Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-12-2008
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Eye splicing core-to-core

I tried it last night with this line
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|311417|314170|749707&id=829503&cartId=1006457

One of the worst experiences of my life. I just don't think the cover has enough give to allow it. The correct size fid didn't even push through. Tried using a hanger, then just a string tied to the end of the core which worked up until the end when I couldn't get the core back out of the cover. Hours, upon hours, upon hours. I'm tying a friggin knot. I may try again on my mainsheet to make it look a little better, but I'm thinking 1/4" is a bit too small for this type of splice. Maybe the line I'm using sucks.
Old 09-12-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Tying a knot may not bet the best idea, since the line is a high-modulus core with a polypropylene cover, which is going to rather slippery for most knots. Try using a Toss Splicing Wand... they seem to work in cases where traditional fids fail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2008

GoslingNY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
I tried it last night with this line
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|311417|314170|749707&id=829503&cartId=1006457

One of the worst experiences of my life. I just don't think the cover has enough give to allow it. The correct size fid didn't even push through. Tried using a hanger, then just a string tied to the end of the core which worked up until the end when I couldn't get the core back out of the cover. Hours, upon hours, upon hours. I'm tying a friggin knot. I may try again on my mainsheet to make it look a little better, but I'm thinking 1/4" is a bit too small for this type of splice. Maybe the line I'm using sucks.
The link is bad. What line is it?

I've used snares for over 15 years. Get a thin piece of tubing, cut the end at a taper, smooth and polish it, double a piece of line and run it through the tube with the loop end out of the tapered end. You can then use it like a Splicing Wand but much, much less expensive.

If you'll give some specifics about the line, I may be able to help.

Cheers,

MikeR
Old 09-12-2008

I fear that a wand won't help. A coat hanger with the line taped to it wouldn't go though. I finally tied a piece of sail thread to it and pulled it through the cover after a long time fighting with it (this method took about 30minutes or more) and then couldn't get it out of the cover at the end.

Doubling the line and adding the thickness of even a thin walled tube of some kind would make it even more difficult.

The line is 1/4" samson Ultra lite.
Old 09-12-2008

What type of splice are you trying to do, and what is it for? I think you might have said that it's a main sheet. If so, since the great majority of the strength is in the core, why not just strip the cover back, do a brummel splice in the end and whip the cover back close to the end. Pretty simple, I think.

If you try it that way, let us know how it works.

Cheers,

MikeR

Quote:
I fear that a wand won't help. A coat hanger with the line taped to it wouldn't go though. I finally tied a piece of sail thread to it and pulled it through the cover after a long time fighting with it (this method took about 30minutes or more) and then couldn't get it out of the cover at the end.

Doubling the line and adding the thickness of even a thin walled tube of some kind would make it even more difficult.

The line is 1/4" samson Ultra lite.
Old 09-12-2008

The splices are for my main and jib halyards. I would also use the main halyard to go up the mast, which is why I wanted to do a core to core splice.

I'll have to look into the brummel splice.
Old 09-12-2008

If I were doing it, I would do a composite halyard with a 12 strand (either dyneema 75 or vectran) top, covered at the hauling end with some inexpensive cover.

If this is of interest, I can put some info together for you. I've built hundreds of these and can say without exception that they turn out light, strong and easy to handle.

Cheers,

MikeR

Quote:
The splices are for my main and jib halyards. I would also use the main halyard to go up the mast, which is why I wanted to do a core to core splice.

I'll have to look into the brummel splice.
Old 09-12-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
I had the same trouble with 5/16 Samson XLS Extra-T. I think one issue is that with the tight weave of the cover you really cannot do a traditional eye splice where the cover tail is buried into the line. You need to do a core-core splice where the cover is not tucked, then whip the cover tail to the line. If you are already trying to do it this way then I can't be of any more help other than you really have to work the line hard to get the splice to suck back into the cover.

Here is the splicing method I used:

http://www.samsonrope.com/site_files...Eye_Splice.pdf
Old 09-12-2008

Gary M is on a distinguished road
I spliced some Sampson Ultrlaight this summer for spin sheets and had no issues but but it was 3/8". 1/4" would be a little tougher. Normally I would not use Ultra light for halyards.
One suggestion is never push a fid, milk the line onto to it. A simple "wand" can be made up using small wire, about 1 mm thick. I have some SS wire that works well looped and twisted at the end.

Gary