Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-15-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
I wonder if hull speed is affected with a bow thruster in a sailboat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2008

sander06 is on a distinguished road
With all due respect, it would be one heck of a lot cheaper just to learn how to maneuver your boat without the need of auxillary aids. You're going to need to know how to do it anyways when your bow thruster breaks down and you're right back where you started from.
Old 09-15-2008

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
Ah, a fundamentally sound philosophy, but don't stop there. You'll save even more money and become a true sailor by chucking the engine, transmission, shaft and prop.

Bob kinda prefers a bit o' assistance, comfort, and a substantial margin of safety in his declining years.
Old 09-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, not installing a bow thruster makes the boat hull less vulnerable to leaks, drag, growth, corrosion...etc. Lowers the maintenance costs, and increases your seamanship skills. IMHO, a 36' boat just isn't big enough to require a bow thruster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-15-2008

Karletto is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
I wonder if hull speed is affected with a bow thruster in a sailboat?
not much because the tunnel in small. on ships this problem is solved with two covers on each sides of the tunnel. covers open when the thruster is needed and close when it is not needed. some tunnels have metal rods/ sticks in order to keep debris out.

Last edited by Karletto; 09-15-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-08-2008

nautilus700 is on a distinguished road
Smile External bow thruster

I can highly recommend an external bow thruster I installed myself about ˝ year ago.
It was very easy to install (took my about 4 hours, completely with joystick hock up and everything) It is an electric bow thruster and it works perfect. I bought it from a company called Easy Skipper easyskipper.com
Old 10-08-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Welcome aboard Nautilus! If you have no connection with EasySkipper...that is fine. If you do have a connection you need to disclose that.
Old 10-08-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander06 View Post
With all due respect, it would be one heck of a lot cheaper just to learn how to maneuver your boat without the need of auxillary aids. You're going to need to know how to do it anyways when your bow thruster breaks down and you're right back where you started from.
I have a slip in the marina that has limited space and is a real swine to get into when there is any wind blowing and a tidal stream running thru so it is often really hard to get in and out of. I have many years of practise and experience but sometimes there is no amount of know-how that will make it any easier.

So, yes, I hear all the calls for better seamanship but if I subscribed to that philosophy I would not have GPS, EPIRB, chart plotter, autopilot, Iridium phone, roller furling, wheel steering, wind instruments, refrigerator, pressurised water, the list of things upon which we have come to depend that could fail is actually too long to continue.

So in spite of having to probably live with the moniker of "poor seaman", I'm seriously contemplating a bow thruster as well. And why is a 36 footer too small? If your boat becomes easier to handle what difference does the size make? When the bow thruster stops working (which some believe is inevitable) then you have to rely on seamanship. So what? That's like the cruise control on my car failing. When it does, I have to start driving again , doesn't stop me using it while it works.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-08-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocho View Post
What size bow thruster I need for my 22 000 pounds Union 36?
Any reading for installing thruster by yourself?
Thank you
22000 Lbs??? 36 feet?? you don't need a bow thruster...you need another mast, a bigger sail..... and an engine...
Old 10-08-2008

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
ive seen smaller boats with thrusters and even motor boats that can be more maneuverable have bow thrusters i think they are a life saver as long as you know how to function with out it also some people rely on it like another engine that i disagree with but if you can function with out it and jsut want the easier maneuverability then you should get it