Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-21-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Is AC power really needed on a boat that never sees a dock?

Im redoing the wiring in the boat since most of it is shot. The boat stays at anchor all the time and never gets hooked into shorepower. Ive already started removing the old wiring and will be working on the rewire soon. I just don't see a need for 120v on the boat anymore. If i only do the 12v system, ill save alot of money on the rewire.

Heres the reason for rewiring the boat.

How the boat hasn't burnt to the waterline, i don't know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I would keep at least some AC capability. Maybe you don't really need an outlet in every cabin, but having at least one AC outlet on board is very useful. Also, it's good to have the ability to hardwire a battery charger.

Yeah, you don't ever plug into shorepower, but that may change some day. Or you may want/need to sell the boat at some point -- shorepower is a big selling point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-21-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
I agree with JRP and suggest simplifying it heaps..

Buy a small Aqua-Signal or similar AC power panel (the smallest you can get) and connect one outlet and maybe the battery charger to it - nothing else. At least that way if you ever find yourself at a dock with shore-power you have some use for it.
Old 09-21-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
I figured i would leave my shorepower inlet and run it to a breaker and an outlet near the batteries for a charger. I don't have an inboard motor, so ill be putting my batteries where the fuel tank used to live under the cockpit. As of right now, the only time there is 120v on the boat is when ive got the genny out there and running.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Old 09-21-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
That sounds to me like a good plan..

Make sure you use a GFI (earth leakage) breaker that disconnects both active and neutral and install it as far as practical from the DC power panel and wiring (ie. on the opposite side of the cabin if you can). Connect the outlet earth directly to the shorepower inlet earth.

Most of the small AC power panels have an indicating light or similar to show that power is on - a helpful safety feature especially if you don't usually use shorepower - and are pretty easy to mount.

Good luck with your project!

Cameron
Old 09-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The AC panel I'd recommend is this one:

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-22-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Only...

Quote:
Is AC power really needed on a boat that never sees a dock?

Only for future re-sale. If you don't care about that then it's entirely up to you if you'd like to get rid of it.

If you never, ever have a need for using an inverter and 120V on board than go for it but if you see any potential need for 120v, even for a few minutes to run a vacuum or something, then I'd say keep it..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 09-22-2008
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Vitesse473 is on a distinguished road
SV - You didn't really state how you use the boat, so tough to suggest AC or not. We've been discussing small generators on other threads, so ultimately if you use the boat for long weekends or something, you could simply bring a 1000watt generator and atleast have the ability to brew some coffee; with a low wattage coffee maker, of course. Or, since you are looking to save money now, simply wait awhile and then add a small inverter like a Xantrex, which comes with two AC plugs.

Either way, yes, you can live without AC.
Old 09-22-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I'd have to agree with having at least a basic AC system of shorepower receptacle to breaker panel.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 09-22-2008

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36
Only for future re-sale.
That's what I'm thinking. When the day comes that you want to sell it, not have any AC power on-board at all means you have to find just the right buyer, which means a longer time to sell and probably a significantly lower price.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.