Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
Bought a project boat: South Coast 22 '76

Well everyone, winter is coming and I needed something to do in the cold weather. I hate the cold even though we havent seen snow here since 1993.

The not so good:
The boat isnt in to bad of shape. She is very dirty and needs cleaning then I plan on repainting the whole thing, inside and out. The hull is in good shape just some scratches here and there that can be repaired easily. The topsides are pretty good but there is some cracking in quite a few places.I plan on repainting the topsides and figure just some epoxy work would hopefully do the job. I plan on rebeding most if not all the deck hardware. The cabin isnt in to great of condition and since I am a carpenter and a furniture maker I figured I would just rip it all out and play with the layout. The trailer isnt to bad I just need to sandblast it, paint, repack bearings, already put on new tires.

Now the good:
The best thing about the boat I believe are the sails. It has the main and jib, not sure the size of the jib I guess I will learn how to measure it.(any tips?) It came with a spinaker also. All the sails look to be in good condition. I didnt lay them out but in the bags they looked clean and pretty crisp. The spinaker looks the best, but I will lay them out and get some pictures in the next few days.
It came with a Chrysler 7.5 I believe it is. It ran last time the PO tried to crank it so I think it is fine. I know I should have tried to crank it before purchasing but the owner was a long time family freind so he seemed trustworthy.
The rudder mast and boom are all there and in good condition, although I will probably refinish the rudder.

The boat has only one minor soft spot and it is on the starboard side around the cockpit. Hard to describe where but I will add pictures soon.

I have a website ready to document all of my progress with photos and possibly videos. This is not my first refit(second one) but this will be my first time painting the cabin, topsides, and hull. So I will probably be asking a good bit of questions about that.

The first thing I ask is what order should I do all of this in? I believe that is the first questions I should be asking.

Thanks Everyone! Should be fun!
EvelynL likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2008

sander06 is on a distinguished road
You might want to check out...

The Plastic Classic Forum :: Index

if you haven't already.
EvelynL likes this.
Old 09-24-2008
Shaken-not Stirred

capngregg is on a distinguished road
Cool

I own a '71 Southcoast 22 (S/N 818) (among other boats) and I am just finishing a complete refit. There is a SouthCoast owner's website hosted on MSN and it is named South Coast Sailor Talk.

There are tons of pics over there and a lot of really good folks so you can compare what you've got to some of the real basket cases that have been brought back to life.

I think mine had every conceivable problem that a boat can have but that's one of the reasons I chose to refit it. Not only is it a great way to spend time (if you're into seemingly endless work) but in the end you will have a great little trailer sailer that is virtually "NEW". It's very easy to put more money into it than it could ever be sold for but if you're like many people that take on this kind of project, it's the pride in craftsmanship that makes them excellent project boats and worth doing.

I've got tons of pics I still need to post over there (AUSTERE is my boat) and I'll get them up soon. As for the sequence of work before you paint anything you'll need to strip all the fittings, windows, etc. of course and do all the prep work/mods and repairs to the structure. Reserve a window of opportunity for the exterior paint work since it is probably the most sensitive project weather wise.

Toward the end of the project I painted the hull, decks and only primed the cockpit since I knew I would still be climbing in and out of the boat a lot to complete interior details like final wiring and finish wood work in the cabin. Once the cockpit is finish painted I can reinstall and bed the Genoa tracks, winches and so on. (all of mine are mounted on the cockpit gunwales) As I installed and bedded the mast tabernacle and custom base plate (with stand up blocks) I also installed the turning blocks on the coach roof along with fairleads for the working jib and the necessary camcleats, etc. for the halyards and sheets that are all run to cockpit. All these items get bedded in of course at that time as you work aft.

I also added an 8 inch diameter access plate at the back of the cockpit (below the data plate) so I could more easily access the wiring conduit, rudder gudgeon attach bolts, outboard motor bracket bolts and the associated backup plates for everything. (and to inspect things back there periodically) Cockpit aft drains were also installed. (I highly recommend this mod)

The refurbished swing keel fin will be the very last thing that gets installed, then the boat will go back on the trailer. (I need to reconfigure the bunks too)

These are fun project boats since you can modify them to your hearts content! PM me anytime you want to discuss something with the Southcoast. I've got pics, measurements and drawings for just about everything including the mods I did.

Have fun!!
EvelynL likes this.
Old 09-24-2008
not-so-old salt

tonybinTX is on a distinguished road
There's a large fleet of SC21's at Austin Yacht Club. If you look at their site http://www.austinyachtclub.org, they put out a monthly newsletter and Bruce MacDonald has been doing a monthly article on SC21 repairs.
Old 09-24-2008
Montgomery 17

Thanks sander, I will definately check that site out, looks helpful.

Wow gregg, Im glad someone on this forum has taken on this project lately. I will probably be asking you a few questions, thank you for speaking up and letting me know.

THe weather and painting I think is something I need to address soon. I live in a not to cold climate so maybe it will not be as hard as am thinking. What is the lowest temperature I would want to be painting at? If it is pretty high then I probably need to get on the ball and get the hull and topsides ready to paint.

Something else I need to be thinking about is how to build some stands or saw horses for the boat to sit on while I paint it. Did you happen to do this gregg? Or did you just have some real stands?

I am going to be doing all the work under a covered carport. It is not full closed in but mainly just covered if that has any effect on painting and the temperature.

I may be PMing you gregg soon, thank you for the willingness to help! (everyone else also)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-24-2008
Montgomery 17

I found the msn Sailor Talk about the SC 22 prior to purchasing the boat. I looked at every pitcure on there to figure out if I wanted the boat or not and it really helped me in my decision.

Old 09-25-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Perit- I have also owned a SC22, 1976 #`1442. Mine was in a similar condition to what you describe. I did a rebuild (light version) on mine. stripping interior and re-design / re-build. I did not paint that boat as I was able to rehab the gelcoat and get her looking nice.

If you are going to paint the entire boat I would look at replacing the windows while they are out. This is the most common cause of leaks and problems in the SC22's. You won't want to do al that work to the interior if the windows are going to leak and ruin it all.

I'd be happy to answer any question that I can to help you along with this.
EvelynL likes this.
Old 09-25-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Be careful using a SC21 website as a resourse. The 21 and the 22 are VERY different boats.
Old 09-25-2008
Montgomery 17

T34C Thanks for the advice about the windows.

You said you were able to rehab the gelcoat? I wonder if I may be able to that also? I am washing the boat today and I am going to post some pics of it and I will get some close ups of the crazing. I am not sure much you can rehab but it may be worth considering.

Thank You

Old 09-25-2008
Montgomery 17

Here are some pictures of the boat!

Very dirty, I just washed it though and I will get those pics up here soon. Check out my website in my signature for some more information and pictures.