Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-10-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Be aware that most of the under sink filters are designed to work with treated water, which the water in many freshwater tanks are really going to qualify as. Also, if you don't have a pressure water system, the filters aren't going to be very useful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Are you sure the foot pump is for the water tank? Many boats have a foot pump that brings in sea water for a salt water wash that you follow with a fresh water rinse. Seawater can really get funky pretty fast sitting in the hose. You might have a sea water foot pump. My boat has both fresh & seawater foot pumps. The fresh water foot pump is fine but the seawater foot pump does stink & we don't use it.
Old 09-10-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
inspection port

Hello,

IMHO, if your tank doesn't have an inspection port, you need to add one. After seeing (and cleaning) the inside of my tanks, I don't believe there is any way to really clean the tank without getting in there and scrubbing.

The tanks on my O'day came with inspection ports. The tank on my Newport did not. It was pretty easy to add one.

Good luck,
Barry

Old 09-22-2008
Hudson sailor

andrevenables is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to andrevenables
fresh water

I have a 1976 Oday. The water tank is a 12 gallon 1976 water tank. I am the third owner. A basic water and Clorox rinse 9 years ago when I bought the boat made me feel more confident but I decided to use the tank water for dishwashing and hand washing etc,etc. I have a two gallon Rubbermaid jug for drinking water and some extra 1 gal. cider jugs. On a recent twelve day trip to Lake Champlain the jugs supplied all the drinking water and the 12 gallon tank took care of chores, with three refills from the lake and from marina hoses for the 12 gallon tank. BTW, I have an electric pump-faucet and that movers a lot of water at a time so I was rather profligate with my fresh water supply. But drinking water came from known, pure supplies kept in portable bottles.
Old 09-23-2008

JudyWakefield is on a distinguished road
This is very helpful to me as well. I am new to the sailing after 35 yrs. and just bought a bayfield 25 this month and live in Nova Scotia, so I have to learn a lot in a short time in order to winterize as well. The previous owners have been extra helpful but live a distance away and cant have "hands on " to show me everything.
Judy
Old 09-23-2008

CrackerJacks is on a distinguished road
I had a similar situation>I was told to put a quart of cheap Vodka in the tank. I let it sit and then pumped it out. Worked well for me.
Bette
Old 09-24-2008

marid22 is on a distinguished road
hose gunk

You can get the tank spotless and disinfected, but if you take a look at the hoses you will gag. They really don't seem to come clean. You will need to replace them, including the fill, though the ones that run horizontally are the grimiest.
Old 09-24-2008
Re-Member

welshwind is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't think you really would need to replace the fill line. In normal installations, water would never sit in it like it would the supply line from the tank to the sink.

"To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.”
- Oliver Wendel Holmes
Old 09-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Depends on where the fill port on your tank is. If it is at the bottom of the tank, then the last few inches of fill hose can get very grungy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshwind View Post
I wouldn't think you really would need to replace the fill line. In normal installations, water would never sit in it like it would the supply line from the tank to the sink.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-05-2008

FrankTugw2ell is on a distinguished road
If your tank is aluminum, don't use bleach. It will attack the aluminum, I am sorry to say. You might try a gallon of cheap Vodka, which will not hurt the aluminum, but which will attack fiberglass. Use chlorox if the tank is fiberglass, but not aluminum.