Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-19-2008

ken2178 is on a distinguished road
Catalina 22 Pivot Pin

Have done some work on our C22 retractable keel and was wondering if anyone has had any experience replacing the keel pivot pin on your own? Is this a do-it yourself project or do you need to take it to a boatyard? We've done a few replacements ourselves--turning ball, keel cable, replacing the winch, etc, but can't tell if the pivot pin is do-able by ourselves.
We know we'd need to build some kind of support sled, etc, but we're afraid of putting work into it, and then not being able to get the old pin out. Any suggestions????
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2008

VASailor10 is on a distinguished road
I have an 1983 Catalina 22. The previous owners replaced the entire keel, and when I purchased the boat a VCR tape came with the boat titled "Replacing the keel" or something like that. I believe you can purchase the same video from Catalinadirect.com. I have not watched the video yet however I am pretty sure the owners themselves did all the work, and I have not had any problems with the keel.

-Spencer
Old 09-20-2008
Junior Birdman

Iflyka200s is on a distinguished road
It's not hard but the keel does weigh 550 lbs so be careful.

google Catalina 22 and lots of real specific places will show up, also the C-22 owners group are a bunch of nice people.

Good Luck & be careful!
Old 09-20-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Practical Sailor is doing a series on restoring a C22. Last month, I believe, they had a detailed article on replacing the pivot pin and holders.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 09-20-2008

ken2178 is on a distinguished road
I have the Refinishing the C-22 Swing Keelvideo. But, it says "If the pin is warn or bent, it is a major but do'able fix requiring the help of a machine shop." It doesn't go in to any detail on any of the pivot pin steps such as how to get out the old pin, or how to install the new pin. I think I can use the video's instructions to remove the keel, but I still don't know how to replace the pivot pin. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 09-20-2008

saildork is on a distinguished road
C22 Pivot Pin

Ken,

I recently dropped the keel out of my 1983 C22 using the guidance of the video from Catalina Direct. I'm refairing the keel and decided to replace the keel hanger assembly, pin, cable, everything. The pivot pin itself comes out easily when you drop the keel from the trunk. (The keel rotates on the pin when you raise and lower it while sailing, so it is not attached to the keel as if they were one unit.) The problem you might face is that the pin or the hole in the keel where the pin fits, or both, might be worn. Mine were, so when I bought the new pin from Catalina Direct, I also bought the bushing they offer. I then took the keel, bushing, and pin to a machine shop where they drilled out the hole in the keel and pressed in the bushing. Now the pin will rotate without the slop that was present before.

If you plan to drop the keel out of your boat, be sure to build the sled stoutly and don't have the boat so high that the keel falls onto the sled. It will break the sled and make the job of getting that 550# pig out from under your boat a real challenge. Don't ask me how I know this.

Pat Lindsay
s/v 'Stargazer'
Old 09-22-2008

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
I did the keel on my C22. I bought a $50 floor jack on wheels first. I welded up a simple U bracket that fit in the hole on the floor jack swivel which made handling the keel a piece of cake. Not only did I lift the keel I also lifted the boat with it to take the trailer out from under, and put it back again. I used it in my shed to lift and flip the keel several time as I worked on it. I used it to lift one end of the keel and back my van under it. I placed a piece of pipe on the van floor as a roller, then lifted the other end with the jack and rolled the keel into the van. Unloaded it in my shed the same way. I put the keel back on the boat with it. Did it all safely, with no one helping me at any time!

I have a quick cheap fix for the enlarged keel pivot pin hole. Lay the keel on it's side. Place a piece of waxed 3/4" PVC pipe through the hole in the location where the pin hole belongs. Use putty (electricians duxseal works well) on the bottom side of the keel to hold the PVC pipe in place and seal the hole around it. Pour a glass filled epoxy mixture around the PVC pipe level with the top side of the keel. Once it has set completely, hammer the short piece of PVC out. This leaves you a pin hole with a diameter of 1.050" which is perfect to allow some slop so that the pin and brackets don't see any bending load from the keel, only. They only hold up the weight of the keel.

So maybe it doesn't last forever, it only cost $20, took about an hour, and can be redone as often as needed.
Old 09-22-2008
Spam, Food of the Seagods

Gryzio is on a distinguished road
Maybe this help.
Dumbo 1975 Catalina 22 Pop top, swing keel :: Keel Project

I came back to add a few which I hope you already have.
Catalina Direct: Welcome to Catalina Direct Online

Catalina Direct: Pivot Assy
Catalina Direct: Keel Zinc Set for Cast Iron Keel

Also; as Banshi mentions below me, think, think and think safety. This a hand smashing, foot breaking, body squashing SOB.
Be very sure the boat is supported well and stable. I push around on things I have on stands and jacks before I climb under.

Last edited by Gryzio; 09-23-2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Add links and safety note.
Old 09-23-2008

Banshi is on a distinguished road
Just be thankful you have a pig instead of the hog that comes with the Chrysler 22 which is a 2 1/2 " thick piece of cast iron wieghing in at nearly 900 lb's. Either one can cut a limb clean off if not handled properly.
Old 09-24-2008

saildork is on a distinguished road
GaryHLucas,

I like your idea for the modified floor-jack...sounds like alot less hassle when working with the boat and keel than I have faced. But I can't visualize what you did. Can you post a picture or something?

Pat