Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-18-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Nicro Day-Night 2000 solar vent repair

Well--It has now been 18 months since making our home-cooked repair/upgrade to our Solar Vent (see Post #42) and, other than a slight burp caused by the formation of a little rust on a battery contact after 15 months that was easily corrected, as described above, our unit keeps on going and going and going. Not bad for a $28.00 repair and a whole lot less costly than a replacement. Next report in 6 months...

FWIW...
arf145 likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2014

Mark Wyatt is on a distinguished road

Great thread.

I have 7 4" Nicro vents on my 36' sailboat. The ventilation is great when all are in place, with no leaks even in raging rainstorms and deck washdowns.. 2 are always in place inside protected cockpit cubbys, 12v powered from the boat's batteries; they are a different breed of cat, much more airflow. 5 are 4" SS Nicro deck plate vents. I bought them all in 1992. The "replace with a deck plate feature" is critical, because sheets and guys catch on them, people step on them in rough weather and when submerged they allow green water entry, and three are at deck level (not on the doghouse), so they are replaced with the deckplates when underway.

I had one die (motor?) around 2005 and replaced it with a new one. I can't believe Marinco has discontinued the model. Anyway, I only run them in winter when it rains in San Diego, switching to Nicro Dorade vents in summer which fit into the 4" deckplates in the dry season and are not rainproof but provide fantastic ventilation.

Some thoughts: All my ventilators have become really noisy as the years have passed, and lubrication does not fix the problem. But they're still spinning, so I consider the noise comforting. Clearly bearings that are failing. After learning Marinco (Nicro) is not supporting the vents, this thread is really interesting.

So I'll add my 2 cents. Blocking diodes reduce panel voltage when sunlit and the back leakage is negligible at night (or for weeks), a waste of components. Solar cells and motor should be carefully matched so it all works out. The original units came with NiCad batteries; as they failed, replacement NiMH batteries are much better. After running the vents for 8 months when switching I left the vents face down on a bunk and they spinned for forty hours.

So the original Nicro 4" SS deck vents are fabulously good things and I am sad Marinco decided to no longer support them.

Anyhoo, glad to read there's ways to keep them running; I spent $1400 for seven of them years ago and now the company has crapped on us and we're on our own.
Old 1 Week Ago
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Well--It is now 5 days shy of 2 years since making our home-cooked repair/upgrade to our Solar Vent (see Post #42) and, other than a slight burp caused by the formation of a little rust on a battery contact after 15 months that was easily corrected, as described in an earlier update, our unit keeps on going and going and going. Again, not bad for a $28.00 repair and a whole lot less costly than a replacement. Next and final report in 6 months...

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to svHyLyte For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (6 Days Ago), JimMcGee (1 Week Ago)