Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-10-2008

Seafire327 is on a distinguished road
Question Possible Cabin Upgrade?

I've been doing a lot of cleaning of my boat in the past few weeks and I came up with an idea to improve my overall cabin esthetic... I have access to some very high quality mahogany veneer and my thought is to affix it to the salon ceiling. On this 38 year old boat, the ceiling is pretty grubby, and I've been wanting to warm up the interior anyway. I guess my question is; am I going to encounter a problem with condensation collecting between the hull & veneer? (lets assume I prep everything well). Anyone else have experience? I know a lot of the bigger yachts have tounge and groove healiners, so perhaps I could get some info from that front. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-10-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I saw someones boat who used luan plywood ( mahogany ) cut into 2 inch wide strips. He eased over the edges and left a small space between each strip. Brass screws were used to fasten the strips to pieces of wood, which were epoxied to the hull. Everything was finished with a high gloss varnish. It looked awesome.

I posted this to another thread before. If I can borrow a table saw over the winter, I would love to do something like this to my boat. Also the gap created by the wood epoxied to the hull would allow you to insulate.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2008
Harmonium S2 11.0

zerryda1 is on a distinguished road
easier than veneer

Hey Seafire,

I have a little experience with veneer. I was a cabinet maker and did furniture restoration for about 20 years. (computer geek now) I also have restored a number of fiberglass sailboats over the years. If the ceiling is fiberglass you’re going to have problems with condensation and therefore contact cement adhesion. If the boat is lined with some kind of wood product or luan already, you might be able to veneer over it but Freesail's suggestion of strips of luan held in with epoxy and brass screws is by far the easiest, quickest way to make the ceiling warmer looking.

Run a few stringers (say 3/8 to ˝ thick) across the ceiling perpendicular to the way you wish the strips to run and epoxy them into place (about every 12 to 18 inches). Once they are firmly attached you can easily attach the strips with screws and a little epoxy / glue. Put as little dab of glue / epoxy where the stringers and the strips touch and screw them into place. (good idea to dry fit them first) The space between the strips and the ceiling (thickness of the stringers) will allow the strips to breath and keep most of the condensation off them. You can do most of the finishing work before mounting the strips. (easier on the neck) You can get 1/8” or Ľ” luan plywood to cut into strips. Both are relatively flexible, lightweight and inexpensive.

Hope this helped.

Dan Z.

Annapolis MD.
Watkins 27
S2 11.0
Old 09-10-2008
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road
I used luan mahogany veneer on my bulkheads and table. Building centers sell this as flooring underlayment.

For the ceiling I used varnished 5/16" tongue and groove cedar strips about 4" wide. These are sold at the building supply center as wainscoting. I did not leave any spaces between the strips, and attached them with brass screws. The cedar keeps everything smelling fresh.

I ripped 1/2" treated plywood into pieces 1-1/2" wide for the backer "furring strips." I cut kerfs half way through them where necessary to allow them to bend to conform to the hull shape.

I've owned this boat for over 30 years but only tackled this project last fall. It's only been in for a year but so far so good. Here in Minnesota it has withstood temperatures ranging from 20 below 0 to 95 above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2008

Thanks for the input guys. I understand the concept of the stringers/screwed on strips. The only thing that concerns me in my particular case is that the Columbia has a very concave cabin top and I'm not sure I could get the stringers/finished surface to conform without perhaps steaming them. Also, when all is said and done, I'd be losing the better part of an inch of cabin height.

Is the purpose of allowing the space between the new wooden headliner and original ceiling to allow any moisture to evaporate?

My thought last night (before reading any relplies) was to roll on a thin layer of epoxy and apply the veneer like Formica (my grandfather was a cabinet maker )

I'll start looking into these other options as well
Old 09-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafire327 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I understand the concept of the stringers/screwed on strips. The only thing that concerns me in my particular case is that the Columbia has a very concave cabin top and I'm not sure I could get the stringers/finished surface to conform without perhaps steaming them. Also, when all is said and done, I'd be losing the better part of an inch of cabin height.
You could use 1/8" panels and 3/8" stringers, and that would only require losing 1/2". However, that 1/2" of space can have some very good benefits. If you line the back of the panels with heat reflective mylar and fill the space between the stringers with insulation, it can make the boat much warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. As for having a concave cabintop... you can cut kerfs into the stringers at various intervals to help it bend to match the cabin top curvature. Steaming really shouldn't be necessary.

Quote:
Is the purpose of allowing the space between the new wooden headliner and original ceiling to allow any moisture to evaporate?
THe space is to allow condensation to evaporate, rather than collect on the backsides of the panels.

Quote:
My thought last night (before reading any relplies) was to roll on a thin layer of epoxy and apply the veneer like Formica (my grandfather was a cabinet maker )

I'll start looking into these other options as well
I wouldn't do this, because I don't think it will look as good, and it has a much higher chance of dripping condensation all over the cabin. Less of an issue with a cored deck, but if the cabintop is solid fiberglass, it would probably become a problem.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-11-2008

sander06 is on a distinguished road
We had a Baba 30 that had wood-covered "everything". Looks great until you get a leak going that needs chasing down... and you will get a leak. I never knew if the wood was rotting, if chain-plates were corroding, etc. because everything was covered up. Anyways, the boat we have now has exposed white fiberglass on the interior with all of the fasteners exposed and the chain-plates are external to the hull. Got no leaks anywhere I am positive because I can see every square inch of the boat.

Anyways, think well before you start adding wood to cover fiberglass because it looks nice. You might be buying in to a whole lot of problems. Teak decks on a fiberglass boat are a prime example of one of the dumbest things that I can think of!!!

I thank you for you're time and patience in reading this public announcement...

Ha!
Old 09-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I wouldn't do this, because I don't think it will look as good, and it has a much higher chance of dripping condensation all over the cabin. Less of an issue with a cored deck, but if the cabintop is solid fiberglass, it would probably become a problem.

I guess it's a matter of taste Dog The Deck is not solid, and since there hasn't been a condensation problem thus far, or any evidence of one, I don't see why adding the wood would suddenly cause this. Perhaps I'm missing something. I think I'm going to pass on insulation as well. Boat will be on the hard in winter.

Sander, I wasn't planning on covering any chainplate points, but your point is well taken.
Old 09-11-2008
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
heinzir - She looks real pretty - the boat's nice, too!

All that talk of gluing gets me concerned about tracking down leaks and rebedding of deck hardware. Anything I put in I like to think about how I would remove to gain access when necessary.

I glued in stringers and then screwed vinyl tongue and groove strips to the stringers. I covered the screws with teak strips. I prefer the white to wood for ceiling as it lightens the interior, but that's a matter of taste.

Whatever you do, I assume you'll be living with for quite a while. Make sure you like it and think what it will be like as a "legacy".
Old 09-11-2008

WinterRiver is on a distinguished road
Joel,

Thanks for the pic. It looks great.

I've been thinking of doing the same thing, replacing some old vinyl "fabric" with the vinyl tongue and groove strips. Did you use the standard Home Depot stuff?

Sorry for the slight hijack.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.