Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-11-2008
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Suncor Lifeline Kits

Does anyone have any experience they can share regarding the Suncor lifeline kits? I plan on replacing my lifelines and a certain retailer has them on sale (sorry, Sailnet doesn't carry it). Each kit includes 40ft of wire, one toggle and one turnbuckle. They also make a gate kit. The hardware uses a mechanical connector like Norseman, Hyan, etc., so it is a DIY proposition.

Last edited by SVCarolena; 09-11-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2008
Pearson 303

Here is an example of the kit (this is the one with the gate):

Lifeline Kit with Gate

NEW Suncor Stainless Do-It-Yourself lifeline kit with gate. Suncor Stainless's part number is C0747-LK01.

Do it yourself! Rig a Lifeline in minutes.

Kit Includes:

1 Quick Attach Double Gate Eye
1 Quick Attach Gate Eye
1 Quick Attach Pelican Hook
2 Quick Attach Turnbuckles with toggle
40 feet of White PVC Coated Lifeline (3/16 wire)

App. Wt. 8lbs

Old 09-11-2008
Pearson 303

Still no takers? Anyone want to give their thoughts even if they don't have first hand experience? Personally, I like the idea becasue (i) it is cheaper or equal in cost to swaged fittings, (ii) DIY is always a plus in my book (no riggers nearby), and (iii) it looks like the end fittings could be reused down the road. I considered the self swage CS Johnson fittings that WM sells, but I'm a little leary on the strength of the small swager (which WM will let you use in the store).

I know some don't like coated lifelines, but my boat is generally in fresh water (tidal, but have to go a few miles down river to even hit brackish), and I like the look of the white over stainless.
Old 09-11-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
SV- I like the idea of DIY. If the fittings are reusable it seems like a no brainer, I'll have to go to their website and check them out. I need to change my lifelines so this is timely. Thanks!

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 09-11-2008
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
I need to replace my lifelines and am considering this as one of my options. The other is to go with low-stretch line, which CS Johnson has fittings for now.

So the Suncor kit gives you enough for one line, one side?

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 09-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don't use PVC coated wire. Stainless steel needs oxygen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-11-2008

Hobos is on a distinguished road
Interesting advise on the PVC coated lines. I've never this before. Mine are coated, will have to research this.
Old 09-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Stainless steel deprived of oxygen tends to suffer from crevice corrosion. This is why the ORC/ISAF require boats in races to have synthetic line or uncoated stainless steel for lifelines. This is also why taping rigging is a bad idea.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-11-2008

Hobos is on a distinguished road
Than you SD, I thought the rule was strickly for inspection reason. I will strip mine when I put up for winter. Yuck.
Old 09-12-2008
Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Stainless steel deprived of oxygen tends to suffer from crevice corrosion. This is why the ORC/ISAF require boats in races to have synthetic line or uncoated stainless steel for lifelines. This is also why taping rigging is a bad idea.
SD is absolutely correct in that the non-PVC line will last much longer than the covered. In addition, non-covered allows you to keep an eye on the line for potential deterioration that the PVC may hide. However, for my purposes I'm going to still go with PVC. This is because of the fact that right now there is a good chance that I'll sell the boat in four to five years (yep, twofootitis has already set in). I also like the look of the white lines and the PVC is easier on the hands. I don't go offshore, and my boat is used primarily in fresh to brackish water. If I was certain to keep the boat long enough and/or go longterm cruising, I'd probably go with the non-covered line.

In response to the OP, yes, each kit contains the hardware for one line on one side, with 40 ft. of 3/16 line (that is the wire size, not the diameter with the PVC cover).

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.