Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-16-2008

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Lazy Jacks

My boat has lazy jacks, and while I like the concept I am not happy with how they work. With only two lines along side of the sail a lot of it spills out between them. They appear to have been modified, some line is real old and some is newer. The newer lines are larger and it doesn't appear to me there is any benefit to larger lines. I'd like to add an additional line to hold the sail in better. Finally, I need a new sail cover, and I'd like to have one made to fit aroud the lazy jacks and just eliminate the topping lift.

Has anyone seen a lazy jack installation they were particularly impressed with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The bottom sections of our lazyjacks are shock cord, they clip to the boom when required. We stow ours off the boom, on shock cords to the handrails unless we are dousing the main.

Though this creates an extra chore (setting them up and stowing them afterwards) it opens up the space between them for the hoist, making that easier, there are fewer chafe issues without the jacks in place at all times, and we use a regular sail cover without the hassle of fitting it around the jacks.

Being shock cord, though, they cannot act as a topping lift. We have a rigid vang/lift so that's not an issue.

There's an outfit called Ezee Jacks (sp?) that has a retractable setup too, but they are pricey.. though you could easily mimic their setup yourself. Some people swear by these too.

If our setup sounds good to you, PM me and I'll send you some pics. We're quite happy with them.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 09-16-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-16-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Gary we have a double "V" system, which can be pulled to the mast and clipped there when not in use, thus having them out of the way when raising the sail (making it easier) and also negating the need for a specialized sail cover. It linage consists of two length of line with a loop on the end both attached below our lower spreader times two (one on each side of the mast). One length is longer than the other The first line with the loop when pulled straight and down the boom reaches almost 1/2 the way down the boom and is 2 ft above it. The second length (longer) reaches 3/4 way down the boom and 2 ft above it when held tight. 3/8 inch shock cord with plastic attachment hooks at either end of it is attached as follows. One hook on the mast where the boom joins it.....shock cord is led through the first loop....the it i run down to the boom at the 1/2 mark around a small clip hook fastened on the boom and then led through the second looped line and then clipped to the end of ther boom with the other platic hook on the end of the shock cord. It looks like two triangles when in place and the sail never spills out. For removal all you do is pull the hooked end on the end of the boom up to the mast and clip it there out iof the way. Every 3 yeras or so the shock cord needs to be replaced at a minimal cost. Most Lazy jack systems are actually about 300 but you can make this yourself for about 50.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I just modified the boom on my boat to have a better lazy jack system and quick furling system. The modification is pretty simple.

I added four padeyes to each side of the boom. On the 12' boom, I spaced the padeyes 1' in from each end and 2.5' apart. I then ran shock cord through the padeyes on each side. On one side, I added plastic shock cord hooks between each pair of padeyes. To furl the sail, I pull the hook over the boom and attach it to the shock cord on the other side of the boom.

I then attached a line to each pair of the padeyes to make a four-leg lazyjack system that looks like this:

The four legs keep the sail pretty well contained when lowering or reefing the sail. The green line is long enough so that the lazy jacks can be lowered and run forward along the boom and up the mast, keeping them out of the way when raising the main or when sitting at anchor.

The materials I used for this are:

10 Padeyes (two are mounted on the mast just below the second set of spreaders, the other eight are mounted on the boom)
2 Harken micro blocks (attached to the padeyes on the mast)
140' of 5/32" line
6 Stainless steel 1" rings for attaching the lines to each other
20' of 1/4" shock cord
3 nylon shock cord hooks
20 3/16" x 1/4" stainless steel pop rivets
Lanocote

If you drop the lazyjacks forward, the sailcover doesn't even need to be modified. Total cost for the system was less than $200.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 09-16-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-16-2008

[QUOTE=chef2sail;369722]Gary we have a double "V" system, which can be pulled to the mast and clipped there when not in use, thus having them out of the way when raising the sail (making it easier) and also negating the need for a specialized sail cover.

Yours sounds exactly like mine, except there is no shock cord, you adjust the topping lines by a cleat on the mast. Maybe the points on the boom where they are attached are located wrong. That might explain why they don't work well.
Old 09-16-2008

montenido is on a distinguished road
Check out "Jiffy Jax" on google. I just installed them on my Cat 30 and I think they are the best thing since sliced bread. They retract so they fit under your sail cover, and they can be ordered (like mine) to be deployed from the cockpit. Once the sail is dropped and strapped, retract the lines and they are out of the way. Comes with great materials and easy to follow instructions.

My $.02

Good luck.

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Old 09-17-2008

sander06 is on a distinguished road
Slightly off subject... you mentioned having your sail covers made to handle the lazy-jack. I would suggest that you might consider making the sail covers yourself. It's an absolute cinch and would cost less than $100 in materials. Of course, I enjoy sewing having recovered all of our cushions, made pillows, and constructed canvas covers for most of our teak and other deck hardware. Makes me feel more a part of the boat.
Old 09-17-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
Check out "Jiffy Jax" on google. I just installed them on my Cat 30 and I think they are the best thing since sliced bread. They retract so they fit under your sail cover, and they can be ordered (like mine) to be deployed from the cockpit. Once the sail is dropped and strapped, retract the lines and they are out of the way. Comes with great materials and easy to follow instructions.

My $.02

Good luck.
My boat is equipped exactly this way, except only two lines per side, and I see that really need three. The idea of deploying the lazy jacks ever time I take the cover off, then putting them away again is what I don't like. I have to put bungee cords on the lines to keep the shackles or rings from banging against the mast in the wind. The topping lift on my boat is a poor arrangement too. I need a new sail cover. So what I plan to do is eliminate the topping lift, deploy the lazy jacks permanently to hold up the boom, and have the new cover slotted to close around the lazy jacks.
Old 09-17-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
EZ Jax

Check out EZ Jax E-Z-JAX Systems

Great system, priced right (at the time) and came with four lines along the boom.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 09-17-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
I'm experimenting with something...

My lazy Jacks are NOT symmetrical port to starboard.

On the Starboard side I have an EZjacks Copy and on the port side I have a traditional Lazy Jack.

The difference is hard to explain without a pic..(gimme some time to draw one) but the fundamental difference is how the "arc" travels.

If I'm raising or lowering I'll put the bow just off the wind to one side or another.

For raising, you don't want the top battens to catch so I'll push the leech of the sail to arc forward.

Lowering... I start with pusing the sail to arc to stern and swing the bow to push the sail to arc forward.

Wow.. this makes no sense without a pic... or 2

Gimme a minute...or many minutes...

I love

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.