SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

12v power outlet in cockpit

7K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  sander06 
#1 ·
I'm considering placing a 12v power outlet in the cockpit of my 42' IP. I have a corded, 12v high-power spotlight and no where to plug in but the receptacle at the nav station. I've looked at the cigarette-style outlets at Defender, but really don't like the 'press-on' waterproof caps. These just look like they wouldn't last very long or be very waterproof.

I would much prefer a screw-on cap with an o-ring to seal it when not in use, something like the 30a receptacles.

Part of me wonders if I should even bother with it and just go get a battery powered spotlight. My questions are:

1) Should I even bother with this? - much easier to just buy a battery operated spotlight.

2) Is there a better receptacle?

3) Should I look at a different solution instead of a cigarrette-lighter type plug?

Thanks in advance!
Doug

See less See more
#2 ·
I just picked up one of those 8 trillion (or something) candlepower lights that's battery powered. I think its a little bit better if only for the fact that you're not tied down by a cord. You can bring it anywhere in case of emergency and whatnot.

#3 ·
Opinion/experience - we have a 12v cockpit powerpoint with a screw on metal cap, a seal ring and two contact points in the fixture. We have a corded light. We are forever having problems with the light and after multiple bulbs and tests of the powerpoint and frustration from lack of lighting on too many occasions, we bought a mega candlepower chargeable light from Defender and are happy that it works when we need it and is completely portable for use on deck, in cockpit and with dinghy.

#4 ·
My problem with battery spotlights is that I always forget to charge them, or they sit for a couple months before use and discharge only to be totally dead when needed. Cigarette lighter plugs are bad, they are unreliable and a fire hazard.. don't use them on boats. I use an aquasignal waterproof deck connector qith great success. Some of the trolling motor plugs look useful too.

#5 ·
I use the rechargeable but a friend has put a plug for his just inside the companionway where it is somewhat protected from weather. He did it 'cause he is still using the same spotlight that came with a boat he had 30 years ago, it's been a "good luck" charm on every boat since.

#6 ·
While I agree they are really not a proper Marine Grade connector I have been a fan of them for years. I've had them outside on my last 3 boats and have powered GPS's for days and hand help VHF's with them in the past. And of course my million candle power 10 year old spotlight still plugs in and works fine when needed even though its hardly ever :rolleyes:

#7 ·
We had a recessed well down low in the wall of the cockpit (behind crews' legs) where the manual diesel fuel cutoff cable used to terminate. I re-used that space for a 12v receptacle, put in a Sea-Dog receptacle with the rubber cap and put it on the top, so the opening faces down. In addition to lights, it comes in handy for the charging cable for the handheld GPS, our daughter's iPod, the 12v shop vac and other devices. Its position seems to make it less susceptible to moisture and has worked out for 2 years so far.

I considered replacing it with a non-standard jack, but that would entail replacing the plugs on multiple devices and using an adapter for others that may make their way on board.

The cigarette lighter connector is particularly problematic. I threw out a $100 12v coffee maker last weekend after melting the plug. It was the last straw in a long list of attempts to make that bugger work, including dedicated 25A circuit, special high current receptacle, high current plug, heavier wire to the unit. It was a poorly engineered product for which I kept attempting to compensate. But the cigarette lighter contacts were just not really up to the job. If we could move to another standard and start to get products with plugs compatible with that new standard, count me in. But until then, we get to live with what's available. Or maybe I'm just being lazy by not setting my own styandard and replacing every plug that comes with every device I bring on board?

#8 ·
Hard Wired Cord

While I certainly understand the issue at hand it is certainly nice to be able to use the light when needed. I had a friend onboard a few weeks ago who enjoyed playing with the light until such the battery pooped just as I needed it to enter the harbor. I think what I might do here is install an additional hard wired charging cord in one of the cockpit lazarette with an additional light as a back up.

#9 ·
I wish I knew what I have is called, as it came with the boat. I have a round box with 2 12v plugs built into it. There is a handle where I can turn it to let out wire and move it anywhere about the boat within 20 feet of the panel it is wired into. That same handle will also roll the wire back up into the bright yellow round box. It seems very handy.

#10 ·
What I'd recommend is a 12 VDC electric trolling motor power cord connection. It looks like a mini-shore power cable and twist locks into position. Marinco makes them.

#12 ·
We have a 12v power outlet on the pedestal. It has a cap and we have never had a problem with it. I use it for the hand held when the hand held has lost its charge.

#17 ·
Look at ratings

These are probably OK for lights, but the challenge I was facing was current capacity. I was looking for a reliable connector for high amperage 12v appliances, e.g. coffee makers, blenders, inverters. Most home coffee makers are 1100w and up. The POS coffee maker I bought was 300w. (It took over 40 minutes to make a 12 cup pot of coffee. A real PITA!) A 300w 12v appliance draws 25A. (v * A = w) You end up in the realm of trolling motor connectors to handle that kind of current. I had to call SeaDog to get the rating for their plug/receptacle connector that I used. They claimed I would be OK, but it melted. In addition to a better standard connector, we could use an standards org like UA to assure us of the ratings we are given.

#18 ·
I was looking for a reliable connector for high amperage 12v appliances, e.g. coffee makers, blenders, inverters.
You are a power junky! Seems like with those type of devices you should just use terminal blocks and hard wire everything. Maybe connectors like used for some HAM radio gear would work. Powerex stuff is pretty good. You can get all the way up to 10 gauge wire!

#19 ·
Problem with the portable spotlight, I always forget to charge it. 30 days and it's dead when I need it! I think I'll scrap it and get one of those plugs from Marinco - looks like the best deal! BTW - I threw out the 12v coffee pot years ago - Now use my propane stove and teakettle, a Melita filter in a funnel, filter the Folger's directly into a 2 quart thermos. Two quarts of fine coffee in ten minutes! Twice a day and it makes me happy! (Go ahead, say it - some of these old guys drink a hell of a lot of coffee!)

#20 ·
Now use my propane stove and teakettle, a Melita filter in a funnel, filter the Folger's directly into a 2 quart thermos. Two quarts of fine coffee in ten minutes! Twice a day and it makes me happy! (Go ahead, say it - some of these old guys drink a hell of a lot of coffee!)
I was doing the same thing. I happen to like rich coffee with lots of flavor. I bought a cheap french press. Much better coffee.

#22 ·
Seconded

I second Cam's suggestion for the power plugs, I have two of those in my cockpit and have not had a problem with them.

Also second FreeSail's french press recommendation, those things make some damn fine coffee complete with the brown foamy crema like you get on top of an espresso.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.