Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-12-2008
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Diesel from Gas Station

I looked up a thread on this but it wasn't all that current, so...

Can you use diesel from the local gas station in a marine diesel? I'm talking a 20-yr-old Yanmar here. The reason it has come up is the only fuel dock convenient to my boat has a broken pump and I am low on fuel. So I got 4 gallons at the local station and poured it in, which is when I noticed the automotive stuff wasn't dyed red. Any other difference at this point--say sulphur content?

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2008
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Vitesse473 is on a distinguished road
Yes, in fact, the diesel you will get at the street pump will probably be cleaner than an old marina tank that has a New York City size microbe colony living in it. Besides, it'll be atleast $2/gallon cheaper.

I have two 5 gallon diesel jerry cans on my boat. Any chance I get, I fill them up at a street station and then pour them into the tank. My 62 gallon tank and my wallet thank me for the extra effort.
Old 09-12-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Should be no difference other than the red dye, to say you have NOT paid road taxes on the red dyed stuff. It is ok to put the non dyed into a boat.......Just DO NOT put the red dyed stuff into your diesel car or truck. That dye stays there for many miles, the fine is somethng like $100to $1000 per gal of your fuel tank for running red dye/non taxed fuel in an over the road type vehicle. Also as mentioned, the non marina fuel seems to be cleaner with less water/microbes etc from my experience too! This is from the poorer person whom had a $300 fuel bill for truck, bobcat, trackhoe, 4 5 gal containers the other day!

Marty
Old 09-12-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
I looked up a thread on this but it wasn't all that current, so...

Can you use diesel from the local gas station in a marine diesel? I'm talking a 20-yr-old Yanmar here. The reason it has come up is the only fuel dock convenient to my boat has a broken pump and I am low on fuel. So I got 4 gallons at the local station and poured it in, which is when I noticed the automotive stuff wasn't dyed red. Any other difference at this point--say sulphur content?
Yep that too..... Off road is still the high sulfur content...well not as high as 20 years ago but higher then tier two emitions alow. I can definitely tell when running off road compared to highway fuel in my equipment not so much performance wise but exhaust smell wise..High sulphur definitely stinks more. There was a lot of propaganda that the low sulfur would dammage our older equipments engines and or fuel systems..I havent seen that. ( I'm talkin Straight diesel now not Bio-Diesel crap ) But just keep that in mind and maybe contact your manufacturer to see what they say. And dont take my word for it.

Hey Marty..your doing great, we burned 1400 bucks worth last week alone.

Last edited by Stillraining; 09-12-2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old 09-12-2008

Banshi is on a distinguished road
Amazingly your marina is probably charging more for the off road when they in fact are getting it for less (off road diesel is quite a bit cheaper). The new lower sulfur fuels are supposed to be backwards compatible. They have replaced the lubrication properties of the sulfur with other chemicals, I would use some sort of after market additive with it on any older engine. These additives typically have additional lubrication additives and cleaners to help keep you diesel running smooth. Cummins used to tell everyone you really did not need these but since the switch to lower sulfur fuel they have said "it's ok". When one of the oldest manufacturer of Diesel engines in the US suddenly changes positions on an issue like this, buyers beware, there is probably a good reason for it.
Old 09-12-2008

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
You can use either gas station diesel or marina diesel.

Soon, if not already, both on and off road will have the same sulfur content. Despite a lot of misconception out there, sulfur is only a contaminant and is not a lubricant of any sort what so ever.
Old 09-12-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
WE do it but find it best to use a filter funnel to keep any water out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-12-2008

Banshi is on a distinguished road
Actually it is the removal of the sulfur that reduces the lubrication properties which have to be put back into the fuel to be technical about it. Of course in a few years we will find out that the lubricants they added back into the fuel (that must be there to operate your engine without damaging it) are more detrimental to the environment than the sulfur...............al la the catalytic converter and nitros oxides it creates which are a 300 times stronger greenhouse gas than co2 which it is supposed to be reducing.

The answer remains the same you can use it but I would use an additive with it on a older engine, there are no repair stations on the open sea to get the fuel pump rebuilt when a lack of lubrication burns it up.
Old 09-12-2008

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
I agree there's no harm in adding a lubricant. I like lube.
Old 09-12-2008

intrim is on a distinguished road
tax refund for on-road diesel used in off-highway vehicles.

I have started using only highway diesel in my construction equiptment. b20 to be exact. I used to have to change fuel filters every couple of months. since changing to on-road fuel, I haven't had to change any. over a year! no engine filter issues. If I wasn't using b20 I would use and additive like other posters suggested. Give all your fuel reciepts for the boat to the accountant and you can deduct all highway tax. I think it is the fact that on-road fuel is cycled more frequently and prob filtered more. (maybe).