Join Date: Aug 2010
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
I just rebuilt my solar vent this evening with excellent results using this approach. A couple of refinements:
First, if you carefully cut-off the original tube encasing the electric motor with a hacksaw right along the edge of the bottom of the tube (where the motor shaft exits, closest to the fan blade), you can maintain the original depth of the tube. Then all you need is to use is the top from a sugar sprinkle container, and not the container itself or any new tubing. I think a spice jar lid would work also. The lid slips right over the original tube and ultimately can be glued on at the end of the project.
Second, when you drill the hole in the center of the lid, make it large enough so the shoulder on the motor where the shaft exits will fit down inside. A 1/4' drill worked perfectly for me. This way everything will sit flat when you glue the motor to the lid.
Third, I used doorbell wire for the rewiring which was easier to solder and work with. Use a solder gun, not a torch.
Fourth, use one-minute epoxy to first glue the motor to the lid and then glue the lid over the original tube once the motor has set.
As fixed, my vent fan is quieter and seems to run on less sun than before. The Sundance Solar motor, part # 700-60062-00, is still available for less than $9.00.