Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-24-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Cabin Heat

This is a question for you northern guys and gals...YA ,YA, move to Florida I can here the rest of you now already..

So having to build a fire in the ol wood stove here at the house for the past few nights has got me thinking on how were going to endure the upcoming winter and the start of our sailing season aboard Eagle Knight.

The idea of cutting another hole in the cabin top to install some sort of refinement on Mr Franklin's invention isn't blowing my skirt up but neither is 5 elbows and lengths of pipe headed out the companionway Judd Clampett style either.

But Im pretty sure I do want some sort of solid fuel type arangment unless you can convince me otherwise.

So fire away with what you have or have had and pictures of your installation would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2008
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Still- great minds think alike, or maybe it's just the cold weather on my part...whatever. I'm starting to install a Wallas 40D forced air system tomorrow. I would love to have a woodstove or a bulkhead mount diesel or propane heater but no available wall space so I'm diving into the engine compartment to mount the Wallas. Nothing like a little crummy weather near the end of Sept. to make you start thinking about heat on the boat.

John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 09-24-2008

mtboat is on a distinguished road
I am using an outfitters woodstove. The type made for horse packin' , with wall tents. It is about the size of a 5 ga. bucket on its side with 10 inch legs. Many models out there, Cabelas is a good place to start. Chimney goes through the deck but when not in use or under sail the top 2 ft. of stove pipe comes out, and a circular hatch or cover swings over the hole and a wing nutted bolt secures. 2 1/2 inch stove pipe with a double wall roof jack means about a 5 in. hole. I am surrounded by firewood. If I had to buy firewood, I would seriously consider a pellet stove.
Old 09-24-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Cool John...

Eagle knight is equipped with Forced air heat as well but I was wanting something not requiring engine or gen-set noise in a quit anchorage some where.

I really dont have readily available bulk head space either so was hoping some creative souls out there had some clever ideas on the problum.

That 57' mast of mine would sure make one fine chimminy....
Old 09-25-2008

badsanta is on a distinguished road
You can get self contained diesel forced air heat with out running engine or genset.
Old 09-25-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
RainDrop,
Given that this is not just your boat we are talking about I think I should have some input.

Personally I'd go for one of those Dickinson things, smoke stack or no smoke stack. Diesel or Kerosene, even LPG is an option. Newport is the model we would instal but maybe for PNW you might need something a bit beefier.

They do still make a solid fuel heater but the problem with that has to be fuel stowage and don't try and tell me that a solid fuel heater is not going to be messy.

Thing I like about the Dickinsons is that you do see a flickering flame. That has to be nice.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 09-25-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Here''s the propane version of the Dickinson Newport TDW refers to.. relatively compact on the bulkhead, visible flame, TC protected and fully vented incl outside combustion air.

Here's another install on the larger version in our previous boat, which didn't have free bulkead space, so we build an alcove and sacrificed a small portion of a settee:

As a bit of a bonus we gained the little storage cubby behind the heater!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-25-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Here''s the propane version of the Dickinson Newport TDW refers to.. relatively compact on the bulkhead, visible flame, TC protected and fully vented incl outside combustion air.

Ron, just curious: Exactly how much heat do you get out the front of these things? Is there a limit to how close you can install combustibles (like the table) to the front of it??

(The only reason I ask is that you have an electric fan heater on the floor.. )

Cameron
Old 09-25-2008
Handsome devil

And good input it is..

I am warming up to the possible inevitability of a flue penetration through the deck but it will take some more wrestling in my mind though..Im not usually one to put ascetics above functionality but sill she has such a nice looking deck ...Alas if we must we must..I would really want to steer clear of anything but a straight vertical run if at all possible in the cabin though..just for ascetic's...ok I lied a little..

I like this set up as its tucked away from inadvertent stumbling into hot iron and it actually has potential in Eagle Knights existing layout with some cabinetry modifications.

All this more then likely depends on appropriate locations for a penetration in the deck that would not interfere with sail or line movement above deck or present a constant tripping hazard in a high traffic lane..Most likely I will have to sail her a while to figure thoes out.

These units seem to have the ability to heat your hot water tank as well which would be a plus.

Which would be better the Diesel or Propane?

Still...the smell of a little wood smoke wafting thru the cabin congers up the romantic in me so keep the ideas comming..
Attached Thumbnails
Cabin Heat-stove-3.jpg  

Last edited by Stillraining; 09-25-2008 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-25-2008
Handsome devil

Over there in the corner of the saloon is where I was thinking for that possible installation..We would not have to lose any of the settee either which is our only semblance to making any sort of sea birth underway.

One of the A/C and forced air heat units resides there but dosent take up that much of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Cabin Heat-irwin-starbard-settea.jpg  

Last edited by Stillraining; 09-25-2008 at 02:07 AM.