Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
SBS did the motor turn real slow and stop.. then when you start it turning again it slows down again and stops?

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2010
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
SBS did the motor turn real slow and stop.. then when you start it turning again it slows down again and stops?
That's sort of the way it acted before I spritzed it with WD40.

And, WD40 is a light lubricating oil in a solvent. The oil lubricates AND acts as a moisture barrier/dispersant, while the solvent helps to disperse the solution. One reason WD40 tends to work so well on previously lubed parts is that it helps clean the gunk and such away (via its solvent fraction) and leave a nice thin layer of lubricating oil.
Old 12-10-2010

KeokiMaui is on a distinguished road
Was anybody able to remove the bottom plastic section that surrounds the blade, prior to cutting the base of the motor enclosure? It looks like it was snapped into place. I don't want to break it while trying to pry it free.
Old 01-09-2011

KeokiMaui is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Repair requires vodka

Here is how I replaced my motor. Using sundance solar's motor, and the cap from a bottle of Absolute vodka (or any good cap that is 1 3/8" dia).

Cut 3/8" off the top edge of motor housing with dremel cutting attachment:

Cut wires between battery and motor housing. Remove motor by grabbing the exposed edge with vicegrip pulling with a slight twist back and forth:

Cut grey and white wires close to soldered connection on motor:

Grind away most of plastic inside cap with dremel tool. Cut 1/4" hole in center. Seat motor in cap with silicone:

Solder battery and panel wires to motor:

Seat cap with motor inside motor housing with silicone:

...Bob's yer uncle

Last edited by KeokiMaui; 01-09-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-16-2011
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I replaced it! now I'll be able to fix the old one. Question, what rating/ spec of is the little resistor or diode? and would I get it at radio shack?

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2011

Rheath123 is on a distinguished road
I was able to reuse the existing parts to repair the motor. I used a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel. You need to use the non-reinforced small ones for clearance and cut the
tube the motor sits in about half way down. You want to cut far enough towards the base to re-connect the wiring. Pull the top off (the part you cut away from the base. You will need to break the glue line that holds the old motor in. The new motor is slightly smaller in diameter than the old one. Center it into the part that you cut off and glue it in with a hot melt glue gun. Be sure to center the motor insure that the motor shaft does not rub the plastic which will cause drag on the motor. Now, place the motor tube on the base and solder the wires to the motor. I suggest you take the unit in the sun and confirm that you have hooked the motor up correctly. Reverse the wires if the motor runs backwards. Now use hot glue to attach the motor tube back onto the base. Build up a glue bead around the perimeter of the tube taking care to seal the glue joint so that no water can enter. Although hot glue isn't very strong it is good enough in this application and has the advantage that it can be disassembled should you need to replace the motor again.

Ray
SV Child's Play
Old 10-04-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
I just noticed, it's been exactly one year since my most recent post to this thread (see above) and the Nicro vent on my boat is still quietly spinning away. Too bad SD isn't around anymore to tell us all how WD40 is no good.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 10-27-2011

davidh52 is on a distinguished road
My first posting -- Hello everyone. I have the same problem -- my Nicro Day/Night has died. It will spin in the bright sunlight, but the battery will never charge (I have recently installed a fresh one of proper amperage). A fresh battery will run the motor well. So, I have a couple of questions: First, can a solar array die; it looks as if the motor works if it gets enough juice, so I wonder if this solar panel is dying. Second, if it is the motor that is requiring too much juice to run and is itself kaput, how in the world do get down into the motor housing to do the recommended surgery. In my unit, the clear plastic assembly appears firmly affixed to the white plastic cover. Can the clear plastic assembly be separated from the white plastic cover in order to do the necessary cutting in order to replace the motor? Thanks - David
Old 02-24-2012

Danny Duquette is on a distinguished road
Hi everybody,

I did'nt see anybody trying open the unit as it suppose to. I was looking for a long time and decide to open it from where I saw glue (kind of bubble surronding plastic arround solar panel). I confirme we can open it with help of a heatgun and exacto. You only have to heat the plastic (stop before it's burning) so the glue come a little soft and you can cut the glue with your exacto inch by inch. At the end you only have to remove the solar cell. Take care to not tear off the solar wire by removing the top. Now you could have acces to the motor as you want to remove it and change it

Use silicone to seal around the solar cell when closing the unit when the job is finish.

--- 9$ solution ---
33.5mm x 22mm, 2mm shaft
Model RF-500TB, 1.5 - 12.0v., No load = 2700speed, 0.02Amp, Max load = 2180speed, 0.084Amp., 0.26w
Link 1 : Motor for Solar Projects - 1.5V to 12V DC
Link 2 : Shenzhen Kinmore Motor Co. Ltd >> DC Motor >> Model:RF-500TB

--- Seem to be the same as original motor but don't know where to buy ---
33.5mm x 33mm, 2mm shaft (similar RF-528 same size)
Model RK-528C-2495, 3 - 9v., No load = 6300speed, 0.165Amp, Max load = 5500speed, 0.450Amp., 1.12w
Link 1 : RF-528 24v dc motor for cash registerand vending machine products, buy RF-528 24v dc motor for cash registerand vending machine products from alibaba.com

Click photo for full view

Click photo for full view

I hope this gona by useful for your reparation.

Danny Duquette
Hull #708 - JessyMo
Old 07-27-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Nicro Day-Night 2000 solar vent repair

For those of you that might be contemplating repairing a Nicro Solar Vent per Danny's information, above, heed his words about caution. I attempted to remove the cap of the plastic covering the Solar Panel as shown in his Photo. In so doing however, I cracked one of the Pie-Shaped panels and discovered that the wire connecting the panels to the motor had been broken--likely by me in my efforts. Finding a replacement solar panel of the right voltage and amperage to run the motor and charge a 1.2 v battery that fits into the available space is a serious pain in the neck.

I did find a replacement motor at a local hobby center that fit the available space in the motor housing and will run on .5 or more volts and I did find a solar panel that generates the necessary voltage but it does need direct sunlight to get the motor spinning as the amperage is too low with even modest shading to start the motor.

Done properly, however, Danny's repair will resurrect the vent--which in our case is the only one that will fit the available space in the overhead hatch without goofing up the handle.

FWIW I used Silicon to re-close the top of the assembly so that it can easily be opened again in the future for subsequent repairs and a better solar panel if I can find one.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.