Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-03-2008

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
I'd like a copy.

BTW - camaraderie gave the the answer. Once I put my radio in "open dial mode" it's much easier to program.

I have another question. Should I expect to have good reception and transmission capabilities while sitting in my slip, or do the other masts, etc which are close by cause interference?

Also, would anyone be interested in a brief chat via SSB so I can test my radio operation? I'm near Annapolis, - I'd be looking to chat with someone within a few hundred miles.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2008

windward54 is on a distinguished road
Sailingdog, you should have it by now. There is no problem sharing it.

And SteveInMD, I seem to get better performance away from the dock. However, on the 20 meter ham band, I have had contacts and good signal reports from a couple of thousand miles away, even though conditions are not the best right now. And this while tied up at the dock. If you don't have your general license, I would encourage you to get it. There are a lot more hams out there than there are boats equipped with SSB. They all love to talk and most get a kick out of talking to a ham on a boat.

Last edited by windward54; 10-03-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
At work, will check when I get home... and will post a link to it when I get a chance. Thanks windward.

Here's the LIST.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 10-03-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2008

Windward - I just have my restricted op. license now, but I think I will pursue the ham license. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2008

No problem. If you want to give a shout out to the west coast some time, let me know. The call signs are WDE4472 and KI6CZP.
Old 10-04-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Steve...my experience is that sitting in a marina greatly diminishes TX and somewhat diminishes RX. Maybe Trayfors or one of the other gurus can explain it...all I have is my experience.
Old 10-04-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Both transmission and reception are usually adversely affected when operating in a marina. This is due to several factors, including all the other boats and structures which can deflect and/or absorb signals, and to the profusion of radio frequency interference (RFI) sources nearby.

The structures nearby (mainly other boats, particularly sailboats with metal masts and standing rigging, but also bridges, gangplanks, docks, pilings, shoreline features, etc.) will affect both the transmission of signals from your boat and the reception of incoming signals.

However, by far the worst problem in regard to reception of HF signals in a marina are the hundreds of RFI sources nearby, including those on your own boat, on the docks, and on other nearby boats. From a HF radio's point of view, marinas are very noisy locations!

Biggest offenders are digital devices (digital voltmeters, inverters, chargers) but also refrigerators, alternators, leakages from poor electrical connections, electric motors, computers, etc., etc. Tracking these down can be a real bear. And, often as not, the interference from other boats and from the docks...which you can't do much if anything about...is the real problem.

Nevertheless, if you track down the worst offenders on your own boat AND if you have a good installation AND if you are a competent radio operator you most certainly CAN make good radio contacts from your marina. This is true regardless of your location in the water or hauled out.

Hams like to pride themselves on being able to make successful contacts using low power under adverse conditions. Some low-power fanciers, "QRP enthusiasts", regularly make transAtlantic contacts using only 5 watts or less and wire antennas. I have done so for many years both from my boat and from land-based locations. This takes a bit more skill, but is something worth practicing against the time when you really might need to make a SSB contact under less than ideal conditions.

Bill
Old 10-04-2008

Ham license

I took a few online practice test for my technical level ham license. I (just barely) passed the tests, but feel it would be smart to actually study first. Can anyone recommend a good book, or website to study from? The website I was using didn't tell me the correct answer when I got one wrong.

Do I need to aim high than the technical level to get started?
Old 10-04-2008

To use almost all of the HF capacity on the ICOM M802, you'll need to get your General ticket. A tech license only gives you access to a little part of the 10 meter band. Regardless, you need to pass the Tech test first, as the FCC won't allow you to just take the General test. Gordon West sells books and test prep materials on his website. It is funny, but you will find that the prep books have all the questions and answers. The test will be 35 questions taken from the pool of about 600 questions. And no more Morse code test anymore. But don't underestimate the value of taking a class. I could have passed the test without it, but wouldn't have learned anything.
Old 05-21-2009

Well, it took me a while to get around to it but I did get my general ham license (KB3SVB). I also set up a IC-718 at home to help me learn the ropes. I have a few more questions about the IC-M802 on my boat. Does the M802 have an SWR meter? Do I need to be concerned about SWR on my boat radio just as on my 718 rig? Can I adjust the mic gain on the M802? I do have the manual but the M802 manual seems very poorly written to me.