Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-25-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Sorry K1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
Why would anyone say something like that implying I don't know what I'm talking about?
I've lived in New England for 61 years (so far), most of which as a boater, so I am not "clear" how I can not "clearly" have any experience... Perhaps you can see the snow in the picture?

Back to the issue -

The boom tent shown has a connector to cover the deck fwd but with the dinghy there, the surface area remaining is negligible and in 40+ years (with various boats), so far, so good... no damage from condensation or anything else and, in this case, the deck (non skid) is Awlgrip, as is the topside, so I am particularly keen on proper covering.

As a practical matter, it is quite difficult to completely insulate a boat from moisture as thoroughly enclosing it so as to preclude ventilation only serves to promote condensation, both within the boat as well as it's exterior. The Awlgrip serves to complicate the equation as it is essential it has ventilation space.
K1,

Sorry my bad. I should know by now never assume!! I'm such a schmuck.. I checked your profile and it did not list a location. I then clicked your photo and got an error message. It worked this time and I see you are from RI and I see the snow. When you said boom tent that is NOT what I envisioned. That is about a 70-80% cover! I pictured a 15-20% cover only over the cockpit and some of the cabin..

I guess there is a difference between Maine and RI weather. Up here with a dark green hull if you don't cover the decks the temp swings from day to night and the solar gain on a dark hull will create actual precipitation inside boats with snow on decks. I looked at an Ericson 38 three years ago that was a virtual science experiment and it was literally snowing inside in it's own micro environement. Annie Gray my broker had never seen it snow in a boat and I had not either. i have seen it snow in my tents during winter expiditions but that was my first experience with snow inside a boat.

She had over two and a halff feet of snow on decks at a constant 32f. The the sun would come up and heat the top sides warming the interior into the 40's or even 50's while the deck was still at 32 degrees.. To make a long story short it was for sale and this was the first year it was uncovered. By April, whe I looked at it, the boat and iterior wood work was severly damaged and water stained. The foam backed headliner was so saturated with condensation that it colapsed and blew out zipers in some areas...

Now I'm sure it did not help that the boat sat facing SE near the waters edge and saw early morning sun on the hull after very cold evening temps

You're boom tent covers a lot but and I'm sure works fine with the weateher you guys see. It is very rare to see a boat up here without full coverage but by the time you hit MA some actually sit uncovered.

Our 2005 Catalina 310 sat uncovered at Eastern Yacht Sales in Hingham and it did condensate when snow was on deck. Once we closed the deal I paid to have it covered for four months.

If your decks are Awlgrip it's not a good idea to let snow sit directly on it. If you can, try to brush it off the foredecks. For short durations with dry outs in between you'll be fine..It's really much worse with deep snow as the hydraulic pressure from the weight of the snow can force moisture through teh paint causing blisters and bubles.

I was guessing you were from SC or somewher that never sees snow and you had a small boom tent.. Sorry for teh confusion.

P.S. You might consider updating your profile...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 10-25-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
Now that you ask, I looked in my boat files and it was Thurston (in RI)

Neil Thurston does very good work!! He's one of the good guys..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-25-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
he just priced a dodger for me about $2000 for dodger & new frame. is this reasonable. never bought a dodger before.
Old 10-25-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchevron View Post
he just priced a dodger for me about $2000 for dodger & new frame. is this reasonable. never bought a dodger before.
Can you give me the specs? It's hard to tell without knowing what he quoted as there are soooo many options with dodgers..

Old 10-25-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
FWIW my boat's winter cover is a couple of large tarps over a frame made of EMT tubing (I'll probably use sched. 40 plastic tubes next). It ain't pretty but hopefully will keep the precipitation out (though I bought presumably heavy duty tarps online and they turned out to be kinda mediocre).
Old 10-25-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Wow! I cannot imagine not covering the whole boat here in Michigan. I've done without and inevitably ended up with damage due to my negligence. The freeze thaw cycle will find any deficiencies in watertight integrity and make them into a more serious problem. I really don't want to get into the bone headed decision that led to my leaving the boat uncovered last year for a good portion of the winter. The money spent this spring was nothing as compared to the amount of time I spent for such laziness and stupidity. "Just a little rain" has a way of changing into "aw shucks" or maybe something a bit stronger. My hair hurts thinking about it.
Old 10-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Brak-

Depending on where you live, it might be better to stick to the EMT, since the PVC Sched 40 pipe gets a bit brittle in cold temperatures in my experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
FWIW my boat's winter cover is a couple of large tarps over a frame made of EMT tubing (I'll probably use sched. 40 plastic tubes next). It ain't pretty but hopefully will keep the precipitation out (though I bought presumably heavy duty tarps online and they turned out to be kinda mediocre).

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-25-2008
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Brak-

Depending on where you live, it might be better to stick to the EMT, since the PVC Sched 40 pipe gets a bit brittle in cold temperatures in my experience.
I am on Chesapeake, it is not cold enough for that around here. I used 3/4" EMT previously but it is a bit tough to work with. I used 1/2" this year - easy to work with but not as sturdy.

Plus, with PVC there is a better variety of connectors - for example there is a 4 way socket, so I can easily make connections on top of arches for the forward-back rib, there are angles etc.

Anyway, I am not set on that - gotta go through this winter first.
Old 10-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Oh, so you don't have a real winter... just a bit of slightly cooler weather...
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
I am on Chesapeake, it is not cold enough for that around here. I used 3/4" EMT previously but it is a bit tough to work with. I used 1/2" this year - easy to work with but not as sturdy.

Plus, with PVC there is a better variety of connectors - for example there is a 4 way socket, so I can easily make connections on top of arches for the forward-back rib, there are angles etc.

Anyway, I am not set on that - gotta go through this winter first.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-25-2008
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Oh, so you don't have a real winter... just a bit of slightly cooler weather...
I know, I know. However - it occasionally gets frosty - my main concern is gelcoat. While in general in excellent shape (for 36 years old anyway) it does have cracks here and there - they are all tiny, but let the water get in there and freeze a few times, and it will be a much bigger problem. So - gotta cover anyway.

I am sure people up north have much more serious potential problems - I almost feel ashamed butting into this discussion