Volvo Penta Parts Availablility (or lack there of) in Canada - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-10-2008

firehoser75 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Volvo Penta Parts Availablility (or lack there of) in Canada

I recently had a mechanical failure while up in Desolation Sound. Luckily, the failure did not occur in a pass (such as Beasley Pass or Hole in the Wall, that gets up to 12 Knots of current). We were towed into Campbell River for repairs (no wind that day). The authorized Volvo representative in Campbell River informed me that he will not work on sailboats!! Isn't that great news. When we tried for 2 different replacement parts, one being the freshwater cooling pump, and the other being the freshwater pump drive pulley housing, we were told that neither part was available in Canada and would have to be air freighted to us at an additional cost of $100 per part. The really bad news was that this would still take 5 days for the air feighted part to arrive. By the way, the only other time I required a part other than replacement filters and belts, it (glow plugs) was not available locally either. The engine is an MD2030. By the way, Volvo Canada is located about 15 miles from where I live in the Vancouver area. This is horrible customer service in my humble opinion, but at least it is 100% (that is with no parts in stock).
The outcome was however good despite Volvo. I dealt with a great mechanic from Carmac Diesel in Campbell River , and they were able to machine a new pump pulley housing from steel, and they did this all within one day (using the failed part as a template)!! We were lucky that the problem was only that the pulley housing basically disintegrated and it was not a problem with the pump itself. The pulley housing is only made from cast aluminum.
Just thought everyone on the list here should know about the lousy service from Volvo Canada.
By the way, I e-mailed them with my concerns a couple of days ago and have not had a response.

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2013

colinflteng is on a distinguished road
Re: Volvo Penta Parts Availablility (or lack there of) in Canada

Do you still have 2003T engine do you do use water heater with your engine?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook