Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-26-2008

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
Wow, those are some tall covers. Of course that was a lot of snow in the photo - I don't think we ever had that much here. Still, I wonder about the windage of cover like that.
My college apartment was smaller than that!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Nice work, PreservedKillick! I see you are one of those lucky sailors with two boats!? (I see another under the shed, don't I?)

Also, I like your call sign -- Killick certainly is a memorable character!

Carry on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 10-26-2008

preservedkillick is on a distinguished road
Thanks Guys.

No cement was used. I got a big spool of twine and just lashed it all together. I had 2 or three vertical columns in along the center, and I did stick a screw through the joint to hold the column in.

I do admit that it is tall. I wanted to be able to move underneath. We started working on it through the winter. Lucky the boat sits in a protected spot with little high wind exposure.

JohnRPollard the other boat in the shed is a Catalina 22. Having two boats sometimes is a blessing, and other times a curse. We had the 22 in the water this year while we worked on the Alberg. Next season the 22 will probably stay in the shed since I damn well get the Alberg in the water. I also have a Hobie 16 that calls out when the water warms up!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
Old 10-26-2008

slokaj is on a distinguished road
We are also thinking of using a PVC frame and tarps to cover our boat this winter. Last year was our first year with the boat (Newport 28, kept in north Chicago suburbs) and the previous owner said he had never covered it; however we did get snow in the cabin after a late blizzard, so this year we definitely want some sort of cover. We were thinking of building a frame with the ridgeline over the boom, attaching the base to the toe rail and using line or bungees running under the hull or attached to the cradle to hold the tarps down. I've seen the tarp clips that have been referred to, but what is the superball? Any advice is appreciated as we're new at this (our other boat was a trailer sailer that we kept in a garage over the winter). thanks
Old 10-26-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
A super-ball is just a hard little ball that bounces like crazy. My wife found them in bags of 48 (IIRC) from some China something-or-other on-line discount store.

Jim
Old 10-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
slokaj-

These are superballs.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-27-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Guys, not sure but I think slokaj was asking what is the purpose/use of the superball.

Does anyone have a photo of the superball and line in use with the cover?

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 10-27-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
I saw comments that shrinkwrap was $1500? For what, a 60' boat? I'm paying $550 for a 42' X 13' boat (in white) with a reputable shrink wrap guy. Includes a clear door.
The wrap is recycled in special bins every spring.
Old 10-27-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Shrinkwrapping costs are highly location specific.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
I saw comments that shrinkwrap was $1500? For what, a 60' boat? I'm paying $550 for a 42' X 13' boat (in white) with a reputable shrink wrap guy. Includes a clear door.
The wrap is recycled in special bins every spring.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-27-2008

tommays will become famous soon enough
1500 dollar shrink wrap

I see yard people building many frames to support the shrink wrap this has to be a huge cost compared to giving them a boat ready to warp

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat