Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-26-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Last year made a frame of 4" PVC for the ridge, supported by 2" PVC vertical struts, then high-pressure sprinkler hose for the ribs. Used four tarps to cover her. The tarps did not work well, so this year we're trying a pool cover on the recommendation of a fellow club-member.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2008

scottyt is on a distinguished road
boy at this expense you would think pulling the mast and using an indoor boatel might be cheaper. of course i am right by the inner harbor and my boat will be wet all winter, just a few sweepings to get the snow off. i might need to make 5 trips, and the harbor has not frozen but once in the last 50 years
Old 10-26-2008

CapeAnnBristol is on a distinguished road
Is anyone able to post photos of their homemade pvc or emt structures? I'm planning to design and construct something along those lines and cover it with heavy duty tarps. Advise on good or bad online tarp vendors is also welcome.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeAnnBristol View Post
Is anyone able to post photos of their homemade pvc or emt structures? I'm planning to design and construct something along those lines and cover it with heavy duty tarps. Advise on good or bad online tarp vendors is also welcome.

Thanks
I don't doubt that you can find tarps on-line but in most areas you'll find someone selling them inexpensively. In my case, there's a discount tool outlet nearby that also serves as "tarp and glove world". As mentioned above, swimming pool companies will be able to tell you where to get large sized visqueen although I think a tarp will work better. A local roofer would be able to provide you with information on where to get large tarps.

There were photos of someone's emt structure here last year...he was a tube bending whiz! I assume you've seen my earlier link to how to build a pvc structure. There's no reason that structure has to be mounted on deck either; you could build the base frame work on the ground.

Be sure to buy a pvc tubing cutter of the ratcheting scissors type...it'll make things go inestimably faster. And label the various tubes and fittings....no, you won't remember where they go a year from now. (g)

You might also want to have a grommet making kit on hand; that way you can add holes to your tarp where they're needed. You can get quite a few years out of a tarp if it's not flapping around.

Last edited by sailaway21; 10-26-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-26-2008

Quote:
Is anyone able to post photos of their homemade pvc or emt structures?
Here ya go: Index of /misc/sailboat/Abracadabra/Tarping

This year I'm going to add a strap length-wise along the ribs on each side and cargo netting between the ribs to reduce sag in the cover.

Quote:
I'm planning to design and construct something along those lines and cover it with heavy duty tarps.
Tried that last year, despite the many recommendations against it. It did not work out well. Oddly enough, for all the reasons I saw it anti-recommended

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 10-26-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hamilton Marine has some pretty good tarps at reasonable prices...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
As mentioned above, swimming pool companies will be able to tell you where to get large sized visqueen although I think a tarp will work better.
As I mentioned earlier: A fellow club-member has found swimming pool covers to work nicely. We just ordered one 40' by 16', "medium" duty, for $88. He uses super-balls, short pieces of line with loops at each end and adjustable bungee cords to hold it down. He uses those foam blocks shrink-wrappers use to keep the lines from chafing the hull. He puts a line all around just under the rub rail and keeps that tight with a bungee, to keep the wind from getting under it and blowing it out.

Quote:
There were photos of someone's emt structure here last year...he was a tube bending whiz!
You're probably talking about TrueBlue. Here are the pictures: I designed and fabricated an EMT

And here's the thread, from last year, in which I found the link: Winter cover up

Quote:
You might also want to have a grommet making kit on hand; that way you can add holes to your tarp where they're needed.
If you use grommets, make sure to duct-tape the inside, or they'll do Evil Things to your hull, no matter how well you think your tarp/lines are tightened. Ask me how I know . Plus, grommets are prone to ripping out.

Better to use the super-ball method or grip clips.

Jim
Old 10-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
SEMIJIm-

Good point about taping over the grommets...they can do a job on the hull finish if you don't, and again... DON'T USE THE GROMMETS. They will tear out if you have the tarp tensioned properly. Use the superball and cord or grip clips...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
i used 1/2" emt last year to build a frame and bought some tarps from home depot. i used 3 tarps for my 30'er. one went from the stern to the mast on the port side, one from stern to mast on starboard, and one from mast to bow. with all the rigging, it wasn't a very tight fit around all the rigging but it probably kept out about 90% of the snow and worked pretty good.
Old 10-26-2008
Detachable member

wchevron is on a distinguished road
i used all the grommets on the tarps last year and didn't have a problem with any of them tearing out although there were some marks on the hull where they rubbed over the winter. those buffed out this spring but this year i'm going to cover them with something.