Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-25-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Omatako's solution looks good too, but I'm not sure where you would store that when not in use and I'm not sure whether it's vented to the outside or not, because air circulation is critical.

Quote:
Still,

We discussed heaters generically in a couple of threads last year. Search "cabin heaters" and you should find a couple threads that cover the pros and cons of the various types. Good info there.
I should have did that John...sorry..

I actually found one Sailnet thread after the fact while doing a google search late last night...but as long as were into it now lets keep going..if its OK with everyone.?

So it seems so far that everyone with a Dickerson has gone propane ...I was actually leaning to the diesel for two reasons... 1st) larger BTU output and... 2nd) the gas issue ( lets not go there..as Im ok with it it already in the boat anyway )

Iv thought about Johns forced air hes installing running on diesel thats another option to check out Im pretty sure im going to need 15000 BTUs to really make a dent though.

I still cant quite give up on wood though..We heat our home almost entirely by wood and yes its a little messy in two ways fly ash when say opining the door or cleaning out the firebox and just from the handeling and storing of the wood...Seems like the consensus is its more visual then practical heat out put wise but I was considering maybe something larger then suggested..something like this..
Attached Thumbnails
Cabin Heat-bluecod_stainedglassdoor.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Still, no worries on the old threads. I wasn't criticizing, just trying to be helpful in making you aware that there's a lot of good info on the topic here at SailNet.

I like those mini-woodstoves like the Halibut, Sardine, etc form Navigator ( Traditional Cast Iron Marine Stoves by Navigator Stove Works,Inc. ). My wife wants me to install one in our kitchen!

Here's the thing: I know several people with solid fuel and diesel heaters. They all complain about the residue left on deck. You can reduce it by getting a flue extension, but those can't usually be used underway. Also, I think it would be pretty messy to haul and store wood on the boat. Cleaner pellets can be used, but again, it's yet one more fuel to load aboard.

The propane is clean and easy, if that's what you've got for your galley already. The visible flame is REALLY nice too. Just my opinion, others may vary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-25-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
OR this...............
Attached Thumbnails
Cabin Heat-jotul_f602.jpg  
Old 09-25-2008
Handsome devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Still, no worries on the old threads. I wasn't criticizing, just trying to be helpful in making you aware that there's a lot of good info on the topic here at SailNet.

I like those mini-woodstoves like the Halibut, Sardine, etc form Navigator ( Traditional Cast Iron Marine Stoves by Navigator Stove Works,Inc. ). My wife wants me to install one in our kitchen!

Here's the thing: I know several people with solid fuel and diesel heaters. They all complain about the residue left on deck. You can reduce it by getting a flue extension, but those can't usually be used underway. Also, I think it would be pretty messy to haul and store wood on the boat. Cleaner pellets can be used, but again, it's yet one more fuel to load aboard.

The propane is clean and easy, if that's what you've got for your galley already. The visible flame is REALLY nice too. Just my opinion, others may vary.
Thanks John...You bring up a good point about deck mess and the benefits of clean burning propane..I only have propane locker storage for 2 of the small what are they 8 may be 10 lb bottles..heck maybe there 12 or so I really dont know the size..1/2 the size of a standard 20 lb anyway..So how long a burn time do you guys get?

Got to go to work check in later..Thanks every one.

Oh ...Faster ..Good Eye on spying that space in front of the mast..if it was about 6" deeper It would be a no-brainer to put it there but Im afraid of burns and or skinned knees negotiating around the table even when not in use. And/or someone using the chimney for a handhold while underway.

Last edited by Stillraining; 09-25-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-25-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Diesel Antartic stove. Burns up to 1 gallon of diesel/24 hrs. plumbed in to our main tanks. Minimal stuff to go wrong but needs to be mounted with heeling in mind if used underway. Every once in a while, we get some soot on the deck like JohnRPollard mentioned. Nice ambience with the visible flame. An alternate cooking source. Plumbs in to our hot water tank, so we have hot water in the morning. Plenty of BTU's, although it takes a little while to heat up the boat (unlike one of those forced air diesel stove). Quiet.

La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Last edited by erps; 09-25-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-25-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
.I only have propane locker storage for 2 of the small what are they 8 may be 10 lb bottles..heck maybe there 12 or so I really dont know the size..1/2 the size of a standard 20 lb anyway..So how long a burn time do you guys get?
I have been impressed with the modest fuel consumption of our P9000. Certainly, it depends on how much time you spend aboard. We also have 2, 10 lb propane tanks, but it has been more than adequate to have a good heat source for an entire season, using the boat as a weekender and vacations.

If you go with the larger P12000 unit, of course it would use more fuel.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-25-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
I have been impressed with the modest fuel consumption of our P9000. Certainly, it depends on how much time you spend aboard. We also have 2, 10 lb propane tanks, but it has been more than adequate to have a good heat source for an entire season, using the boat as a weekender and vacations.

If you go with the larger P12000 unit, of course it would use more fuel.
You're right, John, the usage seems pretty good (low) to us too.. and especially if you think to turn the flame down once you're comfortable..

Still, if you read the old threads somewhere I dug up the specs on the two Dickinson propane heaters.. IIRC it was around 80 hours/120 hours per 20 lb tank at full flame depending on model. We typically run ours for 3-4 hours at a time (and not overnight.. although I think it's safe enough to do so) on winter weekends so it's not like we're running up to refill tanks all the time.

Including galley stove use and spending 5-8 weeks aboard each summer (rarely using heater then, of course) we refill our 20lb propane tank once a year.. we do have a separate bottle for the BBQ.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-25-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Still:

Not to be a killjoy, but I think you maybe ought to think about whether you even want a heater.

I have a bulkhead mounted diesel heater on my C30, and I've used it exactly twice in the past 3 winters.

Our kids are about the same age, and I don't know about your family's attitudes, but in general, if it's cold enough to require a heater, it's too cold for sailing.

When we cruise in the winter, it's generally weekenders to "civilization" at a marina with shore power. We just use an electric space heater then.

So, I wonder what use you will really get out of it...

I'm glad I have heat on my boat, but am not so sure that I would pay to add it.

Of course, you ARE farther north than Edmonds....

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 09-25-2008
Handsome devil

Im back...To nasty out to entice me to go play in the dirt today ...Man Im addicted to this place ( it didnt take much )...The only thing more fun then messing about on boats is talking about them.

Thats a fair question Dave and I'll try to answer that.

I know my Girls... if I can keep them warm their up for about anything..And even though they like dock amenities and exploring water front hamlets we all really like the solitude that only comes from anchoring out... Also my line of work gives me way more time off ( without pay ) in the winter..so funds for marina stays are less available but time for boating in general is greater.

Its a bummer but thats what it is..One of the many reasons I fall into the condo on the water type boat owner verses a more sporty pointing boat...Give em lots of room and open space, all the amenities of home and they will want to be out there with me...And I love my women with me if they arnt around and enjoying partaking in my life I dont enjoy doing it either. ..so heat it is. ...My old bones won't complain as much either.
Old 09-25-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by christyleigh View Post
Here's a picture of the Dickensen propane chimney exit on my last boat. I used 3 overlapping Boom Bails to keep the lines from snagging and in the 4 years after installation I never had a line snag.
That's clever. I like it.