Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-14-2008

dancamp is on a distinguished road
what kind of furling system do I have?

I just bought a boat and don't know anything about the furling system. Can anybody tell me what type of furling system I have? It has a round drum on the bottom and a smaller one on top. I believe the sail run into the system with a rope sewn into the sail. I have a big genoa too that has the rope luff sewn in and I'm wondering how I'm going to put it on. I need some directions on how to load and unload the sails.
It's on a 40' Offshore Cheoy Lee if that helps.
here are some photos I took of it:
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/o...ling02copy.jpg
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/o...ling03copy.jpg
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/o...ling04copy.jpg
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/o...ling01copy.jpg
roller furling 02
roller furling 03
roller furling 04

thanks for any help

Last edited by dancamp; 09-14-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Don't know what type of furler it is but it appears as if there is a luff groove built into the foil. You need to unroll the existing furled sail and let the halyard go loose, then pull the sail down. The luff rope will exit at a wider point on the foil and that is how you remove the existing sail. The new sails rope luff is threaded into this wide spot starting with the head of the sails and the halyard is raised gradually as you feed in more or the luff rope. This presumes that the luff rope on the new sail FITS the existing groove. Otherwise the sail will need to be re-worked with a new luff that does fit the groove.
Old 09-14-2008

Thanks for the help. My only question now is: How do I pull the new furled sail up without a halyard? You see, their is no forestay. I only have this furler which is winched up by a winch. I guess I need to release the winch and bring down the furler, but then I'll have no support holding my mast forward. Weird setup if you ask me. Maybe I'm missing something I don't know about. I imagine I should probably loosen the backstay and wait for a real calm day and then try bringing it all down. I hate to climb up the mast with only the main halyard to hang on to, though it should hold me.
Maybe I should step the mast and add a spinnaker halyard which appears to be missing from the block up there and then see what I have.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 09-14-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancamp View Post
I just bought a boat and don't know anything about the furling system. Can anybody tell me what type of furling system I have? It has a round drum on the bottom and a smaller one on top. I believe the sail run into the system with a rope sewn into the sail. I have a big genoa too that has the rope luff sewn in and I'm wondering how I'm going to put it on. I need some directions on how to load and unload the sails.
It's on a 40' Offshore Cheoy Lee if that helps.
here are some photos I took of it:
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/o...ling02copy.jpg
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/o...ling03copy.jpg
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/o...ling04copy.jpg
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/o...ling01copy.jpg

thanks for any help

I'm pretty sure by looking at the photos that it is an old Hood system.
I can't recall the model right now but can look it up tomorrow.

Could you take another few shots of the extrusion after you have the sail down?
Old 09-14-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Thanks for the help. My only question now is: How do I pull the new furled sail up without a halyard? You see, their is no forestay. I only have this furler which is winched up by a winch. I guess I need to release the winch and bring down the furler, but then I'll have no support holding my mast forward. Weird setup if you ask me. Maybe I'm missing something I don't know about. I imagine I should probably loosen the backstay and wait for a real calm day and then try bringing it all down. I hate to climb up the mast with only the main halyard to hang on to, though it should hold me.
Maybe I should step the mast and add a spinnaker halyard which appears to be missing from the block up there and then see what I have.
Thanks again for your help.
Something sounds screwy. I see no evidence of an internal halyard in your photos and you mention that there is "a round drum on the bottom and a smaller one on top". The one at the top has to be your halyard swivel.
Your system may be a Stearn or Stream Stay type that doesn't get installed over a headstay but you have to have a halyard. Either internal or external.
Old 09-14-2008

northbay is on a distinguished road
I agree on the Hood system. It does need a halyard and
I can't figure the part on not having a headstay (?).
Old 09-14-2008

GoslingNY is on a distinguished road
Reminds me of furlers where a piece of 1x19 is sewn into the jib luff and tensioned with a halyard. The furled forestay sits 6" or so behind the forestay. But wait, there's a foil. I'm stumped. Very weird, to say the least.

I'd recommend that you get a rigger involved. To fool around with this on your own could wind up pretty messy.

Cheers,

MikeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Something sounds screwy. I see no evidence of an internal halyard in your photos and you mention that there is "a round drum on the bottom and a smaller one on top". The one at the top has to be your halyard swivel.
Your system may be a Stearn or Stream Stay type that doesn't get installed over a headstay but you have to have a halyard. Either internal or external.
Old 09-14-2008

I appreciate all the help. Yes it does not have a head stay on this boat. The furler is the actual head stay and it does have a metal halyard that is attached to the furler that goes down the mast to a winch.
I'll hold off on doing anything to it until I find somebody who might know what type of deal I have here to work with. Looking forward to any further info on who makes this furler.
thanks again
Old 09-14-2008

Quote:
I appreciate all the help. Yes it does not have a head stay on this boat. The furler is the actual head stay and it does have a metal halyard that is attached to the furler that goes down the mast to a winch.
I'll hold off on doing anything to it until I find somebody who might know what type of deal I have here to work with. Looking forward to any further info on who makes this furler.
thanks again

You should be perfectly safe unrolling the sail and dropping the sail. The "metal halyard" is not holding up the furler, just the swivel and sail.
Drop it and take a few more pics so we can ID the system for you.
Old 09-14-2008

Oh, okay, I'll try removing the sail. I actually thought the metal halyard was holding up the forestay (roller furling in this case). So I will try removing the jib today and take some more photos.
Thanks again so much