Battery Setup: Blue Sea ACR? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 Old 09-09-2008 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,708
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 11
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
You really have a 35A alternator?? Not 55A?
Yes, I really do have a 35A alternator, assuming it's the original/stock Motorola alternator with which Atomic-4s were fitted. I have no reason to believe otherwise, and it looks like the original I've seen in pictures.

Jim
SEMIJim is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 26 Old 09-09-2008
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,889
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 12
   
Jim,

The TrueCharge 10TB charger can handle one battery bank just fine. Connect one red wire and one black wire to the desired battery bank (e.g., to the house bank).

The EchoCharge will work independently of the TrueCharge 10TB charger. Connect it to the start battery and the house battery bank per instructions which accompany the device.

Bill
btrayfors is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #23 of 26 Old 09-09-2008
Senior Member
 
denverd0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,219
Thanks: 0
Thanked 37 Times in 37 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors
The TrueCharge 10TB charger can handle one battery bank just fine.
Just so that I'm completely clear, when you use an EchoCharge type device you have no need, nor use, for a charger that can charge two banks independently. You only want to charge one bank anyway, and let the EchoCharge handle the other one.

One thing that is obvious from all of these "how do I charge my batteries" threads is that there is a LOT of confusion out there! Is there a book that explains it all in a clear and concise manner for the layman? Perhaps Nigel Calder's book? (Which, I confess, is on my list but I haven't gotten around to reading yet.)
denverd0n is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
 
post #24 of 26 Old 09-09-2008 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,708
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 11
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Jim,

The TrueCharge 10TB charger can handle one battery bank just fine. Connect one red wire and one black wire to the desired battery bank (e.g., to the house bank).
Yes. Alternatively: I can leave the 10TB hooked up just the way it is, and hook the Echo-Charge up. Xantrex says they will not interfere with one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
The EchoCharge will work independently of the TrueCharge 10TB charger. Connect it to the start battery and the house battery bank per instructions which accompany the device.
Yes, of course.

Since the 10TB only has 10A max output, its behaviour using one channel run through the Echo-Charge would probably be the same as when using the two "channels," which aren't really very independent at all, it seems.

Jim
SEMIJim is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #25 of 26 Old 09-09-2008
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,889
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 12
   
No matter what Xantrex says, if you're gonna use an EchoCharge, I'd disconnect the second "channel" (i.e., the 2nd red wire from the charger).

It's not a question of how much amperage; it's a question of flow control (or "interaction" as you correctly surmised at the beginning).

The EchoCharge is built exactly for what you wanna do. The charger's 2nd channel likely isn't as "smart". Leaving it connected could fool the EchoCharge into thinking the battery is at a higher level of charge than it really is.

Without getting to a real design engineer familiar with that particular charger (and where do you find one at Xantrex these days?), I'd opt for the "clean" solution rather than trust to what someone told you over the phone.

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 09-09-2008 at 04:26 PM.
btrayfors is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #26 of 26 Old 09-10-2008 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,708
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 11
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
No matter what Xantrex says, if you're gonna use an EchoCharge, I'd disconnect the second "channel" (i.e., the 2nd red wire from the charger).
That's probably what I'll do in any event, because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
It's not a question of how much amperage; it's a question of flow control (or "interaction" as you correctly surmised at the beginning).
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
The EchoCharge is built exactly for what you wanna do. The charger's 2nd channel likely isn't as "smart". Leaving it connected could fool the EchoCharge into thinking the battery is at a higher level of charge than it really is.
It all depends on how the 10TB and Echo-Charge's outputs and sensing are designed. They might mess with one another and they might not. But, since the 10TB's two "channels" aren't really all that independent of one another, anyway, it makes more sense to remove all doubt and let the starter and house banks be handled the same at the dock as off the alternator: Main charge to the house bank, echo to the starting battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Without getting to a real design engineer familiar with that particular charger (and where do you find one at Xantrex these days?), I'd opt for the "clean" solution rather than trust to what someone told you over the phone.
Agreed.

Jim
SEMIJim is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blue Sea Systems JT1019 Gear & Maintenance 0 09-08-2006 11:39 AM
When Tragedies Happen at Sea SailNet Cruising Articles 0 05-28-2002 08:00 PM
Sea Snakes Ralph Doolin Seamanship Articles 0 01-21-2002 07:00 PM
Sea Snakes Ralph Doolin Cruising Articles 0 01-21-2002 07:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome