SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   stainless plate (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/47340-stainless-plate.html)

xort 09-22-2008 08:42 AM

stainless plate

I need to add a stainless plate where my chain is rubbing on my teak bow pulpit. Anybody have good sources for cheap, but good quality, stainless bar stock? It will need to be finished on the edges.
I have some flexability on dimensions

sailingdog 09-22-2008 09:28 AM

Xort-

There's a place that not only sells the material but will machine it to your specifications at a fairly reasonable price. Might be easier than trying to make something up yourself. Try HERE.

cockeyedbob 09-22-2008 11:17 AM

XORT

IF you feel comfortable with doing the work yourself, you might check local scrap yards ... mine sells stainless, for $1.75/lb regardless of type ... I visit regularly, pick through the stock, and purchase what I need or might need.

xort 09-22-2008 12:38 PM

Plain flat bar stock will suffice, all that will need to be done is finish the two cut ends. Not sure what finishing stainless entails, I don't have metal working tools.

capngregg 09-22-2008 12:54 PM

This is one of my sources for metal. www.metalsupermarkets.com
They usually have everything in stock at pretty reasonable prices and they have several locations around the country.

Good Luck

hellosailor 09-22-2008 12:57 PM

I'd ask local scrap yards or stainless welding shops first, since what they want for a piece of bar stock scrap may be less than the SHIPPING cost of mail ordering it.

A fast web search will find many reasonable web vendors--but shipping and handling can't be avoided.

sailboy21 09-22-2008 01:05 PM

onlinemetals.com look for them on Amazon.com too. I have had good experiences with them, and they answer the phone! Very nice to deal with.

RAGTIMEDON 09-22-2008 01:27 PM

If you are willing to put some sweat into it, a scrap yard is your cheapest source. Take a magnet with you! once you find and purchase a small piece of scrap you can cut it and/or finish it with a Dremel tool. A dremel tool is one of the most versatile tools on a boat for small jobs; I won't leave home without it!

Stillraining 09-22-2008 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you have a boat Railing shop in town they will have the ability to help you with scraps,shaping, welding, drilling whatever.

Strange this is comming up I am designing an item for my boat as well.

Thought this apropriate for post # 2001

For a guy who 9 months ago thought the web forms were for losers and weirdos this has pretty much been and Odyssey..One that I can truly say Iv come to enjoy and have found some good people and Im quite certain several life long friendships.

I give you Hal9000..Hes taken over...just ask my wife...;)

speciald 09-22-2008 01:44 PM

I used a piece of Starboard - easier to cup and shape and nowhere near as hot underfoot.