SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Winter Covers?

15K views 89 replies 29 participants last post by  Bene505 
#1 ·
Hi all!

I've been busy working and trying to get out sailing before the season comes to an end, so I haven't been able to troll too much.

Anyway, as we're getting into Fall, I'm thinking about winter covers, sadly enough. On our old boat we had a Fairclough cover, and it was great. Now, with the new boat, it's time to figure out what we're going to do.

It's about $1500 to shrink wrap and remove each year.

Fairclough wants $6500 to build a new cover for us, and they charge about $1300 to install, remove and store each year. So, notwithstanding the thought that paying upfront for a cloth cover saves you money in the long run, that's not really right, at least not with the Fairclough setup (you could theoretically install, remove and store the cover yourself, but that's not really practical for us, and frankly, few people do that).

The Canvas Store in Huntington, NY will build a boom-tent type cover for $4400. That one actually would be less expensive over the long run because I would deploy, remove and store it myself. But, it doesn't provide as much coverage and there is no standing on the deck when it's deployed.

Nothing's easy and there always are trade offs.

Anyone know of a good winter cover that doesn't cost nearly $7,000 to build? And if anyone has any good ideas, don't be shy.

DG

See less See more
#2 ·
I have been looking too

Hi Dan

I have some of the same issues-- I am going to try out a cover from Lohmann sails in BC Cda. I have nothing to do with the Co but the simple two piece-- no buidling of a winter structure appealed to me

Looks like I won't rec'v until Mid Nov-- so set up, while simple could be tricky at -20C ..:eek:

I can let you know later how it goes
L

#3 ·
My boat is in my brother's back yard for now. I got disgusted with the lousy tarps available, so I tried an alternative. I went to Home Depot and got a roll of Tyvek and some Tyvek tape. I joined panels of the stuff with the tape by overlapping each side by 2" and taping the panels together on both sides. Attachment points were made by taking a 3' length of tape and applying it to both sides with about 6" of the doubled tape extending off the edge of the tarp. I just wadded this tape up and tied a line to it with a buntline hitch. This only two weeks old, but it looks promising so far, as I haven't seen anything move, and we've had quite a bit of wind lately. According to DuPont's info, Tyvek maintains 50% of its strength after 2 years in the sun. The 9' by 100' roll was right at $100, the tape was something like $14. The tarps I was using cost $50 and lasted 4 or 5 months. You could cover a whole lotta boat with a 900 square foot roll. Might be worth a shot.

#4 ·
We used Quinte Canvas Manufacturing in Kingston Ontario. 1-800-268-4186 or email at topshop@kos.net. We have a 34'sabre. Overall I am very satisfied with the cover. It comes with an aluminum frame that is color coded and relatively easy to install. We are going into our fourth winter and it has held up. I can install or take down in an afternoon. Time includes storing or removing from the basement. I have easily put the cover on and off by myself but it is far easier and more efficient with my wife. The cost for the entire system was 2562.00 (US dollars). The cover was shipped common carrier to Nantucket, Massachusetts. It is far better than shrink wrap, especially with landfill space or finding a recycle center that will take shrink shreds.

#7 ·
#77 ·
I actually had forgotten I made this post, and I'm stunned at the number of responses. I guess it's the time of year to talk about winter covers.

I also have to say I'm surprised at this post, and the threads to which it is linked. I guess I'm not "surprised," because these things exist all over the place on the Internet, so "disappointed" might be a better word.

Folks, when dealing with someone's business you need to be careful, and it is downright reckless to condemn a longtime family owned business because one guy posted in detail his view of a particular dispute. I'm not saying that he's right or he's wrong. It reads like he did not have a good experience, and maybe The Canvas Store could have handled it better, but to foster and affirmatively perpetuate the notion that this business is run by a bunch of fraudsters is reckless. I know of no business, NO BUSINESS, that doesn't have dissatisfied customers, and even for good reason. No business gets it right every time.

