SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Garhauer Rigid Boom Vang (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/47522-garhauer-rigid-boom-vang.html)

teshannon 09-27-2008 08:04 PM

Garhauer Rigid Boom Vang

Yesterday I installed a Garhauer rigid boom vang on my boat. All polished stainless steel construction. Fully rigged with blocks and tackle and with brackets custom made for my mast and boom. Very rugged construction. Total cost $412! I still don't know how they do that!

PBzeer 09-27-2008 08:09 PM

They sell direct only. Cuts out a lot of overhead.

chef2sail 09-28-2008 12:40 AM

I have slowly been replacing a lot of my equipment with garhauer brand. I also installed their large davits on my boat this summer and am super pleased with them. Many in my club/ marina have come over to check them out and will purchase similar in the future. I found them at the boat show a few years ago and their customer service, technical help and quality are beyond reproach. Needless to say I am a fan of Garhauer.

Dave

sailingdog 09-28-2008 01:29 AM

Garhauer has a very good rep and is OEM for a lot of boats now, including all the new Catalinas. I've used their blocks and have been very happy with their customer service.

T37Chef 09-28-2008 09:43 AM

TE, how about some pictures of that new shinny vang?

I too am a fan of Garhauer, as chef2sail mentions, they are great to deal with.

Their blocks seem to have some issues? My marina owner has used some of their blocks on his boat with poor results. Some others in the marina have used their blocks also with poor results. It seems that the bearings can't handle the loads as advertised, maybe moving up a size or two would solve the problem. Of course they are probably fine for cruisers, these results were on club racers boats.

teshannon 09-28-2008 09:50 AM

Chef,
We're heading off to Greece for 2 weeks. I'll try to get some pics when we get back.

T37Chef 09-28-2008 09:56 AM

Enjoy your trip!

chef2sail 09-28-2008 06:05 PM

I have seen the glint of the sun off those shiny new cowls...they really add to your boat Shaun

j34035 09-28-2008 08:59 PM

I too have had good luck with Garhauer. One neat thing with them is if you need a part tweaked, or modified, they will work with you to provide what you want, at a decent price. Good folks........
DD

Valiente 09-28-2008 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBzeer (Post 376162)
They sell direct only. Cuts out a lot of overhead.

I'll say. Bill F., the president, sells from a table at the Toronto Boat Show every January, with his wife (they both look well past 70). When I bought a traveller from them, a guy named Guido at the factory called my house and said "where do you want the holes to start? Every four inches? Two inches in or three or four? And do you want 1/4" or 5/16" holes?"

So I went down to the boat in a snowstorm and measured and phoned him back. Six weeks later, I had a finely machined six-foot girder of great beauty and smooth operation. Six hundred bucks, all in.