Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-08-2008
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
In Water Winter Storage

We live in Boston and are considering in water winter storage. There is a marina that is walking distance from where we live that offers in water storage.

What advantages does a boat have being on jack-stands on the hard over being in the water? What other disadvantages or damage can be cause by leaving the boat in water for the winter?

We have a Fairclough cover that I think can be used in water. It goes down to the waterline.
Old 09-08-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the boat is on the hard, you don't run the risk of the ice freezing against the hull. It is probably less risky to keep the boat on the hard, since it won't sink.

I wouldn't use the Fairclough cover if it goes down to the waterline, since it could become a problem if it gets wet and freezes to the hull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
We live in Boston and are considering in water winter storage. There is a marina that is walking distance from where we live that offers in water storage.

What advantages does a boat have being on jack-stands on the hard over being in the water? What other disadvantages or damage can be cause by leaving the boat in water for the winter?

We have a Fairclough cover that I think can be used in water. It goes down to the waterline.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2008

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
There are a few marinas in Boston where winter in-water storage is common and there are lots of live-aboards there as well, particularly at Constitution. Freezing isn't a problem there and they have fans to ensure the water circulates just in case... Having survived winter both in-water and on the hard, there frankly are no definitive advantages/disadvantages - it's more a matter of personal choice.
Some of the common arguments are:
in-water is better for the hull and rigging - less stress
on the hard is better for the hull - to dry
in-water allows easier access
on the hard is "safer" ( no one who uses this ever saw a marina fire)
in-water precludes vandalism
on the hard is more secure
in-water mat lead to sinking if a thru-hull freezes and fails
on the hard might fall over
etc...
In other words, there is no definitive best or even preferable choice.

My personal favorite argument either way is - it's difficult to go sailing on a nice winter day when the boat is in a parking lot.
Old 09-08-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A lot of insurance policies require winter lay-up periods, and sailing during the layup period is a really bad idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
There are a few marinas in Boston where winter in-water storage is common and there are lots of live-aboards there as well, particularly at Constitution. Freezing isn't a problem there and they have fans to ensure the water circulates just in case... Having survived winter both in-water and on the hard, there frankly are no definitive advantages/disadvantages - it's more a matter of personal choice.
Some of the common arguments are:
in-water is better for the hull and rigging - less stress
on the hard is better for the hull - to dry
in-water allows easier access
on the hard is "safer" ( no one who uses this ever saw a marina fire)
in-water precludes vandalism
on the hard is more secure
in-water mat lead to sinking if a thru-hull freezes and fails
on the hard might fall over
etc...
In other words, there is no definitive best or even preferable choice.

My personal favorite argument either way is - it's difficult to go sailing on a nice winter day when the boat is in a parking lot.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-08-2008

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
However your insurance company will gladly take some of your money to remove the lay up period.
Old 09-08-2008

timangiel is on a distinguished road
Just out of curiousity...

Is it any less or anymore expensive to store in the water verses on the hard?
Old 09-08-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
at my yard it's less expensive to store in the water. about $6/ft cheaper.
Old 09-08-2008

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road
You might want to read my post in the "special Interest Group " Long Island section. I don't know if there is a way to send a link to another posting or not, I am new at this posting thing. Rick
Old 09-08-2008

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
It has been my experience that most underwriters will modify their coverage to include in-water storage during winter AT NO CHARGE (read - for free!) as long as you ensure them the marina has either bubblers or fans. The only concern they have other than the above is that the boat be properly winterized and every endorsement I've ever seen stipulates that regardless of whether the boat is on the hard or in the water.

Saildog said "sailing during the layup period is a really bad idea".

Not sure who told you that but we often see quite a few boaters out in Narragansett Bay on nice days all winter. It's a simple matter to re-winterize the engine (presuming you've already done it to the other systems) and lots of us consider it well worth the half hour or less it takes to hank on a sail and re-winterize afterwards. About the only reasonable argument for it being a "really bad idea" would be if the policy specifically excluded coverage during winter layup but I suspect that too could be easily changed upon request.
Old 09-08-2008

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road
I use wet storage when ever I can... love it, I get to spend more time on my boat and do sail on nice days, I have flushing the desiel with anti freeze down to a science. I find that if you are the kind that likes to go down to your baot as much as possible and are close enough to it to do that, wet storage is great, if you are the kind that wants to lay up and forget about it for the winter and persue other winter activities instead , then maybe not.