Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-19-2008
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
Holding Tank Vent Filters

In the last three years, I've replaced the holding tank, head, macerator pump and all hoses. Of late, the only real aroma I've had to deal with is when the head is flushed. The smell that comes through the vent wafts aft and is strongest in the cockpit, embarassing to the head user, to say the least. Sealand (and others) market vent filters that they claim will eliminate this particular aroma. Has anyone any experience with these?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2008

petegingras is on a distinguished road
I can attest to the vent filters effectiveness. Although the charcoal will have to be replenished annually, (the charcoal is readily available at the pet store same as you’d use to filter water in a fish tank) or you can replace the entire filter if you’re willing to shell out the $80 or so dollars annually.
Old 09-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IMHO, it isn't worth spending the money on the vent filter line, since it really is going to only make the problem worse. The problem is that you probably don't have sufficient ventilation for your holding tank, and adding a filter is going to make that worse, not better. The odor-causing bacteria are anaerobic, and if you increase the ventilation to the tank, it won't stink, since the good aerobic non-sulfide producing bacteria will multiply and the sulfide producing anaerobic bacteria will die off.

Another problem with stinking holding tanks is when you flush using seawater, since the seawater often contains small lifeforms that will die and decompose, adding to the smell...but that usually is more a problem in the hoses than the holding tank itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-19-2008
Senior Mumble

Thanks. I flush with fresh water, so that's not the issue. I've thought about increasing the vent hose size (currently 1/2" i.d.) and running two of them. One issue is how to attach the hose to the tank. There's no access port and I'm reluctant to add one -the fewer holes the better! So I can't put one of these in.

The tank is plastic, so I wouldn't think I could tap threads for one of these:

And it doesn't make sense to me to attach a 1" i.d. hose to a 1/2" opening.

Also, the screened vent to the outside would need to be replaced with something I have yet to find.

Any ideas would be appreciated. TIA
Old 09-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Before doing any of that, it might be worth checking the existing vent line to see if it is clogged. Wasps and other bugs love to build in the vent lines. Also, if you've ever over filled the holding tank, it could have less desireable materials clogging it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-19-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Before doing any of that, it might be worth checking the existing vent line to see if it is clogged. Wasps and other bugs love to build in the vent lines. Also, if you've ever over filled the holding tank, it could have less desireable materials clogging it.
I have had this problem a lot. My tank is small, and the vent is right over the tapered end of the tank. Even if I didn't overfill that tank a spirited sail seems to be enough to clog the tube. I have made it a routine to reverse flush the vent line every time I pump out. This seems to be working so far... Use some old battery cable or similar stiff wire to clear any obstructions. Yummy...
Old 09-19-2008
Senior Mumble

How do you reverse flush the vent line? Do you just push a hose over the vent? On Pokey, the vent itself is a screened doohickey that protrudes from the hull below the rub strake. We usually avail ourselves of a pumpout boat or pump overboard and are hardly ever at a dock. (We keep her on a mooring.) Just wondering. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbondy View Post
How do you reverse flush the vent line? Do you just push a hose over the vent?
That is exactly what I do. I stick a chunk of vinyl tube over the end of the garden hose and stick it over the vent while pumping out. Seems to do the trick, but just make sure everything is hose clamped! That said, if you really got a good hookup there is a risk of pressuring the holding tank and other associated fittings not normally under pressure so be careful.
Old 09-19-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I doubt the vent alone is going to be enough to get fresh air into the tank unless the hose run is REALLY short. There are systems on the market that supply a small flow of fresh air to the tank. That seems to me the only way to insure growth of aerobic bacteria.
Old 09-19-2008

travler37 is on a distinguished road
Cool Add This

The basic problem is not enough aerobic bacteria.
Try Home depot or another such store for HOME septic tank treatment.Add this to your holding tank and vent line.Worked for me.
Mark

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.