Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-15-2008

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
I hate those damn clips attached to the backstay! Putting up the main while still connected to that thing is just asking for trouble. Set up the topping lift and you will find it is much easier to raise the main, you won't have to be dead into the wind. Without the topping lift you have to stop sailing to reef. With the topping lift reffing is much easier. You DO reef don't you?

Funny story about that. A guy with a brand new Hunter 25 asked me if I would be going out today since the winds were steady at about 20 knots, gusting to better than 25. I said I was, and he asked to go along. I convinced him to take his boat. We reefed the jib (yes a reefable jib) and the main at the dock. We took the boat out and it handled really well. His wife went below and made coffee. We were sailing down the river nicely balanced, drinking coffee. I saw another boat up ahead, with two guys struggling to keep her upright. I told the owner of the Hunter 25 to make like he was laughing when we went by. He asked why, and I told him to take a close look at the other boat. He said "Holy Cow, It's a Hunter 25!" We blew by them like they were standing still, drinking our coffee and steering with a finger tip, and laughing a lot.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2008

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
so i would be able to reef mid sail with the topping lift rigged? would i do tht by taking up on it until im at the reef point and tying it all off then putting the strain back on it? because my last reefing experience didnt end up too well
Old 09-15-2008
All For Me Grog!

RumHead is on a distinguished road
I think what gc1111 meant is that it holds the boom up while you bring the main down to reef it. You wouldn't actually be using it to "lift" anything. It just carries the load of the sail and boom so it doesn't fall down into the cockpit, but the boom is ready to swing when you turn. I had the clip on the backstay as well and I can almost guarantee you'll forget and leave it clipped on - especially if you have a bimini. I have pictures with us sailing, looking happy and the dumb thing is still clipped.

I had a Catalina 22 and they are very tender/light. I'm not sure I would sail it in winds that really required reefing anyhow, unless I had to. Really great boat though - had some of my best trips on that one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-16-2008

CGMojo is on a distinguished road
Nautical terminolgy

Once a rope comes aboard a boat, it's a LINE.
Once a pulley comes aboard a boat, it's a BLOCK.
Walls are BULKHEADS, floors are DECKS, etc, etc.
Old 09-16-2008

sorry if i offended you.....and its only a line if it has a use not just because its on board

anyway. i have a two BLOCKS one all the way aft on the port side of the boom and another about 1/4 of the way forward on the starboard side the starboard one is larger than the port one which one should i run it through? btw the starboard one looks like the line running through it should come from forward of it while the after one looks like it could go either way

Last edited by mrwuffles; 09-16-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2008

gc1111 is on a distinguished road
Without more info, we are guessing. But my guess is that the starboard block is for a reefing line. Does your mainsail have a cringle in the luff slightly forward of that block?
Old 09-16-2008

i believe so, so i should irg the topping lift to the port block
Old 09-16-2008

gc1111 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwuffles View Post
i believe so, so i should irg the topping lift to the port block
I believe so, unless your mainsail has 2 reefs. You can tell by the leach cringles. It might have a small flattening reef plus a deeper reef. However most likely is the single reef plus a topping lift.
Old 09-16-2008

it only has one line of reef points on the sail sorry about the vague description ill be sure to post pics tommorow so i cant get a definate answer sorry for wasting time