Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One thing you might want to consider, to make using the outboard safer, especially in heavier conditions... is a PowerTiller. It moves the throttle and shifter controls forward to the tiller.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2008

Aeolis is on a distinguished road
that is a really good idea, ill have to put that on my wish list
Old 09-26-2008
Misanthrope

TohatsuGuru is on a distinguished road
"I've heard that different manufacturers rate their horsepower differently."

No

"I even heard that a 4hp four stroke might have less power than a 3.5 two stroke."

Depends...In the case of the Tohatsu/Nissan/Mercury the answer would be no as the 4 is a detuned 6. However, a 4 is too small for a 2200 lb boat. You would need a 5 at a minimum and would be well served by getting a 6 pitch prop.
Old 09-26-2008

B747dx is on a distinguished road
NO NO NO!! Don't get rid of the Tohatsu. I have one, and I love it. There is a very simply modification you can make in 20 minutes to allow you to "use" an external tank. Basically, you jury rig an extra gas cap, then use the primer ball to refill your tank as needed. Works perfectly. Here's the link: Northwest Potters:
Old 09-28-2008

ReliableOutboardDOC is on a distinguished road
4 stroke woes

Here is the breakdown on the engines. You cannot beat the Tohatsu 4 , 5 , or even the 6 hp engines. The Nissan 3.5 that you have weighs only 30 pounds filled with fuel. I like the Tohatsu engine line up. I have worked for one of the best Marine outfitters as the service manager for the last 8 years here in soutrhern New England.

The Tohatsu 4,5,6 all weigh in at 55 pounds, 58 with the long shaft. The 4 dives you the option of using the internal tank but also has the capability of hooking up an external tank , purchased seperatley.The 5,6 are external tank only.I am not happy with the yamaha 4 engine nor am I happy with the Honda 5 hp weighing in at 62 pounds and also the old school Honda design withe the plastic vertical startee mechanism. People also like the Mercury 4.5.6 but they are produced by Tohatsu for Mercury along with all Mercury engines up to 30 hp
Old 10-24-2008
Daysailor wannabe cruiser

lans0012 is on a distinguished road
Bought a Nissan 6hp 25"

Hey gang,

Thank you for all of your previous responses. I thought I'd send an update to the quest for a better motor, and for any other ranger 22 owner out there. I bought a brand new Nissan 6 hp with a 25" shaft. It's awesome, quiet, sticks way down in the water and I couldn't be happier. In case I get serious about racing I kept the 3.5 2stroke that I had. The 6hp 4stroke is 30 pounds heavier than the 3.5 2strk and much harder to pull up and down on my bracket because of the raked transom, but I just leave it all the way down and tilt the motor all the way up and it is plenty far out of the water. I was in a nasty chop on Tampa bay the other day and my prop didn't ventilate once. Compared to every time a wave passed with the old 20" shaft. Price tag $1399 plus tax. 3 year warranty and also charges the battery. I leave the tank in the cockpit, no big deal.
Old 10-24-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Nothin like a little do-re-mi to solve a boating problem!
Old 10-25-2008
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by lans0012 View Post
Hey gang,

Thank you for all of your previous responses. I thought I'd send an update to the quest for a better motor, and for any other ranger 22 owner out there. I bought a brand new Nissan 6 hp with a 25" shaft. It's awesome, quiet, sticks way down in the water and I couldn't be happier. In case I get serious about racing I kept the 3.5 2stroke that I had. The 6hp 4stroke is 30 pounds heavier than the 3.5 2strk and much harder to pull up and down on my bracket because of the raked transom, but I just leave it all the way down and tilt the motor all the way up and it is plenty far out of the water. I was in a nasty chop on Tampa bay the other day and my prop didn't ventilate once. Compared to every time a wave passed with the old 20" shaft. Price tag $1399 plus tax. 3 year warranty and also charges the battery. I leave the tank in the cockpit, no big deal.
Glad to hear you found a motor that will work for you.

BTW my friend's ranger 22 that I crew on won 1st place in our fleet for the series, holding off a pair of J-24's. Bill bought a new mainsail in time for the last 2 race weekends, and we started cleaning up the J's even though one of the J-24's had a new main and jib.

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"