After much hoping it wouldn't be true, Garmin officially SUCKS - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-16-2008

PilotAlso is on a distinguished road
After much hoping it wouldn't be true, Garmin officially SUCKS

FWIW:

I've been a big Garmin supporter and have owned and own a number of their products. BUTTTTTTTT

Has anyone but me noticed a HUGE drop-off in customer service?

I've been waiting for a chartplotter exchange since May and still haven't gotten the new unit even though Garmin promised one "shortly" when I talked to them in JULY.

In the meantime, I have a nearly useless unit due to the screen fogging so badly it is unreadable at times.

FWIW: I'm editing this post and hope to put it to rest.

Garmin has contacted me and resolved this thing to my satisfaction. My confidence in them is now restored. Just wish it hadn't taken so long.

Last edited by PilotAlso; 09-18-2008 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Garmin has contacted me and we've come to an understanding.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Strange. I had my chartplotter replaced in less than a week during the same time period. Send in in early May, received replacement unit right away - I was amazed at turnaround time. Are they just not responding? Did you ask them about what is taking so long?

They also responded promptly to all my questions (including one recently) and although I didn't always like their answers - I can't complain about customer service.
Old 09-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I had them fix a unit for me back in May and had no problems whatsoever. Took about a week. The unit was a Garmin GPSMap 192C, which is the primary chartplotter/GPS on my boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-17-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotAlso View Post
I've been waiting for a chartplotter exchange since May and still haven't gotten the new unit even though Garmin promised one "shortly" when I talked to them in JULY.
Have you contacted Garmin since then to ask them what's up? What was their response?

Jim
Old 09-17-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotAlso View Post
In the meantime, I have a nearly useless unit due to the screen fogging so badly it is unreadable at times.
I've always had good support from Garmin in the past, but haven't needed any lately.

Did you actually send the defective unit to them? Your post above suggests that you still have it. Normally, you have to send them the defective unit in order to get a repair or a swap.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-17-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
I recently...

I recently purchased a 3200 series plotter and an HD radome. Phone support was good but (hold times a little long) the manual for the radar is NON-EXISTENT!! I'm not kidding when I say this they have ZERO information on the radar other than how to install it.

Unless you have previously owned a radar, and understand the lingo, you'll have a very tough time figuring out the Garmin as there are literally NO instructions on it's use..

Other than that they have been great..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 09-17-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
I have used Gamin products for years, had a problem with water entering through the keypad on an early GPS76 which the dealer simply took off me and gave me a new one, no qestions asked.

Other than that I've had years of trouble-free operation so can't comment on support quality.

Andre
Old 09-18-2008

The rest of the story

Sorry so late, I was out of town.

Here is the story for those interested.

I too have had great support from Garmin in the past. Not that I've needed a great deal, my aviation and auto devices have been nearly trouble free. I had one issue with interference from the radios in my plane disturbing the GPS reception. Garmin sent me a new ($250 at the time) exterior antenna to fix the problems caused by my radios emitting too much RF interference.

Dang I was happy and told everyone who would listen how good Garmin was.

Fast forward to last year when I bought my 3006C chartplotter. After about one week of use, the screen fogged up whenever there was significant moisture in the air (high dew points). The fogging was so bad at times that you couldn't see the display.

I contacted Garmin and got an RMA for an exchange. Last fall, I received a remanufactured unit. The new unit came lightning fast and I was happy again. The only glitch was that the sailing season was over so I didn't get to try the new unit.

This past spring (May) I splashed the boat. What the heck! the new unit fogged up on the way to my mooring ball.

I called Garmin and was told that they knew of the problems with their units and that they would be providing a "fixed" model as soon as they got them from their supplier in Taiwan.

I was happy and trusted Garmin to do right. Heck, I bought a new 496 for my airplane while this was going on.

Having heard NOTHING back in July, I called and asked what was happening. I did have my unit but constantly had to be concerned that the screen would fog and be unreadable at any moment (not good).

The support desk said I was "number 2" on the list for replacement and I would be getting the RMA for the exchange "soon". Remember this is in July!.

I called again in August when I hadn't heard anything from Garmin. The representative said that they had me on the list but couldn't say when I might get my exchange RMA but it would be "soon".

Well, I called again this month after no call or update from Garmin. They again stated that I was "on the list" but they doubted I would be getting the exchange this season. I asked when it might happen, they said they had no idea but it would be "soon".

I asked to talk to someone higher up the totem pole. The representative said that he would have that person call me and proceeded to take my phone number.

You guessed it, I STILL HAVEN'T GOTTEN a call back.

Yesterday while driving to an appointment, I again called to try and report my frustration and see what was happening to Garmin. I talked to a lower level Customer "No-Service" rep who did her best to apologize for what had happened. She assured me that her supervisor would be calling me back.

I'm still waiting and stand by my previous statement that

GARMIN OFFICIALLY SUCKS and I will not be purchasing or recommending Garmin to anyone who will listen.

You guys have to realize how many people I have convinced to buy Garmin over the years. Heck all my friends have Garmin in their airplanes partially based on my input. I pains me to see a good company messed up like this. I've had it. Buyer beware!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-18-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
You wont do much better with Lowrance as i waited months for a NEMA 2000 part that they had no problem shiping and billing me for hafe the needed parts while the rest was ? in asia someplace

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 09-18-2008

I understand that waiting for parts can happen, what can't happen is leaving the customer hanging without communication for months on end.

The kicker is no call backs when requested, NOT ONE!!!!!

They have my e-mail address, they have my phone number, but not one phone call or contact and I have never been combative or abusive (not my style as I've been on the receiving end of those calls in my business).