SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Winter Covers? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/47436-winter-covers.html)

danielgoldberg 09-24-2008 03:21 PM

Winter Covers?

Hi all!

I've been busy working and trying to get out sailing before the season comes to an end, so I haven't been able to troll too much.

Anyway, as we're getting into Fall, I'm thinking about winter covers, sadly enough. On our old boat we had a Fairclough cover, and it was great. Now, with the new boat, it's time to figure out what we're going to do.

It's about $1500 to shrink wrap and remove each year.

Fairclough wants $6500 to build a new cover for us, and they charge about $1300 to install, remove and store each year. So, notwithstanding the thought that paying upfront for a cloth cover saves you money in the long run, that's not really right, at least not with the Fairclough setup (you could theoretically install, remove and store the cover yourself, but that's not really practical for us, and frankly, few people do that).

The Canvas Store in Huntington, NY will build a boom-tent type cover for $4400. That one actually would be less expensive over the long run because I would deploy, remove and store it myself. But, it doesn't provide as much coverage and there is no standing on the deck when it's deployed.

Nothing's easy and there always are trade offs.

Anyone know of a good winter cover that doesn't cost nearly $7,000 to build? And if anyone has any good ideas, don't be shy.

DG

lynn1120 09-24-2008 04:20 PM

I have been looking too

Hi Dan

I have some of the same issues-- I am going to try out a cover from Lohmann sails in BC Cda. I have nothing to do with the Co but the simple two piece-- no buidling of a winter structure appealed to me

Looks like I won't rec'v until Mid Nov-- so set up, while simple could be tricky at -20C ..:eek:

I can let you know later how it goes
L

Splashme 09-24-2008 04:52 PM

My boat is in my brother's back yard for now. I got disgusted with the lousy tarps available, so I tried an alternative. I went to Home Depot and got a roll of Tyvek and some Tyvek tape. I joined panels of the stuff with the tape by overlapping each side by 2" and taping the panels together on both sides. Attachment points were made by taking a 3' length of tape and applying it to both sides with about 6" of the doubled tape extending off the edge of the tarp. I just wadded this tape up and tied a line to it with a buntline hitch. This only two weeks old, but it looks promising so far, as I haven't seen anything move, and we've had quite a bit of wind lately. According to DuPont's info, Tyvek maintains 50% of its strength after 2 years in the sun. The 9' by 100' roll was right at $100, the tape was something like $14. The tarps I was using cost $50 and lasted 4 or 5 months. You could cover a whole lotta boat with a 900 square foot roll. Might be worth a shot.

ambianceack 09-24-2008 07:23 PM

We used Quinte Canvas Manufacturing in Kingston Ontario. 1-800-268-4186 or email at topshop@kos.net. We have a 34'sabre. Overall I am very satisfied with the cover. It comes with an aluminum frame that is color coded and relatively easy to install. We are going into our fourth winter and it has held up. I can install or take down in an afternoon. Time includes storing or removing from the basement. I have easily put the cover on and off by myself but it is far easier and more efficient with my wife. The cost for the entire system was 2562.00 (US dollars). The cover was shipped common carrier to Nantucket, Massachusetts. It is far better than shrink wrap, especially with landfill space or finding a recycle center that will take shrink shreds.

sailaway21 10-25-2008 05:16 PM

Here's an idea that is inexpensive and reusable. The cover itself is easily replaceable at your local blue tarp supplier!
boat cover, winterizing, tarp, blue cover

Quickstep192 10-25-2008 05:30 PM

I got a cover for a powerboat from these folks. It was reasonably priced, and has held up quite well. They're in Burlington NJ and worth a try.

Maine Sail 10-25-2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielgoldberg (Post 374053)
Hi all!
The Canvas Store in Huntington, NY will build a boom-tent type cover for $4400.
DG

Please use extreme caution when dealing with these guys!
The old adage "you get what you pay for" can be very true with canvas products!

Buyer Beware "The Canvas Store" (LINK)

Buyer Beware Part 2 "The Canvas Store" (LINK)

An this (LINK)

And this (LINK)

hazmat17 10-25-2008 06:30 PM

Mom & Dad have a fairclough for their Freedom 38. It takes Dad & me ~ 2 hours boatside to set it up & get it covered. It goes even faster with a third set of hands. From a long term cost & environmental perspective, it is the best choice. You do need some storage space at home for the framing materials. If you are unable or unwilling to do the manual labor part - hire a couple teenagers (perhaps some of the local dockhands / launch drivers) - even at $50 each you're money ahead.

k1vsk 10-25-2008 06:32 PM

Boom tent cover

http://picasaweb.google.com/dberger3...48098510552914

If it helps, here is a pic of my boom tent. It can be extended to cover the entire boat but serves little purpose to my mind to do that.

sailingdog 10-25-2008 06:53 PM

I think I'd avoid the Canvas Store in Huntington, NY... they remind me far too much of Peter Kennedy Yacht Services in Annapolis, MD.

BTW, if you need custom electrical work done in Annapolis, DO NOT USE Peter Kennedy or his company. Here's why I say it. LINK, LINK, LINK