Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-10-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Perkins 4-108 Radiator Cap

Anyone out there with a Perkins 4-108 engine; I need a new radiator cap for mine and can't find a proper cap to replace it. The cap that is on it is an AC Delco; but the P/N that is on the cap does not cross reference and it does not come up at the AC Delco website.

It is a "low-line" model engine with the coolant reservoir at the front of the engine. It has a 7 psi cap; about 2.68" OD, 2" ID.

If someone has an aftermarket cap with a P/N on it it would really help if you could post that P/N here. I've searched the web and the local auto-parts store could not find suitable replacement in their book.

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
For all things perkins, try trans Atlantic Deisel in Virginia. TAD for perkins engines, perkins diesel, perkins marine, perkins parts, perkins generators, perkins service
They are quite knowledgable on all the Perkins stuff.
Old 09-10-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
The Perkins part no. is:

2487895 Cap, header tank fill

Bill
Old 09-10-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Bill-

Is that P/N for the low-line engine? Just wanted to make sure. The cap looks like a standard automotive application; but I can't find any cross-ref info. I have a local marine shop that sells Perkins parts; but I was hoping to find an inexpensive alternative since I know it will probably be 3x as much at the marine shop.
Old 09-10-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Sure, you can fit any number of after-market 7lb radiator caps.

However, I believe that can be penny wise and pound foolish. The cost of a new Perkins cap isn't going to break anyone, and it's a pretty important part. Maintaining a good fit and the right pressure is important to your engine functioning properly.

Over the years I've tried several different ones, but went back to the genuine Perkins cap. They last many years if you take reasonable care of your engine.

Bill
Old 09-10-2008
STARBOARD!!

Thanks; the only problem with mine is a bad top seal. I hate to spend 30-50 bucks on such a simple, commonly available part. I'll call and find out exactly what one goes for tomorrow. I'm sure that a new cap would out-last the engine since the one I'm replacing is probably the original cap or an old "AC" aftermarket. It still works; just has a bad seal.

Believe me; I would not install something that does not fit or work properly; I was simply looking for someone with the same engine who had replaced the cap. It is good to know what aftermarket part works so if someday I am cruising I can go to a local parts store and find a part that would fit. The same is true for engine oil filters, fuel filters, thermostats, etc. I have a list that has the cross reference numbers for different brands of each.
Old 09-11-2008
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road
I replaced mine with the same size and psi cap from an auto parts store 2 years ago. Has been fine. Nothing exotic about these caps. No unusual sizes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Trekka CSY33
Old 09-11-2008
STARBOARD!!

Would you happen to have a P/N? My local stores must really suck because they could not cross ref a part in the catalog. I really did not think it was a "special" size either. I think I will try a different parts store tomorrow; just to be sure.
Old 09-11-2008

MIKEMCKEE will become famous soon enough
Call this place, it's the Mid-Atlantic Perkins Dealer. (804) 642-9296 & there webb site is www.TAD123.com. I just bought my cap from them, didn't cost too much.

Good Luck,

Mike
Old 10-03-2008
STARBOARD!!

Got an email from a fellow Newport owner; he said that the Perkins replacement part is a Gates 31348 (out of the OEM Perkins Box). Posting here in case someone needs a P/N to cross reference.

This also cross references to a Stant 10292.

Last edited by KeelHaulin; 10-03-2008 at 06:29 PM.