Is AC power really needed on a boat that never sees a dock? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-23-2008

nikolajsen is on a distinguished road
i have a friend with a 32' junk rigged schooner, steel hull, ocean going vessel, been all over, and he cruises with only 12v, as would I if one day we decide to have electricity at all.

shore power? a few solar panels tops off all the junks batteries year round at the marina, even here in the pacific NW.

we think we need much, much more than we really do. this is one of the small issues the planet currently is struggling with.

cheers, jan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2008

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Very good advice. Too many people think everything is a must have when in reality it's just fluff.

When I sat up my first bigger boat I had a humongous list of MUST-HAVE items, and after getting everything set up, figured out that if they didn't work, I didn't miss them.

I don't have AC on my current boat, no need for it and don't miss it in the least. If the next owner wants it, he'll figure out where he can get it.

The reason to set up a boat is for your own enjoyment, if you want it or need it, install it, if not, don't worry about what the next owner wants.
Going by all the "d&*^ PO" comments on the boards, no-one is able to install anything correctly, and they'll have to upgrade it anyway, so save them the trouble and let them start from scratch.

Ken.
Old 09-23-2008

nikolajsen is on a distinguished road
there you go!

jan
Old 09-23-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Sure, if you don't have an AC system installed and you don't need one, then you'd be silly to fit one.

The point in this case is: If you've already got a shorepower inlet + wiring + outlet(s) + holes in cabin for switches and wires, you might as well rip out all of the old crap and install a bare-bones AC system which is what has been proposed here. This will be both useful on occasion, and likely increase the price of the boat when sold.

Patching up holes left by an old AC system is never easy, pretty or unmistakeable.

Cameron
Old 09-23-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Well ive got holes where outlets used to be, but the outlets went into the trash as did the wires. I got a used Newmar switch panel that has both AC/DC on it, so i will probley put in at least 1 or 2 outlets somewhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Old 09-23-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
If i understand there is no motor ?

Just wondering do you move the boat buy sail only ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 09-24-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Ive got a bracket on the back of the boat for an outboard. You can see it in my sig pic. Ive got a 9.9 longshaft motor that i use on it right now, but used to have a 40hp Evinrude on there. Or if i dont have the outboard on the boat, ill use my skiff tied along side to move it.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Old 09-24-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
DistantStar,
Presumably you're going to want a live AC recepticle for power tools when you work on your boat. Or is everything cordless these days?
Old 09-24-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Distant Star-
If you don't use AC, you don't need AC, and if you have no inverter hardwired into the boat, you don't need to provision AC outlets at all. On the other hand, the resale and convenience points are real, and the cost of doing a minimal AC installation--and doing it right--isn't going to add much to THAT monster project.
You can certainly stick an AC inlet (with GFI as close to it as possible) in the cockpit somewhere. Then just run one good run to a double breaker at your electrical panel (and many boats just add a separate AC breaker panel, so it can' t be confused with the DC breakers at all) with one good double socket next to that. That's "good enough" and clean and cheap and simple, you can always run an extra leg forward from there when and if you want to, or if you want to gussy it up to sell it sometime in the future.
Or, simply leave that little extra space next to the breaker panel, and know that if you change your mind, you can come back to add AC.

I feel the same way: On a mooring, don't need it. On the hard or an overnight transient dock? Extension cord. "Good enough for gummint work". Stick the AC on the back of the ToDo List, wait till you get down that far.
Old 09-24-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I feel the same way: On a mooring, don't need it. On the hard or an overnight transient dock? Extension cord. "Good enough for gummint work". Stick the AC on the back of the ToDo List, wait till you get down that far.
Sure, if you don't already have some form of AC system installing one is probably not high priority on the ToDo list, but connecting up the shorepower whilst on the hard and using your AC outlets for power tools is not only neater and more convenient, it could also save your life.

Extension cords down hatches and companion-ways can be serious trip and fire hazards and can be lethal if accidentally cut through..

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.