Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-10-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Thirty-amp connectors are a perennial problem in marinas. I've seen many failures and meltdowns over the past couple of decades. Many of these could be traced to "user failure", i.e., overtaxing the connectors by overloading them, not cleaning them, not keeping them dry, etc., etc.

The sad truth, however, is that we're now seeing FAR TOO MANY failures of 30A Marinco connectors to believe that its always "user failure".

First, the design stinks: these things cannot handle anywhere near 30A continuous power, without heating and burning.

Yes, do everything possible to keep contacts clean and dry, and try to limit power draw to not more than 25A or so. That will help.

But, bottom line, IMHO these connectors are real crap. Be very wary of them....i.e., ALL 30A connectors....but, especially, those recently coming out of Marinco. These seem to be substandard in construction.

Is this really the best we can do?

Bill
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2008

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
Are you getting a full 120 volts? If the marina is providing less, that could cause the problem too.

The cords may be crap - I have no way of knowing for sure. I'm just trying to mention thing that you have some control over.
Old 09-10-2008

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
CD, I have had the same problem. Has it been the same slot on the receptacle end in both your failures? I have a feeling that all the failures are on the same slot and that this is a result of not completely turning the plug before tightening the holding ring and because of the configuration of the blades full contact is not made. If this is the case it is neither corrosion nor poor workmsship that are the cause of the failure.
Old 09-10-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
Are you getting a full 120 volts? If the marina is providing less, that could cause the problem too.

The cords may be crap - I have no way of knowing for sure. I'm just trying to mention thing that you have some control over.
I had already thought of that too.

Yes, on a normal day, we are getting good power. The question is whether it stays good?? That, without putting it on a meter/printout, I cannot know. But the problems associated here are not solely out of my marina which leads me to believe that, unless highly coincidental, it is not the major problem.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-10-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
CD, I have had the same problem. Has it been the same slot on the receptacle end in both your failures? I have a feeling that all the failures are on the same slot and that this is a result of not completely turning the plug before tightening the holding ring and because of the configuration of the blades full contact is not made. If this is the case it is neither corrosion nor poor workmsship that are the cause of the failure.
I am not sure about that. I would have to check.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-10-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Thirty-amp connectors are a perennial problem in marinas. I've seen many failures and meltdowns over the past couple of decades. Many of these could be traced to "user failure", i.e., overtaxing the connectors by overloading them, not cleaning them, not keeping them dry, etc., etc.

The sad truth, however, is that we're now seeing FAR TOO MANY failures of 30A Marinco connectors to believe that its always "user failure".

First, the design stinks: these things cannot handle anywhere near 30A continuous power, without heating and burning.

Yes, do everything possible to keep contacts clean and dry, and try to limit power draw to not more than 25A or so. That will help.

But, bottom line, IMHO these connectors are real crap. Be very wary of them....i.e., ALL 30A connectors....but, especially, those recently coming out of Marinco. These seem to be substandard in construction.

Is this really the best we can do?

Bill
Hi Bill... how are you?

Thanks for the input. Yes, I think I agree with you. But you would think (using the 20% rule), they would over size their cords/connectors for continuous operation at 30 instead of 80% of 30A. I wonder if that is not the case?

- CD

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-10-2008
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
Cool I have seen it also

On most cases at our marina, the plastic ring that is supposed to hold the connectors tight is broken or was not used. The twist lock function of the plug itself will not hold the plug in.
Insurance companies are checking this when there is a claim.
That plastic ring breaks easily when dropped, and I don't think it can be replaced, so you have to buy a new shore power cable.
Hummmmmm! could this be on purpose?

Fair Winds

Cap'n Dave
Old 09-10-2008

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
I think you will find that it is always the same slot. It would therefore appear to be a design flaw in their female cap. I do not recall seeing this problem anywhere else, so it may be more of a problem with Marinco. I do know that by insuring to turn the female cap to the lock position and tightening the locking screw ring it doesn't heat up. Note that once heating starts the contacts produce their own resistance furthering the heat build up so periodic cleaning will help. My feeling is that there should be a positve feeling of locking the plug in postion and I certainly don't feel that. Next time I'm in Home Depot I'm going to check other manufacturers male and female cap connections.
Old 09-10-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I am dealing with different cordsets every day...maybe a few hundred each year and would say that the majority of cordsets have similar burning to what is shown. I would guess that 90% of the cordsets are marinco since it is what is generally available and sold at the major boating stores. I rarely see any burning on 50amp sets and I have always attributed it to the much more robust contact and locking mechanism. I think the 30a plug/receptacle design is flawed regardless of the manufacturer...but how do you change a "standard"??
Old 09-10-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It is pretty tough to change a standard without overwhelming proof that a newer standard would have significant benefits...
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I am dealing with different cordsets every day...maybe a few hundred each year and would say that the majority of cordsets have similar burning to what is shown. I would guess that 90% of the cordsets are marinco since it is what is generally available and sold at the major boating stores. I rarely see any burning on 50amp sets and I have always attributed it to the much more robust contact and locking mechanism. I think the 30a plug/receptacle design is flawed regardless of the manufacturer...but how do you change a "standard"??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.