Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-25-2008

TheWastedYears is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheWastedYears
Bilge Pumping System Design

Hi All,

I'm redoing the bilge pump system for my 31'. C-31's don't have a lot of space between the sole and the hull, and the centerboard makes it an even tighter fit, so here's what I'm thinking:

Use a pump w/ both hose inlets and hose outlets (similar to the Gushers and sink pumps) and run a hose down into the bilge. That way, I have a very low intake point and a bilge pump that can be mounted where it's easy to service. So basically, it'd be roughly a 4 ft rise from bilge to pump, and then a 5 ft horizontal line to the stock transom thru-hull.

I plan on installing a Gusher to replace the original manual pump. Would there be any harm in having both pumps tie into a Y so that only one part of the Y accesses the thru-hull at a time? The goal, of course, is to minimize the number of thru-hulls in my boat.

My entire plan is to have three pumps:

Primary Pump: Something small (1200ish) w/ low float
Backup Pump: Something larger (3700ish) w/ higher float than primary
Manual Pump: Cockpit mounted Gusher

Right now, she has a 2" thru-hull for the bilge pump.

Would a manifold allow me to run this off one thru-hull, or would I be better off w/ more thru-hulls? Any advice would be appreciated.

1966 Columbia C-31
1977 Victoria 18
A copy of "Sailing For Dummies"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IMHO, you really should have separate throughhulls for the various pumps. Otherwise, they may end up causing problems for each other in an emergency.

BTW, you should also have two manual pumps in an ideal setup, with one usable in the cabin and one in the cockpit. This way if the weather is bad and you're stuck inside the boat and the batteries are dead, you can still pump out the bilge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-25-2008

I was thinking of a Thirtsy-Mate hand pump as a backup to the manual, just b/c it's great in a rainstorm if the cockpit drains clog (seems to happen to me quite a bit.)

1966 Columbia C-31
1977 Victoria 18
Old 09-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A thirsty mate is a navy-style piston pump and a really lousy choice as an emergency bilge pump. It gives you NO mechanical advantage, and generally has a very long and tiring throw to it and moves relatively little water compared to a good diaphragm pump. Navy style piston pumps are great as maintenance pumps, but really suck in an emergency. Diaphragm pumps, like a Whale Mk V are the way to go.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 09-26-2008

sander06 is on a distinguished road
Thru-hulls aren't necessarily bad unless they're in a position to sink the boat. The main super-duper bilge pump for our boat has a discharge thru-hull that is high in the stern just under the cap rail. If this discharge point is ever underwater it won't be because of that particular thru-hull. Just as an aside, plumbing multiple bilge pump discharges into a single discharge line is a real bear to get right, if not down right impossible. Your "ultimate-emergency-bilge-pump" discharge might not even need to have a dedicated thru-hull. Just toss the end of the discharge hose over the side and let her rip!! Simple!
Old 09-26-2008

Good point, Sander. I didn't think of that. If I'm already on my 4th and last pump, things clearly aren't going to be neat and tidy anyway.

I'm still in the process of accounting for all the thru-hulls. This boat had an automatic bilge pump at some point. I found the float switch, but the actual pump seems to be MIA. That still leaves me w/ the annerving question of how it evacuated and where that hose is.

So my concept of using a pump w/ an inlet hose (as opposed to those cartridge based in-bilge units) is a good one?

1966 Columbia C-31
1977 Victoria 18
Old 09-26-2008
Telstar 28

The only problem with using a pump with an inlet hose is that the pump must be capable of self-priming to that height of head. Most diaphragm pumps are capable of doing this, but most impeller-based electric bilge pumps ARE NOT IMHO. That is why most impeller-type bilge pumps are designed to have the pump sitting in the bilge.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 09-26-2008

I'll have to get some photos of the bilge area, but picture a W where the sides are the hull and the center peak is the housing for the centerboard.

I just don't see how to get a non-hosed pump down into the bilge. The centerboard housing stops where the engine begins (or where the engine would begin if it existed.)

A Rule500 fits down into the channel, but that's not even close to being the size pump I need.

1966 Columbia C-31
1977 Victoria 18

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.