Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm recommending that you install a BlueSea Dual Circuit Plus Battery Switch and an ACR or a BlueSea Dual Circuit Plus Battery Switch and an echo charger. You do not need both an echo charger and a battery combiner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Are you saying an install could benefit from both? How.
They look similar in function.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
The easiest..

the easiest thing to do to prevent frying the diodes is this.

#1 Remove and move the charging wire that goes from the alternator to the battery switch. Move the switch end of this wire and wire it direct to the house bank. Now you can not disconnect the "load" from the alternator with the engine running as it's now wired direct to the load/batteries.

#2 Add an ACR type charging relay, automatically combines banks when it senses charging voltage, or an Echo type charger which is basically a 12V battery charger that kicks on at charging voltages to charge the start bank without actually combining them.

You have retained your 1/2/OFF/BOTH switch but made it safe for your alternator. Just remember that it will not eliminate "stupidity" and the human factor of you leaving your switch in the "both" position and killing both banks...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Halekai-

If you find something that can eliminate "Stupidity", I'll buy a case or two of it and spray it at people I have to work with to make my life easier...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-01-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Did anybody see my post?
I am still wondering what you guys think of this set up?
I like it. It seems to be a little easier to use. Its obviuosly not fool proof. I never had a boat with this type of switching before and I am curious as to why there are not more out there like this.
Or just ignore it......
Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Am I the only one who does not have a typical battery swich?
This subject comes up a lot and I was wondering if my system is any better or worse or what you guys think.

Our boat does not have a battery switch as it is commonly reffered to, we have (3) T-Handles mounted down in the aft berth. (1) for the Gound, (1) for Battery 1;starting, and (1) for Battery 2; House Bank. I have tried to find a photo but I don't have one and I can't find an example of the set up anywhere on line.

With the handle in the Vertical position the battery is off, and in the Horizontal position the Battery is on.

I always leave the House on and use that to start the engine, when I want to charge the starting batt I flip the lever to Horizontal. No problems and it seems a lot less confusing than the typical 1, 2, Both. I simply have to remember to NEVER switch off both batteries or to flip both the handles to the Vertical position when the engine is running.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 10-01-2008
Telstar 28

TJK-

Can you post a photo of said battery switch setup???

Telstar 28
New England

Old 10-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
TJK-

Can you post a photo of said battery switch setup???
Don't have one currently, I can try to get one this weekend.
Go White Sox!

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 10-01-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Did anybody see my post?
I am still wondering what you guys think of this set up?
I like it. It seems to be a little easier to use. Its obviuosly not fool proof. I never had a boat with this type of switching before and I am curious as to why there are not more out there like this.
Or just ignore it......
Bump

My boat has the same set up, I like it also. It is easy to cut a battery in or out for charging or starting.
Old 10-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
My boat has the same set up, I like it also. It is easy to cut a battery in or out for charging or starting.
Thanks Mike.
I knew I couldn't be the only one out there.
When are you leaving for St. Pete's?

Old 10-01-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Thanks Mike.
I knew I couldn't be the only one out there.
When are you leaving for St. Pete's?
That's the typical French set-up. My sister's Bene 285 has it as well. She has two reds, and one black T-handle. I always thought the black was the combiner?

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 10-01-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
That's the typical French set-up. My sister's Bene 285 has it as well. She has two reds, and one black T-handle. I always thought the black was the combiner?

No John, that black one is the electrical disconnect, the one you don't want to touch when the engine is running!!!!!