The Canvas Store in fact is a very reputable company. They have made thousands upon thousands of canvas products, shipped them all over the place, and as far as I can tell they have very few detracters. Again, I'm sure this one guy was dissatisfied, and maybe even correctly so. But that leads to the conclusion, at most, that The Canvas Store did not get it right this time, not that they never get it right, commit fraud, should be reported to the better business bureau, criminally prosecuted, run out of town, lynched, beaten with a wet noodle, etc. Get hold of yourselves.

I have had a fair bit of experience with a number of canvas and sail makers over the years. Certainly not more than anyone else, but enough to consider myself as having experience in the area and the basis for an opinion. My experience with The Canvas Store certainly has been anecdotal, but I'll tell you, The Canvas Store has been pretty much at the top of the list so far for quality, attention to detail, customer service, and timeliness (and price, which is not a plus). They built an entire suite of custom canvas for us, including dodger, bimini, connector piece, cockpit cushions, and full enclosure. And we had them deviate from their normal product in a couple of significant areas. They came to the boat to take measurements, the came back to do the install, they came back to make adjustments, they came back to correct a couple of things that were not exactly right, and they did it all in a matter of weeks. When we had a problem with how the bimini was laying while out on our cruise, they came to the boat, took the bimini, fixed it, brought it back, and reinstalled it. In a day! And with a smile and great attitude to boot.

As for quality, the final product is awesome. We have owned the boat only a few months, but we've gotten more compliments on our canvas than we got for the entire time we owned our last boat (6 years). Again, I'm not saying this other guy is wrong or that TCS didn't screw up his canvas (I really have no way of knowing one way or the other), but think twice before you set about helping to destroy a family business.

MS, no disrespect at all, and sorry if this reads like a rant. I'm sure you were just spreading the word in an effort to help unsuspecting consumers. I just find this kind of witch-hunt thing scary, particularly when it's directed at a small family business.

Respectfully,

#8 ·
Mom & Dad have a fairclough for their Freedom 38. It takes Dad & me ~ 2 hours boatside to set it up & get it covered. It goes even faster with a third set of hands. From a long term cost & environmental perspective, it is the best choice. You do need some storage space at home for the framing materials. If you are unable or unwilling to do the manual labor part - hire a couple teenagers (perhaps some of the local dockhands / launch drivers) - even at $50 each you're money ahead.

#13 ·
If it helps, here is a pic of my boom tent. It can be extended to cover the entire boat but serves little purpose to my mind to do that.
Clearly you have not experienced a North East winter with an uncovered boat..;) Condensation is the enemy and you need to be covered up here! Trust me you don't want three feet of snow sitting directly on the deck..

#10 · (Edited)
I think I'd avoid the Canvas Store in Huntington, NY... they remind me far too much of Peter Kennedy Yacht Services in Annapolis, MD.

BTW, if you need custom electrical work done in Annapolis, DO NOT USE Peter Kennedy or his company. Here's why I say it. LINK, LINK, LINK

#11 ·
Sorry for problems some have had but I've had a Canvas Store cover for the last 4 years. I had to have it recut as it didn't fit properly over the arch since my 44' sailboat is a semi-custom design.

For $3000 it's a good value, it comes down to the toerail and doesn't cover the Awlgrip hull which could cause blisters.

There are several others at the marina who have one and are pleased. Steve comes down to the marina and takes measurements for unusual designs.

Ronbo

#16 ·
Not sure if this helps but I had Doyle Sails make it - $1500 in 2001 for the main piece and a few hundred for the extension (I used only once). No clue what today's market would bear but it doesn't hurt to shop around. They are not that difficult to construct so the labor charge should still be reasonable and obviously the material is your choice.

