SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Head - Hoses (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/47085-head-hoses.html)

tdw 09-14-2008 04:30 AM

Head - Hoses

Hmm.....Womboat has a Lavac, which is basically irrelevent to this thread but if I don't say it SD will undoubtedly wanto know. :p

OK, pump not well. Henderson MK thingymebob, again irrelevent.

Ripped it out, went to install new one, figured I might as well redo all the hoses as well.

Got some of that you beaut no smell toilet hose but for the love of me I cannot convince the stuff to go onto the fittings. I've heated it, I've coated it in vasoline, I've cajoled, I've cursed, I've had a beer or ten while I sat and pondered. Yes it is the correct size.

Anyone ??????

Help...he whimpered quietly.

djodenda 09-14-2008 05:41 AM

Wombat:

I did the same thing a couple of years ago. Fun job! The only way I could make it work was heat. Specifically, I soaked the hose ends in boiling water. (For quite a while)

Still a brutal job.

I hope someone comes up with a better answer for you.

David

sailingdog 09-14-2008 07:06 AM

Fuzzy-

Think you need to go the boiling water route... that really good no-smell hose is awfully stubborn and difficult to work with otherwise. :)

NorthUp 09-14-2008 07:52 AM

heat required-

A hot air gun is one good way to fit tight hoses, use it to gently heat the (bronze?) hose stubs as well as the hose.

RXBOT 09-14-2008 08:07 AM

Why

Why would you heat the bronze hose barbs as that will make them expand. I agree with the boiling water. Dish detergent makes a good lubricant. If you can find an appropiate cone shaped object (like a big fid) you can preform it a bit after the boiling water before putting on barb. If this all fails cut some grooves into the outside surface so the hose will expand easier.

NorthUp 09-14-2008 08:15 AM

because

...the hose will not be cooled and go hard by the bronze stub as it is pushed over - nothing worse than getting the hose half on and then it jams!
True, the stub will expand, but not nearly as much as the hose will be softened, and it will not need much heat, just take the chill of it and a little more for good luck.

northbay 09-14-2008 09:36 AM

I had success with a heat gun over several minutes with
dish detergent over the fitting. Worked for me.

Freesail99 09-14-2008 09:47 AM

I owned a winery and we use a lot of hoses. I found that the heat gun and dish detergent works best. The hot water never worked that well for me and I had wished it had, as the heat gun would at times make brown burn marks on the hoses.

dgmace 09-14-2008 10:06 AM

Dry ice on the bronze fitting would probably help.
Ive used dry ice to get bearings on a shaft with great success.
Maybe it was the Rum?

Good luck
Capricous Marblehead Ma

Ham1sh 09-14-2008 12:00 PM

I replaced my old head hoses with reinforced sanitary hose. I tried for ages to fit the hose onto the plastic fittings - to no avail. I then discovered that the "ribbed" fittings were incompatible with that hose and that I required "smooth" fittings. The hose went on immediately and easily.