you thnk might possibly be starving for Fuel,..

Start with the Fuel Filter,... Is fuel present,..?? Is it Dirty,..?? Change the filter anyways,...

Is fuel moving from the tank to the injection pump by the primary fuel pump,..??
Crack the fuel line where it enters the Injection Pump,... You should have leaking fuel while turnng the motor over...

If So,...
Crack the 1st injector line at the 1st injector,... You should get a Spray of fuel...
Move on to each injector line at each injector...
The motor should be Running, maybe Rough, but running before you get to far...

Oil Changes,+ Compression tests aside,......

Good Luck,....
Oh,.. Btw,.. A picture of the Motor instead of a Similar boat would be Nice,.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond-o View Post
Good Luck,....
Oh,.. Btw,.. A picture of the Motor instead of a Similar boat would be Nice,.......
Went out and took a good look today. When I bought this boat six months ago I never thought the diesel would ever run again. I was content with the 5hp Merc pushing her in and out of the marina. But man, leaning over the transom to control the motor sucks. I sail on a landlocked lake in moderate conditions so I was okay with the OB, this was a similar setup I used on prior sailboats. I remembered the PO said he had the diesel running, and that he also spent over 900 bucks on a new prop shaft. He got frustrated when he couldn't get a mechanic to get the motor in shape so he shortcut with the OB.

Okay this is what I found today:

This is the boat in question:

1979 Cal 2-27, located on J Percy Preist Lake, Nashille, TN:

Front view of the engine:

trying to get the model number:

Instrument cluster, turning the key does get the gauges to jump, the light goes on, but when I turn the key to engage the starter is just draws more on the battery, also the same when I swith on the glow plug, the blower does not work at this time:

New prop shaft:

I haven't identified the model yet, but this may be it:

Universal M-15 Images and Specifications - Universal Diesel Engine Owners Manual - Marine Diesel Direct / Torresen Sailing Site

The other things I learned today:

There is no fuel tank. It has been removed.
I put a wrench on the lower pulley in the first engine picture and I can move it easily.
There was some major crap in the breather when I took it off.

Any advice on the model would be great!

Any advice on how to proceed would be great!

I'm thinking I need to:

Get the blower working.
Get the starter turning the engine.
Get the fuel system complete.
THEN: start Bondo's diagnostics he gave me a couple of days ago.

Thanks all!

Last edited by countrybumpkin; 09-06-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-06-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Yep sounds like you have several issues..

Go buy your self one of these..

about 10 to 20 bucks and it will add a year to your life in saved movements back and forth and also enable you to do what sometimes requires two people.

For now this will also bypass possible problems with your ignition switch just from it sitting so long.
Now hook it up to your starter solenoid and you will be able to engage your starter in the engine compartment.
Does it role over now? If not.. check all batteries and battrie cable connections first ( are your bats good and charged? ) if thats not it then the starter or solenoid needs rebuilt/replaced.

If it rolls over ( Nice and quickly not sluggishly ) you are ready for the above posted procedures..you can get your self a 1 gal plastic fuel jug just for the fire off ( stick the fuel intake line of mechanical lift pump into it, it should not have to be gravity fed ) but obviously you will want to re-install some sort of permanent fuel tank arrangement..

Be sure no critter's have made a nest in the intake befor rolling her over you dont want to suck up a bunch of pine needles or insulation in your motor ( older boat diesels genrally do not have air filters )
Attached Thumbnails
Trying to get an older Universal diesel running...experience appreciated!-remote-starter-switch.jpg  

Last edited by Stillraining; 09-06-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One thing... DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE FUEL RETURN LINE in the jug too... or you're going to have a mess in the bilge...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-06-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
One thing... DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE FUEL RETURN LINE in the jug too... or you're going to have a mess in the bilge...
Thanks Dog..Minor detail I omitted..

This is why Im not a teacher or a Preacher.

Last edited by Stillraining; 09-07-2008 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-06-2008
San Juan 26

LittleMissMagic is on a distinguished road
I just can't help but wonder why someone would buy an outboard instead of fixing the diesel. IMHO I hate outboards!
Old 09-07-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
If you are going to crank the engine while trying to figure out why it will not start be sure to shut off the raw water intake and drain the muffler.
If you crank it for more than about 15 sec without it starting you start to risk sucking water into the cylinders which can ruin your engine.

When it starts make sure you open the raw water valve. You have about 30 seconds before the engine overheats.
Don't know if you are a book guy but Marine Diesel Engines by Calder is pretty good.

I'm about 30 days ahead of you and diesel's seem pretty tough but there are things you can do to really toast one up. Probably should read up.

Last edited by davidpm; 09-07-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old 09-07-2008

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
30 seconds ???

Sorry I do not believe any engine will overheat in 30 seconds after starting, 5- 10 minutes is plausible.
Old 09-07-2008

sander06 is on a distinguished road
Just as an FYI, while the engine won't overheat within 30 seconds without the cooling water flow, the rubber impeller blades on the cooling water intake pump might take a beating, although I'm not at all sure how long the intake pump can go without melting down.

The one thing you have going for you are that diesel engines are extremely simple requiring only clean air and fuel with a little lubrication and they'll run!

Good luck with your project and feel free to use profanity while working on the engine. Diesels run much better being yelled at. I think they like the attention!!

Steve
Old 09-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Yep sounds like you have several issues..

Go buy your self one of these..

about 10 to 20 bucks and it will add a year to your life in saved movements back and forth and also enable you to do what sometimes requires two people.

For now this will also bypass possible problems with your ignition switch just from it sitting so long.
Now hook it up to your starter solenoid and you will be able to engage your starter in the engine compartment.
Does it role over now? If not.. check all batteries and battrie cable connections first ( are your bats good and charged? ) if thats not it then the starter or solenoid needs rebuilt/replaced.

If it rolls over ( Nice and quickly not sluggishly ) you are ready for the above posted procedures..you can get your self a 1 gal plastic fuel jug just for the fire off ( stick the fuel intake line of mechanical lift pump into it, it should not have to be gravity fed ) but obviously you will want to re-install some sort of permanent fuel tank arrangement..

Be sure no critter's have made a nest in the intake befor rolling her over you dont want to suck up a bunch of pine needles or insulation in your motor ( older boat diesels genrally do not have air filters )

Thanks. Great simple advice. I probably would have used a screwdriver to jump the solenoid!

I think the platform for the fuel tank is above and behind the engine, so it will be able to gravity feed if need be.

Look forward to tackling this project this fall.

CB
Old 09-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Don't know if you are a book guy but Marine Diesel Engines by Calder is pretty good.

I'm about 30 days ahead of you and diesel's seem pretty tough but there are things you can do to really toast one up. Probably should read up.
Thanks for the book tip. Just found and ordered it on Half.com for about 20 bucks.

Let me know what you run into as you get your motor back in shape.

This forum is great.............

CB

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.