#14 ·
Well for the last 16 years I have stored my boat outside on Long Is. NY. I have a boom tent similar to the k1vsk one. My last one was too rotten to repair after last winter, so Jack Wedekind of Port Jefferson, NY is building me a new one for (estimated) $1200. The boat being covered is a 1972 Allied Mistress 39 and the tent just covers the (center) cockpit area with the cabin to the main mast forward and the aft cabin to the mizzen covered.

#17 ·
We almost bought a boat with a Fairclough cover -- am glad we didn't because of the complexity of set-up/take-down and the hassle of storing the framing.

We have a full winter cover that works in or out of the water, supported by the boom and halyards over the foredeck. We can walk around on deck under the cover, but up at the bow we have to stoop quite a bit. We have never had any issue with condensation.

#25 ·
FWIW my boat's winter cover is a couple of large tarps over a frame made of EMT tubing (I'll probably use sched. 40 plastic tubes next). It ain't pretty but hopefully will keep the precipitation out (though I bought presumably heavy duty tarps online and they turned out to be kinda mediocre).

#27 ·
Brak-

Depending on where you live, it might be better to stick to the EMT, since the PVC Sched 40 pipe gets a bit brittle in cold temperatures in my experience.

#26 ·
Wow! I cannot imagine not covering the whole boat here in Michigan. I've done without and inevitably ended up with damage due to my negligence. The freeze thaw cycle will find any deficiencies in watertight integrity and make them into a more serious problem. I really don't want to get into the bone headed decision that led to my leaving the boat uncovered last year for a good portion of the winter. The money spent this spring was nothing as compared to the amount of time I spent for such laziness and stupidity. "Just a little rain" has a way of changing into "aw shucks" or maybe something a bit stronger. My hair hurts thinking about it.

#31 ·
Last year made a frame of 4" PVC for the ridge, supported by 2" PVC vertical struts, then high-pressure sprinkler hose for the ribs. Used four tarps to cover her. The tarps did not work well, so this year we're trying a pool cover on the recommendation of a fellow club-member.

Jim

#32 ·
boy at this expense you would think pulling the mast and using an indoor boatel might be cheaper. of course i am right by the inner harbor and my boat will be wet all winter, just a few sweepings to get the snow off. i might need to make 5 trips, and the harbor has not frozen but once in the last 50 years

#34 · (Edited)
I don't doubt that you can find tarps on-line but in most areas you'll find someone selling them inexpensively. In my case, there's a discount tool outlet nearby that also serves as "tarp and glove world". As mentioned above, swimming pool companies will be able to tell you where to get large sized visqueen although I think a tarp will work better. A local roofer would be able to provide you with information on where to get large tarps.

There were photos of someone's emt structure here last year...he was a tube bending whiz! I assume you've seen my earlier link to how to build a pvc structure. There's no reason that structure has to be mounted on deck either; you could build the base frame work on the ground.

Be sure to buy a pvc tubing cutter of the ratcheting scissors type...it'll make things go inestimably faster. And label the various tubes and fittings....no, you won't remember where they go a year from now. (g)

You might also want to have a grommet making kit on hand; that way you can add holes to your tarp where they're needed. You can get quite a few years out of a tarp if it's not flapping around.

#36 ·
Hamilton Marine has some pretty good tarps at reasonable prices...

#38 ·
SEMIJIm-

Good point about taping over the grommets...they can do a job on the hull finish if you don't, and again... DON'T USE THE GROMMETS. They will tear out if you have the tarp tensioned properly. Use the superball and cord or grip clips...

#39 ·
i used 1/2" emt last year to build a frame and bought some tarps from home depot. i used 3 tarps for my 30'er. one went from the stern to the mast on the port side, one from stern to mast on starboard, and one from mast to bow. with all the rigging, it wasn't a very tight fit around all the rigging but it probably kept out about 90% of the snow and worked pretty good.

#40 ·
i used all the grommets on the tarps last year and didn't have a problem with any of them tearing out although there were some marks on the hull where they rubbed over the winter. those buffed out this spring but this year i'm going to cover them with something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.