SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Marinco Power Cables (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/46967-marinco-power-cables.html)

Cruisingdad 09-10-2008 05:23 PM

Marinco Power Cables

I would be interested in knowing how many of you have had corrosion/over-heating of your Marinco Power Cables?

Last year I had one of my power cables burn up. I thought it was a fluke. THen, on a completely different circut into the boat, the other did the same thing. I pulled and replaced both receptacles and cords.

A few months ago, my fathers burnt up at the plug.

Recently, I learned of another C400 with exactly the same problem... on both plugs.

Has anyone else had this problem with new or relatively new (last 5 years) power cords?

Thanks.

- CD

PS It is possible that this is just coincidence, but in none of the cases did it trip any breakers - whether dock, main (on boat), or at panel. That is the part that bothers me.

JT1019 09-10-2008 05:29 PM

Yes, almost everyone I know has had to replace power cords within the last year. The new stuff they are producing is just crap!

SVAuspicious 09-10-2008 05:32 PM

No problems with 50A (1) or 30A (2) cords, all less than 3 years old.

SteveInMD 09-10-2008 05:33 PM

Make sure you keep the prongs very clean. Resistance = heat.

Cruisingdad 09-10-2008 05:34 PM

It seems unlikely to me that they are producing their cords to the rated specs. The cords should be able to handle 30 amps continuous withou overheating or burning up. THat does not seem to be the case in any of these instances.

I am not sure the exact series of events that causes the failure. It is possible that corrosion is building up on the terminals inside the plug. That in turn causes more heat. THe heat in turn causes more corrosion until it is a vicious cycle.

That is my rough guess at this time. However, it is getting hot enough that the enire receptables is melting down and failing. THe failures do not, in any instance, stop at the plug. They over heat to the point of causing the plastic structure of the receptacle to literrally burn up such that when you pull out the plug you will quite literally pull out the entire prongs of the receptable (often a hot wire... you should note).

Has this been others experiences too?

- CD

PS In 15 years of boating, I have never had this problem on previous cords - including when we were liveaboards in FL on CRUDDY power.

Cruisingdad 09-10-2008 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveInMD (Post 366352)
Make sure you keep the prongs very clean. Resistance = heat.

Cleaning the contacts on the cord (as it is sealed) would seem close to impossbile. Also, all of the failures I have noted are in FRESH water... not salt - an important distinction. Also, in none of the instances has there been shown ANY corrosionon the receptacle. That in turn leads me to believe it is on the cord - if it is the cord that is the issue.

- CD

Cruisingdad 09-10-2008 05:39 PM

Here is a pic of one of the plugs.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...ot/plugpic.jpg

bob758 09-10-2008 05:58 PM

I had the same problem and returned 2 of them to West Marine. Their catalog showed a 5 yr. warranty. They replaced them after calling the home office to find out what the 5 yr. warranty covered.
You will have to also replace the receptacle insert so that the prongs are clean.

Cruisingdad 09-10-2008 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob758 (Post 366375)
I had the same problem and returned 2 of them to West Marine. Their catalog showed a 5 yr. warranty. They replaced them after calling the home office to find out what the 5 yr. warranty covered.
You will have to also replace the receptacle insert so that the prongs are clean.

Yes, we replaced the receptacle too. Thanks. I did not return for money back. THat is a mistake I will not make again (as they are quite expensive).

Thanks for the input.

- CD

SteveInMD 09-10-2008 06:13 PM

Besides keeping the contacts clean, make sure you take the time to screw down the black retainer ring all of the way. That will help assure the connection is good. You can test it by putting a good load on it for a while and then remove the plug - it shouldn't be hot. If it is, and the cord is clean, ask the marina to change the outlet.