Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-18-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone View Post
Hi JohnRPolard,
did you mention where you had your canvas cover made? It looks great. I just got a quote from Fairclough and was a little shocked at the price, plus I'm not too keen on the complex structure. Any tips?
Hi,

I think I may have mentioned that the previous owner had the cover made, but it was brand new/never used when we bought the boat from him.

My recollection was that it came from Canvas Creations in Annapolis, but I recently checked their website and did not see any mention that they do winter covers. It was definitely an Annapolis outfit -- but there are no labels on the cover itself to I.D. it.

I saw the receipt when we bought the boat -- it wasn't cheap either (in the neighborhood of $4K).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2008

wildone is on a distinguished road
Thanks for checking anyway I think I know Canvas Creations in Annapolis. Heard lots of good things about it when I spent 4 months in Annapolis this spring. But pricey.
In that case I think I'll just go with shrinkwrapping, although I hate the waste of plastic and have heard that it can cause small blisters where it touches the gelcoat. Do you know if this is true?
Old 11-18-2008

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone View Post
Hi JohnRPolard,
did you mention where you had your canvas cover made? It looks great. I just got a quote from Fairclough and was a little shocked at the price, plus I'm not too keen on the complex structure. Any tips?
Actually the frame is real easy to put up. It took my wife an I about 90 min to put ours up including the wood. Not complicated at all.
2007 Hunter 49
Old 11-18-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Unless you're really strapped for time, there's no reason to pay the pros $1500 for shrink wrap every year. I've had good luck doing it myself. Three years ago I bought the heat gun, gloves and tape tightening tool, etc -- with the cover, tape and other consumables for that year it all came to about $750 or so. This year I bought the plastic and tape I needed for about $300. (Boat - 47 ft x 15 ft.) I use Dr. Shrink (Dr-Shrink.com - International Shrinkwrap Supplier , Wrap Anything! ).

I will admit that it takes a bit of practice to get it right, but if you're careful and follow instructions well you can probably manage it. It's easier if you have one or two people to help and small boats are easier than big ones. I'd be happy to share lessons learned -- send me a PM.
Old 11-20-2008

wildone is on a distinguished road
thanks for the advice billyruffn. I don't know if I dare do the shrink wrapping myself this year. I've heard from a few people that building a framework with Home Depot PVC pipes is quite simple, and then you can either have the homemade frame shrinkwrapped (making it considerably cheaper) or else cover the structure yourself with tarps or Home Depot 6 mil construction sheeting.
Unless anybody has any warnings about this plan (then please tell me), this one seems to make most sense to me so far.
Old 11-20-2008

jjns is on a distinguished road
Wildone
6mil may not be enough, it isn't just snow you have to worry about. I had many small tears over the winter caused by falling icicles from the mast/rigging, pointy things falling 20-30ft can do a lot of damage, at least the tarps have a weave that helps stop a tear, plastic sheeting will not. Repairs are easy enough with tyvec tape, only thing I found that would adhere to a cold tarp.
Old 11-22-2008

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
I actually had forgotten I made this post, and I'm stunned at the number of responses. I guess it's the time of year to talk about winter covers.

I also have to say I'm surprised at this post, and the threads to which it is linked. I guess I'm not "surprised," because these things exist all over the place on the Internet, so "disappointed" might be a better word.

Folks, when dealing with someone's business you need to be careful, and it is downright reckless to condemn a longtime family owned business because one guy posted in detail his view of a particular dispute. I'm not saying that he's right or he's wrong. It reads like he did not have a good experience, and maybe The Canvas Store could have handled it better, but to foster and affirmatively perpetuate the notion that this business is run by a bunch of fraudsters is reckless. I know of no business, NO BUSINESS, that doesn't have dissatisfied customers, and even for good reason. No business gets it right every time.

The Canvas Store in fact is a very reputable company. They have made thousands upon thousands of canvas products, shipped them all over the place, and as far as I can tell they have very few detracters. Again, I'm sure this one guy was dissatisfied, and maybe even correctly so. But that leads to the conclusion, at most, that The Canvas Store did not get it right this time, not that they never get it right, commit fraud, should be reported to the better business bureau, criminally prosecuted, run out of town, lynched, beaten with a wet noodle, etc. Get hold of yourselves.

I have had a fair bit of experience with a number of canvas and sail makers over the years. Certainly not more than anyone else, but enough to consider myself as having experience in the area and the basis for an opinion. My experience with The Canvas Store certainly has been anecdotal, but I'll tell you, The Canvas Store has been pretty much at the top of the list so far for quality, attention to detail, customer service, and timeliness (and price, which is not a plus). They built an entire suite of custom canvas for us, including dodger, bimini, connector piece, cockpit cushions, and full enclosure. And we had them deviate from their normal product in a couple of significant areas. They came to the boat to take measurements, the came back to do the install, they came back to make adjustments, they came back to correct a couple of things that were not exactly right, and they did it all in a matter of weeks. When we had a problem with how the bimini was laying while out on our cruise, they came to the boat, took the bimini, fixed it, brought it back, and reinstalled it. In a day! And with a smile and great attitude to boot.

As for quality, the final product is awesome. We have owned the boat only a few months, but we've gotten more compliments on our canvas than we got for the entire time we owned our last boat (6 years). Again, I'm not saying this other guy is wrong or that TCS didn't screw up his canvas (I really have no way of knowing one way or the other), but think twice before you set about helping to destroy a family business.

MS, no disrespect at all, and sorry if this reads like a rant. I'm sure you were just spreading the word in an effort to help unsuspecting consumers. I just find this kind of witch-hunt thing scary, particularly when it's directed at a small family business.

Respectfully,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post

Please use extreme caution when dealing with these guys!
The old adage "you get what you pay for" can be very true with canvas products!

Buyer Beware "The Canvas Store" (LINK)

Buyer Beware Part 2 "The Canvas Store" (LINK)

An this (LINK)

And this (LINK)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-04-2008
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
I installed our new cover on SOLARE today.

All in all I think it came out well, a good investment in protecting the boat as well as preserving the woodwork.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 12-04-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37SOLARE View Post
I installed our new cover on SOLARE today.

All in all I think it came out well, a good investment in protecting the boat as well as preserving the woodwork.
does your boat have bad gas?

sitting by itself with no buddies near by it looks pretty lonely

Nice cover rig
Old 12-04-2008
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
does your boat have bad gas?

sitting by itself with no buddies near by it looks pretty lonely
Well actually we have a understanding at the marina that my brother and I get to keep our boats together and for some reason they always put him in a very protected and prominent location. Just this year he decided to stop for a soda blast spa treatment before they move him next to me

Oh, and he has a Canvas Store cover that he just hates....

SOLARE
T-37 #442

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.