SelkirkGrace is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Demise of Maptech

I had not seen this posted anywhere, but found it on the Maptech website:
Ed Lecuyer
Original Message
(Posted Sep 4, 2008 8:47 AM)
thread closed

Hello.

On August 29, 2008, Maptech, inc., makers of navigation products for marine, land, and aerial use officially shut its doors after nearly 20 years of business. This has been a very hard and stressful time for its 75+ employees. We worked together as a family for many years and we were all saddened to see it close.

Fortunately, nearly all of Maptech's products (and many of its employees) have found new homes. While I may not be able to respond to your specific email request, please allow me to direct you to the folks that may be able to assist you.

Maptech's Land Navigation division, including products such as Terrain Navigator and Terrain Navigator Pro, as well as the popular online Mapserver, has been purchased by mytopo.com. We have also reached agreement to continue to host the historical USGS map collection. For technical support for these products, please email us at 'support@mytopo.com' or call 406-294-9994. Sales inquiries may be directed to 800-627-7236. Web site: Customized Topo Maps, Aerial Photos, and Hybrids | MyTopo.com

Maptech's Paper ChartKit division, including the ChartKits, Waterproof Chartbooks, Embassy Cruising Guides, and Companion CDs (featuring Offshore Navigator Lite and included with most ChartKits and Chartbooks) are now serviced by Richardsons' Charts. They can be reached at 800-873-4057 or 508-990-9020. Web site: Welcome to Richardsons' Charts and Guidebooks

The CAPN, the popular professional navigation software, is now offered by Star Technologies. They can be reached at 703-759-2933. Web site: Welcome to The Capn

Maptech's digital marine offerings, including Offshore Navigator, Chart Navigator, and Chart Navigator Pro are serviced by KPM Marine. Reach them at 978-834-9953 for technical assistance or 978-834-9950 for sales inquires. KPM Marine also maintains a limited inventory of parts and cables for Maptech's Sea Ray Navigator and i3 Touch Screen Navigation Systems.

Finally, Pocket Navigator has been discontinued. However, you may be able to get limited service and upgrades through its original manufacturer: Memory-Map. They can be reached at 607-216-9195. Web site: Memory-Map: GPS Mapping Software for PC and Pocket PC

Thank you for your interest in Maptech's products. I wish you well in your endeavors.

-Ed Lecuyer
Former Maptech Employee
Now part of the team at MyTopo.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Had not seen that, thanks.
Old 09-08-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That explains a lot. Damn... I always like the Maptech charts over the Richardsons..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-08-2008
Boater

pfbanyas is on a distinguished road
Although big news I am not sure it as big as it sounds. From all I have heard there is not necessarily an intent to "close the doors" on the products, just where the moneey comes from, so to speak. I think their products will be around for a long time. Albeit they may be a different home company but the products will still be out there. That might be the reason it hasn't been so publicized so much. I believe Richardson's has had the paper stuff since February 2008. It does bear watching though even if just to be in the know especially since I always carry a set of their chartkits next to the chartplotter. Thanks
Pat
Marguerite
Old 09-08-2008

elecuyer is on a distinguished road
Hi all.

Please note that the above message was posted as a former Maptech employee to aid customers searching for assistance with those products. Please do not take that message as an official announcement from 'MyTopo' or any of the other companies mentioned in that message.

It should also be noted that at the request of at least one of those companies, the original posting from the Maptech.com discussion forum has been removed. This is so that they can conduct their own public relations efforts.

There is lot of misinformation floating around regarding this transaction (including at least one factual error in this thread alone.) While I will be happy to answer questions regarding the Terrain Navigator/MyTopo transition, I suspect that subject will be of limited interest to the readers of this forum. I'll leave it to representatives from the other companies to comment, should they so wish.

That having been said, I honestly believe that the owners/management of Maptech have done a fine job finding homes for each of the various product lines. I suspect that each product (ChartKits, Digital Charts, The CAPN, etc.) will do well individually as they can receive the necessary, dedicated, focused attention that each require. The transition period may be a bit messy, but it will be sorted out soon enough.

-Ed Lecuyer
Maptech alumni: 1997-2008
Old 09-08-2008
Multihull Fanatic

Chart Master Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfbanyas View Post
Although big news I am not sure it as big as it sounds. From all I have heard there is not necessarily an intent to "close the doors" on the products, just where the moneey comes from, so to speak. I think their products will be around for a long time. Albeit they may be a different home company but the products will still be out there. That might be the reason it hasn't been so publicized so much. I believe Richardson's has had the paper stuff since February 2008. It does bear watching though even if just to be in the know especially since I always carry a set of their chartkits next to the chartplotter. Thanks
Pat
Marguerite
I agree with you Pat, with one exception. I don't know who they are referring to for Ocean Navigator/Chart Master Pro. This is my favorite software package and is light years ahead of Raymarine's RNC 6.X. It is the only package I know of that works in VISTA now and has vector, raster and photo/satellite. The only thing it needed was ethernet support or in Raymarine lingo HSB2 (same thing). So if anyone knows who these guys are, I would like to hear about it.
Chip
Old 09-08-2008
Multihull Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elecuyer View Post
Hi all.

Please note that the above message was posted as a former Maptech employee to aid customers searching for assistance with those products. Please do not take that message as an official announcement from 'MyTopo' or any of the other companies mentioned in that message.

It should also be noted that at the request of at least one of those companies, the original posting from the Maptech.com discussion forum has been removed. This is so that they can conduct their own public relations efforts.

There is lot of misinformation floating around regarding this transaction (including at least one factual error in this thread alone.) While I will be happy to answer questions regarding the Terrain Navigator/MyTopo transition, I suspect that subject will be of limited interest to the readers of this forum. I'll leave it to representatives from the other companies to comment, should they so wish.

That having been said, I honestly believe that the owners/management of Maptech have done a fine job finding homes for each of the various product lines. I suspect that each product (ChartKits, Digital Charts, The CAPN, etc.) will do well individually as they can receive the necessary, dedicated, focused attention that each require. The transition period may be a bit messy, but it will be sorted out soon enough.

-Ed Lecuyer
Maptech alumni: 1997-2008
Hi Ed,
I think the post was an excellent one. Of greatest concern to me is Chart Navigator Pro. It, unlike CAPN is VISTA compatible. Can you shed any further light on who owns it now (a URL would be nice) pending their announcement if any? Good luck with My Topo!
Thanks,
Chip
Old 09-08-2008

elecuyer is on a distinguished road
From the orginal post:

Quote:
Maptech's digital marine offerings, including [...] Chart Navigator Pro are serviced by KPM Marine. Reach them at 978-834-9953 for technical assistance or 978-834-9950 for sales inquires.
I do not believe that they have a web site or an email address at this time.

Also, for the record, The CAPN does run under Windows Vista, surprisingly well. It does not take advantage of some of Vista's conventions, however.
Old 09-08-2008
Multihull Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elecuyer View Post
From the orginal post:

I do not believe that they have a web site or an email address at this time.

Also, for the record, The CAPN does run under Windows Vista, surprisingly well. It does not take advantage of some of Vista's conventions, however.
Very cool. Too bad Maptech did not sell the package to Raymarine. RNS 6.X could sure use help.
Thanks,
Chip
Old 09-08-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
I'm also sad to see Maptech go. As an FYI, Chart Navigator Pro is a repackaged Rosepoint Navigation Coastal Explorer with some of Maptech's 3D maps and photos bundled into it. The software itself is the exact same, and Rosepoint will be releasing 2.0 shortly (hopefully). As an owner of the several hundred dollar Chart Nav Pro, I guess I'll see myself buying the Rosepoint software now.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me