SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   More comfortable sleeping? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/47405-more-comfortable-sleeping.html)

jmcgee 09-23-2008 08:39 PM

More comfortable sleeping?

Hey Folks,
The v-berth cushions in our Catalina 30 leave a little something to be desired when it comes to a good night's sleep.

We're going to the Annapolis show in a couple of weeks and we've seen products there before - the "tufted topper", inner spring mattresses, memory foam mattresses and plastic spring systems that are supposed to make your stock cushions feel like a real mattress.

What's your experience for the best night's sleep? What have you tried/purchased and was it worth the price?

Also any thoughts on a small cabin heaters? We'll be staying on the boat on and off through the end of December.

Thanks,
Jim & Kathy McGee
95 Catalina 30 Goin' Coastal
94 Catalina 22 Island Time
Long Beach Island, NJ

erps 09-23-2008 09:09 PM

We had a little kerosene wall mounted stove on a previous boat that took the chill off a 28 footer, but it really didn't get it up to room temperature in the winter time. Before that, I made a little wood stove that burned presto logs that fit in a companion way board. That's when we were really poor. It just barely took the chill off too. You'll want something that's vented outside for moisture control.

As far as mattress comfort, we bought one of those memory foam toppers and cut it to fit the last two boats we've had. Improved our sleep quality immensely, but it may be a little warm if your cruising area is hot.

mgmhead 09-23-2008 09:37 PM

Bought the Froli system for our v-birth last year at the Annapolis Boat Show and we love it.

drlove 09-23-2008 09:46 PM

Several folks at my marina have bought memory foam mattress toppers (I believe they are 3 inch) from Wal-Mart and cut them in the shape of their v-berth. Then you put an altered mattress cover or fitted sheet shaped for the v-berth over it. Reports have been favorable and this is a very cheap alternative to buying an expensive new mattress.

johnshasteen 09-23-2008 09:53 PM

When we re-did the cushions on Paloma about 8 or 9 years ago, we replaced the vee-birth foam with three layers, 3 inches of closed-cell foam, then 1 inch softer foam and 1 inch of egg shell foam. Reasonable cost and sleeps as well as the expensive boat show mattresses.

labatt 09-23-2008 10:10 PM

We went to a local mattress and foam company, bought a sheet of 3" memory foam, and our sleep has never been better. We placed this on top of our normal cushions on our V-Berth. Fairly inexpensive and easy to do. Make sure you get high quality dense foam though... it's more expensive than the cheap stuff, but not overly expensive.

Valiente 09-24-2008 12:40 AM

From all I've heard, the Froli system is highly recommended, plus memory foam glued to closed-cell and topped with fitted sheets, plus a vent system to keep the sleep breath from turning into rain (I have literally been woken up by drips when we cruise in the colder part of the fall).

sailboy21 09-24-2008 01:01 AM

On the cheap: Go to walmart and get the queen size "memory foam" mattress and cut it to size. It is really 6" of regular foam with 2" memory foam, but all of my guest keep saying it is the best.

Maine Sail 09-24-2008 07:29 AM

I'll third..

I'll third the Wal*Mart memory foam route! Also you NEED a mattress pad!! A can;t stress enough that a good mattress pad is a MUST!! Sheet's alone DO NOT cut it!!

Buy a good quality king size mattress pad, usually queens are not wide enough but do measure, and then template your v-berth and take the template to a seamstress. They will cut and re-sew the mattress pad and a fitted sheet to your v-berth. I think we paid about $35.00 (on sale Bed Bath & beyond) for a very nice quality mattress pad and $20.00 for sewing. We also had her re-cut and sew the fitted sheet, which is a 400 thread count. Pure COMFORT and under $150.00 for all of it..

It's not our home Tempurpedic but damn close. Also the mattress pad naturally breaths and has "loft" so that body moisture can dry off during the day. No more clamy feeling v-berth.

Oh one last thing. Buy some of those ventilation "square shaped tiles" sold at West Marine, cut them to shape and assemble them to fit under your v-berth cusions for even more air circulation!! Sleeping comfort is a MUST!!

MIKEMCKEE 09-24-2008 01:15 PM

Jim,
I was able to obtain a set of memory foam toppers from a carpet flooring pad company a few years back to use on my Irwin 37CC. I couldn't have been happier about it. There were about 6 other boat's in the marina that I was able to hook up also, one boat owner had a bad back and he just couldn't go sailing anymore, but after he had the memory foam he was able to take a long awaited trip for a week or so and he didn't have any problems.
The one thing I would make sure of is that the foam topper is a true memory foam and not just a slab of regular foem. I also have a mattress pad to top off the pad's.
To cut the pad, use a really sharp knife, another boat owner tried using large sizzors and the pad had really jagged edges.

Good Luck,

Mike
s/v Blue Bayou