SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Brown Stove Works Inc - super service (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/47446-brown-stove-works-inc-super-service.html)

rikhall 09-24-2008 08:29 PM

Brown Stove Works Inc - super service

Hi all

We have just purchased a 1980 sailboat. It has a 3-burner propane stove with oven for which I am very happy. I love to cook. But, no manual or instructions. I took pictures of the boat when I was down in August and looked at one of the pictures yesterday and was able to blow it up large enough to see the name "Brown" on the stove.

I did a web search and found "Brown Stove Works Inc. - serving our customers for over 70 years" As far as I could tell they only do home
and commercial stoves now. There was no email for service, but there
was one for sales. So, late last night I sent them an email that said:

==================
" Please pass this email to whomever is best able to answer my questions.
We have just purchased a 1980 sailboat. It has a Brown propane stove.
There is no manual nor are there any instructions. Any help you can
give me in acquiring a manual or a copy of one would be super."
==================

I never really thought I would hear anything - but I figured what the heck!

This afternoon I received an email from the Service department - short
and sweet:

=============
"Please provide the mailing address for this to be mailed to.

Thank you,

Allen

Parts & Svc."
===============

So - hats off to Allen at the Brown Stove Works Inc!

Service the old fashioned way! Ya got to love it!

sailingdog 09-24-2008 10:19 PM

I wouldn't be too happy about their service...until you get the manual in the mail. :)

bobmcgov 09-25-2008 12:27 AM

No -- DO be happy about Brown Stove Works, and spread the word with clarion calls.:) I wanted a small kitchen range for my house and, completely by accident, stumbled across a 20" beauty in a flea market. Oven had never been used, built rock solid, convertable LP/natural gas. For $75 it was mine. Called Brown Stove Works (of St. Louis, IIRC?) and the dude who answered the phone walked me thru the conversion to LP, including air inlet settings and how to optimize the flame. Clearly knew the product inside and out.

Later, I learned the revolving-profit Sustainable Village sends this very Brown Stove to developing countries because it is bulletproof, affordable, tolerant of many fuels, and very efficient.

This is a good company, built on values I cherish. Praise them.

ETA: Nope, I tell a lie -- Cleveland, TN.

rikhall 09-25-2008 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 374322)
I wouldn't be too happy about their service...until you get the manual in the mail. :)

With all the posts I read about companies not even responding to phone calls, I think I am off to a pretty good start. I also got a very nice email off line from a Sailnet boater saying he had the manual for my stove model and would copy it for me if I wanted him to do so.

sailingdog 09-25-2008 05:52 PM

Sailnet is a pretty good community... :)

rikhall 10-17-2008 11:35 PM

Just an update - yes - Brown Stove Works Inc mailed me the manual as promised. Nice to see good customer service.

bubb2 10-17-2008 11:43 PM

I love happy endings

sailingdog 10-18-2008 05:32 AM

Wonderful. :)