Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-26-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Uh, Jim? What are you placing the bungees through?
Old 10-26-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeAnnBristol View Post
Is anyone able to post photos of their homemade pvc or emt structures? I'm planning to design and construct something along those lines and cover it with heavy duty tarps. Advise on good or bad online tarp vendors is also welcome.

Thanks
I have three words for you regarding a cover for the North Shore (I'm guessing Cape Ann, MA)..

Pitch, pitch and more pitch! It is the single most important thing one must to in high snow load areas. The cover must be able to dump or spill the snow or it will collapse. We see quite a few of the gourmet custom made covers collapse because they don't have enough pitch to spill the snow..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
This is especially the case with WET NEW ENGLAND SNOW. The fluffy powdery stuff they get in Colorado isn't much of a problem, but the wet concrete like stuff we normally see in New England is a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I have three words for you regarding a cover for the North Shore (I'm guessing Cape Ann, MA)..

Pitch, pitch and more pitch! It is the single most important thing one must to in high snow load areas. The cover must be able to dump or spill the snow or it will collapse. We see quite a few of the gourmet custom made covers collapse because they don't have enough pitch to spill the snow..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Photos may help..

Notice the pitch and the lack of snow...

Just two boats away on the same day. Less pitch more snow.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-26-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
Uh, Jim? What are you placing the bungees through?
Not certain of what you mean. If you mean using the super-ball method: You make up short pieces of line with loops at each end. One end gathers tarp under the super-ball and the other end you use to hook the bungee. (I'm thinking maybe a buntline hitch for under the ball and a bowline for the bungee end?) The bungee hooks to opposing lines on each side of the boat. I'd make the lines long enough so the hooks were below the water-line, so you wouldn't have to worry about the bungee hooks marring your hull. Use the good-quality adjustable bungees from Home Depot or Lowe's. We used inexpensive bungee cords from Harbor Freight last year and they'd lost all their elasticity by mid-winter.

My fellow club-member that does this uses about a half-dozen of these per side on his J36 and he claims that it keeps everything tight.

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 10-26-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2008

preservedkillick is on a distinguished road
Here in Northern NH,

I made a frame out of 1.5 inch PVC. I didn't glue anything, just used twine to lace it all together. Side walls were 45 degrees, plenty of room to move around underneath and survived marvelously through a big snow year.

I can't yet post images or urls, but you should know what to do...

See:

picasaweb.google.com/fongemie/UnderCover

Preserved
Alberg 30
Old 10-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Welcome to the asylum PK...

These are the photos PK wanted to post. Looks good, but I don't see the twine.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-26-2008

preservedkillick is on a distinguished road
Thanks SailingDog!

If you look carefully, you can see the twine here
picasaweb.google.com/fongemie/StrippingToeRails#

We got so much snow last winter, and this cover turned out bombproof!

One small change I made mid winter, was to eliminate the 5 inch wide flat spot at the ridge by loosening up the tarp, and slipping a length of 2 inch pvc the length of the ridge, over the frame and under the tarp. That gave it a real peak and it sloughed snow just great.

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
Old 10-26-2008
Telstar 28

So, are those PVC pipes cemented together or just held in place by twine???

Telstar 28
New England

Old 10-26-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Wow, those are some tall covers. Of course that was a lot of snow in the photo - I don't think we ever had that much here. Still, I wonder about the windage of cover like that.